Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Serial numbers ?

Hi,

see this pic of pair of Alesis M1 Active speakers.

http://cdn1.gbase.com/usercontent/ge...4xiemwh_so.jpg

Note that what appears to be a bar code & serial number is the same on both boxes.

How common is this very annoying Chinese practice ?

Repairers *need* to distinguish one example of a product from another and will record serial numbers along with documentation of their work in order to do so.

Now that "everything is made in China" do we need to create our own and apply them internally to the item ?

.... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Waht the **** does "bass density" mean ? Wel probably nothing but what does it do I wonder. Just for the hell of it.

But the serial number problem, those ar both stand alone units I assume. If they somehow rquird each other to run your, well you would have called yourself some names or something.

All I can say is this, if you service one of them, MARK THE OTHER ONE. got the logic of that ? If oyu mark the one you serviced, they could mak a similar mark on the other one. But if you mark the one you did not service, they cannot unmark it.

And definitely tell them unless you want to gt up video evidence. In fact just do it and take a video of it.

If you check, the laws in most civilized countries do not prohibit the marking of a "serviced" unit by a servicer. For reference purposes of course. Of course. This is reference purposes.

And on the paperwork you put A. That is the one you fixed. The other one is B, the one you marked.

In some of these hack shops I worked on things had no serial numbers. I was trying to tell them to at least use the last four digits ust for identification purposes. They never listened, and they got burnt a couple of times. Fukum. Especially now.

But I am happier freelance anyway. The basement turns into a shop I guess. At least I will move in an upward direction.

Whatever.

(this is not personallly to you or anyone)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thank you for the opportunity to rant. Big time.

These mother****rs, two of my better jobs, probably because I was the only one with ****ing bran, just did not get the ****ing hint. and that is why I owuld never work commission for them. Oh ****y baby, on comjish I ****ing railedem. Over $30 an hour in the 1980s.

But I told them and told them and told them, put at least the last four digits of the serial number on the ticket, reciept, invoice. Whatever the **** you chose to call it. Write down four ****ing numbers to protect yourself from fraud. If m and my buddy have identical pieces of equipment and I bring mine in adn you fix it, if you don't write down the serial nuber I cna bring his in and you have to fix it for free.

Unprove that. You are talking about a dispute that hurts your business. I say prevent it.

Whatever.

It's amazing some p[eople even remeber to breathe.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Phil Allison wrote:

Hi,

see this pic of pair of Alesis M1 Active speakers.

http://cdn1.gbase.com/usercontent/ge...4xiemwh_so.jpg

Note that what appears to be a bar code & serial number is the same on both boxes.

How common is this very annoying Chinese practice ?

FWIW, the (21) is actually an indentifier for the number being a serial,
so you are correct.

But being Chinese, I'd bet there are thousands with the same serial
number. Hell, maybe they're even fake. MK Sound was stupid and tried
having stuff made in China to save money, and were then shocked when the
fakes were outselling the legit ones, which were still chinese, and who
the **** wants that? It turns out nobody. Typical greedy asshole MBA
logic.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 19:20:24 -0700 (PDT), Phil Allison
wrote:

http://cdn1.gbase.com/usercontent/ge...4xiemwh_so.jpg
Note that what appears to be a bar code & serial number is the same on both boxes.

I wonder if all the speakers of the same model have the same serial
number? I once bought a pile of counterfeit ethernet cards, all with
the same MAC address. The speakers in the photo look real, but if
Alesis claims that duplicate serial number is not their standard
practice, I would be suspicious of the speakers.

Might as well check. This is the only image of the back of an Alesis
M1 Active 620 speaker that I could find with Google image search.
http://sales.brick7.co.za/media/za/798701_798800/798720_359a6a0dcb51c0ba.jpg
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/Alesis-M1-Active-620.jpg
I can't really read the entire serial number, but the few digits that
are readable (09077) are NOT the same as yours. However, they seem to
be identical serial numbers on both speakers, which confirms the
practice by Alesis. Maybe they do some kind of matching that requires
the speakers be tested and shipped in pairs?

How common is this very annoying Chinese practice ?

I don't know. My problems don't arrive in pairs and I don't fix
amplified speakers.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Waht the **** does "bass density" mean ?

** Refer to the operating manual ....

All I can say is this, if you service one of them, MARK THE OTHER ONE.

** Only the faulty item arrives on my beach, owners keep the other.

( FYI: the pic of a pair together is off Google Images )

I became aware of the issue today, when comparing the number on the one I have with a 3 year old invoice covering the other one for the same fault.

I posted the story here in September, 2011.

See Google Images pic of the problem coil covered in yellow glue.

http://www.bluepeak.co.uk/edd/alesis1.jpg

The coil ( which runs a tad warm) develops shorted turns and the PCB catches fire near it - resulting is dead mosfets, SMPS IC, diodes etc.

Compounding the issue is the fact there is no mains off switch on the unit.

..... Phil
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Cydrome Leader wrote:
Phil Allison wrote:

http://cdn1.gbase.com/usercontent/ge...4xiemwh_so.jpg
Note that what appears to be a bar code & serial number is the same
on both boxes.

FWIW, the (21) is actually an indentifier for the number being a
serial, so you are correct.

Just curious... is this a Chinese standard, or worldwide, or...? Are
there other prefix numbers that indicate other things, like a model
number?

Thanks!

Matt Roberds

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 22:58:07 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 19:20:24 -0700 (PDT), Phil Allison
wrote:
...snip...
How common is this very annoying Chinese practice ?

I don't know. My problems don't arrive in pairs and I don't fix
...snip...

Back in 70's when HP held monthly meetings of the 'Electric Car' group,
there was a guy giving a presentation on making his electric care and
describing his experience at getting a 'custom' motor from China. At that
time all the electrical enthusiasts were grabbing the starter motors out
of the discarded WWII bombers. Seems the motor had great specs for running
a car. This guy sent the specs to China and had a Manufacturer make one
for him, copying the 'design of those starter motors, with improvements.
He showed his first shipment motor and its serial number. He noted that
here in the US, EVERYBODY obfuscates the fact that something is one of the
first of Production so invent very long, meaningless string of numbers,
like 11001001 to be the first unit and so on. But this Chinese unit
clearly showed 002, and the guy made the comment he didn't know where 001
was, perhaps failed, perhaps kept. But he he was as surprised as everyone
there that they clearly showed how non-mature the product was with a
serial number of 002.

He also showed pictures of his visit to the Manufacturer. There was a huge
warehouse type room of very expensive winding machines, huge, costly
machines, but the overall space was so dark with only tiny little lights
showing, looked like starbrights across this cavernous space. He explained
that they had all this expensive capital equipment, but ONLY the work
spaces for threading the machines were lighted, ...whith what looked like
singer sewing machine light bulbs! He also lamented it was often too dark
to even get a useable photo.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
Cydrome Leader wrote:
Phil Allison wrote:

http://cdn1.gbase.com/usercontent/ge...4xiemwh_so.jpg
Note that what appears to be a bar code & serial number is the same
on both boxes.

FWIW, the (21) is actually an indentifier for the number being a
serial, so you are correct.

Just curious... is this a Chinese standard, or worldwide, or...? Are
there other prefix numbers that indicate other things, like a model
number?

there are standards, and there are hundreds of "application identifiers"
as they're called. Here's some:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GS1-128

The give-away you're not looking at just random house data is a long
barcode and (xx) in the human readable section.

Supply chain folks love this type of data, which is why components from
major distributors come with 4000 barcodes and 4 bags per pack of 5 LED or
whatever you're ordering. Once you notice this sort of barcode, you'll
start to see it everywhere.

As for codes for a model number, GTIN may be the closest thing, but rarely
is this the actual model number of product. It will be a unique number
which then maps to an actual product.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

http://cdn1.gbase.com/usercontent/ge...4xiemwh_so.jpg
Note that what appears to be a bar code & serial number is the same on both boxes.

I wonder if all the speakers of the same model have the same serial
number? I once bought a pile of counterfeit ethernet cards, all with
the same MAC address. The speakers in the photo look real, but if

I worked at an cable company that handed out hundreds of routers for cable
modems that all had the same MAC address (problem at the factory). The
amazing part was it sort of worked for weeks or months until somebody
realized there was a problem and then traced it down.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, September 15, 2014 10:20:24 PM UTC-4, Phil Allison wrote:
Hi,

see this pic of pair of Alesis M1 Active speakers.

http://cdn1.gbase.com/usercontent/ge...4xiemwh_so.jpg

Maybe it's not a serial number but a UPC (product ident. code.) They scan and count for inventory at the factory.. or something.

George H.

Note that what appears to be a bar code & serial number is the same on both boxes.

How common is this very annoying Chinese practice ?

Repairers *need* to distinguish one example of a product from another and will record serial numbers along with documentation of their work in order to do so.

Now that "everything is made in China" do we need to create our own and apply them internally to the item ?

... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 16/09/2014 12:20 PM, Phil Allison wrote:

Hi,

see this pic of pair of Alesis M1 Active speakers.

http://cdn1.gbase.com/usercontent/ge...4xiemwh_so.jpg

Note that what appears to be a bar code & serial number is the same
on both boxes.

How common is this very annoying Chinese practice ?

Repairers *need* to distinguish one example of a product from another
and will record serial numbers along with documentation of their work
in order to do so.

Now that "everything is made in China" do we need to create our own
and apply them internally to the item ?

**I usually place an ID sticker inside the product after service, with
my own reference number and date serviced. I never thought much about it
until a smartarse brought an amp in for service, claiming that my prior
repair was faulty. No internal ID sticker, but the serial number matched
one in my database. I decided to call him out. The arsehole had swapped
the serial numbers over on two identical amps. It's only time I've ever
seen it happen, but at least the system saved me.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Cydrome Leader wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GS1-128

Thanks!

Supply chain folks love this type of data, which is why components
from major distributors come with 4000 barcodes and 4 bags per pack
of 5 LED or whatever you're ordering.

If you're ordering small quantities of surface-mount parts, it's
probably not hard for the barcodes and bag to weigh more than the parts.
If the barcodes were printed on an inkjet printer, they're probably
worth more than the parts, too!

Once you notice this sort of barcode, you'll start to see it
everywhere.

Thinking about it now, I've seen the (xx)yyyy... codes before, I just
didn't know what they meant.

Matt Roberds

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message
[...]

I too have my own repair number system, and a label gets stuck on the unit
with the date and repair number on it. Details of the repair are recorded by
me against the allocated number. The stickers are custom printed for me and
have glue that does not release easily and cleanly. That would make it very
hard for anyone to swap my label onto another unit. When the owner collects
the item from the shop that took it in, the owner is warned not to remove
the sticker, as it serves as his proof of warranty in the event of any kind
of bounce. No sticker ? No warranty. Date more than 3 months on from the
date on the sticker ? No warranty.

It's a very unambiguous system that is quick and easy for any person behind
the counter in any of the shops that I do work for, and saves them having to
check paperwork and look things up on the computer. If they want to record a
serial number on their booking-in paperwork, that's fine, but it doesn't
ultimately affect me or my system, which has served me well for 35 years.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 7:22:20 AM UTC-4, Arfa Daily wrote:

I too have my own repair number system, and a label gets stuck on the unit

with the date and repair number on it. Details of the repair are recorded by

me against the allocated number. The stickers are custom printed for me and

have glue that does not release easily and cleanly.

I used to use custom labels, but nowadays I just a fine tip Sharpie and put in my own reference # as well as an encoded date.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"I too have my own repair number system, and a label gets stuck on the unit
with the date and repair number on it."

Y'know, those could be done by the folks who print custom bumper stickers.

Commercial mirror adhesive hasd a spray to spray on the windshield before you apply the glue. This stuff applied aforehand, on metal or plastic is likely to make it unremovable period.

Of course, do you have the right to do that ? If I pay for a premium repair, don't I have the right to have a repair that is undetectable ? If I cannot stick my sticker on the fornt, what gives me the right to stick it on the back ?

I agree with you, that we need to mark these units because I have seen people try to pull this ****. But where do you draw the line ?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Trevor Wilson wrote:

**I usually place an ID sticker inside the product after service, with

my own reference number and date serviced. I never thought much about it

until a smartarse brought an amp in for service, claiming that my prior

repair was faulty. No internal ID sticker, but the serial number matched

one in my database. I decided to call him out. The arsehole had swapped

the serial numbers over on two identical amps. It's only time I've ever

seen it happen, but at least the system saved me.

** Any ****wit manufacturer who sells items packed as pairs with the SAME serial numbers attached - has just saved all such arseholes the trouble of doing a tedious label swapping job.

In fact, they have made it so easy it will happen by simple mistake.

.... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"In fact, they have made it so easy it will happen by simple mistake. "

In fact likely. Aren't speakers sometimees equipped with internal amps for portability ? If the owner moves them around alot even he wouldn't know. And since they are the same age it is possible the other one is going to fail soon because of a common failure mode.

Just manufacturers showing their love for the sevice industry again.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 17/09/2014 10:25 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
Trevor Wilson wrote:

**I usually place an ID sticker inside the product after service, with

my own reference number and date serviced. I never thought much about it

until a smartarse brought an amp in for service, claiming that my prior

repair was faulty. No internal ID sticker, but the serial number matched

one in my database. I decided to call him out. The arsehole had swapped

the serial numbers over on two identical amps. It's only time I've ever

seen it happen, but at least the system saved me.

** Any ****wit manufacturer who sells items packed as pairs with the SAME serial numbers attached - has just saved all such arseholes the trouble of doing a tedious label swapping job.

In fact, they have made it so easy it will happen by simple mistake.

**Agreed. It is daft.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Trevor Wilson wrote:

**I usually place an ID sticker inside the product after service, with

my own reference number and date serviced. I never thought much about it

until a smartarse brought an amp in for service, claiming that my prior

repair was faulty. No internal ID sticker, but the serial number matched

one in my database. I decided to call him out. The arsehole had swapped

the serial numbers over on two identical amps. It's only time I've ever

seen it happen, but at least the system saved me.

** Any ****wit manufacturer who sells items packed as pairs with the
SAME serial numbers attached - has just saved all such arseholes the
trouble of doing a tedious label swapping job.

In fact, they have made it so easy it will happen by simple mistake.

**Agreed. It is daft.

As a slight aside to this, and following on from the possibility of the
Chinese cloning the Alesis product, does anyone know if Yammy badge any
products that are not their own, or allow badging of any of their own
products by a third party ? I always thought that they were very independent
in this regard, and if a product said Yamaha on it, then it had been
designed and made by them. Likewise, any product that didn't say Yamaha on
it, wasn't one of theirs.

Today, I had the removable amplifier box from a "Superlux Corporation model
SP108" portable PA system cross my bench for repair. I had never seen this
name before, but the actual item, both cosmetically and internally, was a
ringer for the Yammy Stagepas 300. I actually compared it to a 'real'
Stagepas 300 that had been written off some time back, and everything looked
pretty much identical. One or two minor differences in a few components,
mainly magnetics, but otherwise no obvious differences. Except, curiously,
the actual component reference numbers ...

Arfa
--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Trevor Wilson wrote:

[...]

**Well, it was a lifetime ago, but B&O used Nippon Gakki (Yamaha) to
manufacture their model 85S turntable. I'm guessing that there may have
been other instances too. More recently? No idea.

Today, I had the removable amplifier box from a "Superlux Corporation
model SP108" portable PA system cross my bench for repair. I had never
seen this name before, but the actual item, both cosmetically and
internally, was a ringer for the Yammy Stagepas 300. I actually compared
it to a 'real' Stagepas 300 that had been written off some time back,
and everything looked pretty much identical. One or two minor
differences in a few components, mainly magnetics, but otherwise no
obvious differences. Except, curiously, the actual component reference
numbers ...

**Back in the 1980s, NAD was manufactured by Fulet Electronic in Taiwan.
Whilst performance of the product was decent enough, the mechanical
quality was crap. NAD parted ways with Fulet and went to Japan for most
of their manufacture. Fulet began manufacturing their own brand, Proton,
sometime before the split. Astonishingly, some of their early products
(like the 940 receiver) were identical to the equivalent NAD model (7150
receiver). So much so, that the service manual for the NAD could be used
with the Proton. Same part numbers, PCB designations, etc. Possibly
Yamaha contracted another company for one of their products?

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Trevor Wilson wrote:

**Back in the 1980s, NAD was manufactured by Fulet Electronic in Taiwan.

** NAD stands for "New Acoustic Dimension" a British brand and the early circuit designs were by a Scandanavian gent( see Wiki).

The early models were full of BC, BD and MJ prefix devices - which was wacky for an obviously Asian made amp.

Whilst performance of the product was decent enough, the mechanical

quality was crap.

** Saw one example of a NAD 3020 that had steel washers installed BTEWEEN the 2NJ3055/MJ2955 output devices and the heatsink !!

Plastic front panel, cheapest possible hardware and electros - yuck.

NAD parted ways with Fulet and went to Japan for most

of their manufacture. Fulet began manufacturing their own brand, Proton,

sometime before the split. Astonishingly, some of their early products

(like the 940 receiver) were identical to the equivalent NAD model (7150

receiver). So much so, that the service manual for the NAD could be used

with the Proton. Same part numbers, PCB designations, etc.

** LOL.

Never knew that before.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 18/09/2014 3:16 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
Trevor Wilson wrote:

**Back in the 1980s, NAD was manufactured by Fulet Electronic in
Taiwan.

** NAD stands for "New Acoustic Dimension" a British brand and the
early circuit designs were by a Scandanavian gent( see Wiki).

The early models were full of BC, BD and MJ prefix devices - which
was wacky for an obviously Asian made amp.

**Whacky, but not unheard of. Quite a few of Korean products were full
of such things as well. Back in the 1970s, there were a couple of
Marantz models (Model 140, 2275) which used Motorola (in-house numbered)
output devices. They appeared to be similar to the MJ15003/4. That was
kinda odd, since the rest of the range used all Japanese devices
throughout. I suspect the engineers in California specified the
Motorolas for some, specific reasons. Possibly they were more robust
than the Japanese devices at the time. They were much slower (around
2MHz fT vs. 10MHz fT for Jap output devices).

Whilst performance of the product was decent enough, the
mechanical

quality was crap.

** Saw one example of a NAD 3020 that had steel washers installed
BTEWEEN the 2NJ3055/MJ2955 output devices and the heatsink !!

Plastic front panel, cheapest possible hardware and electros -
yuck.

**Yep. Saw it all. One of my mates used to play 'catch the knob' with
his 3020. Press one of the input selectors and the other one would pop
out, ejecting the knob in the process. It was all down to NAD not
maintaining proper QC over Fulet. Funnily enough, I sold NAD back then.
I also sold Sansui. Dollar for Dollar, through most speakers, the Sansui
was a far better product (AUDX series, not the cheap ****) than the NAD
(except for the excellent NAD tuners, with their Shotz topology -
excellent for those living near the bridge). Nontheless, the NAD walked
out the door. You couldn't tell people to buy the Sansui instead. They
just accepted what the Pommy mags said and bought the NAD.

NAD parted ways with Fulet and went to Japan for most

of their manufacture. Fulet began manufacturing their own brand,
Proton,

sometime before the split. Astonishingly, some of their early
products

(like the 940 receiver) were identical to the equivalent NAD model
(7150

receiver). So much so, that the service manual for the NAD could be
used

with the Proton. Same part numbers, PCB designations, etc.

** LOL.

Never knew that before.

**Yep. I remember when I first discovered it. I was gob-smacked. I
couldn't beleive that NAD either didn't have some kind of copyright over
the design, or failed to try to enforce their rights.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Trevor Wilson wrote:

**Back in the 1980s, NAD was manufactured by Fulet Electronic in
Taiwan.

** NAD stands for "New Acoustic Dimension" a British brand and the
early circuit designs were by a Scandanavian gent( see Wiki).

The early models were full of BC, BD and MJ prefix devices - which
was wacky for an obviously Asian made amp.

Whilst performance of the product was decent enough, the
mechanical

quality was crap.

** Saw one example of a NAD 3020 that had steel washers installed
BTEWEEN the 2NJ3055/MJ2955 output devices and the heatsink !!

Plastic front panel, cheapest possible hardware and electros -
yuck.

**OTOH, here is a NAD model I worked on a couple of years back (it blew
me away, quality-wise):

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=n...ved=0CBwQ sAQ

http://www.stereophile.com/integrate...nad/index.html

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

" there were a couple of
Marantz models (Model 140, 2275) which used Motorola (in-house numbered)
output devices. They appeared to be similar to the MJ15003/4."

Alot of Marantz buyers were aware of the change. They did not want to se "2S___" on the output transistors. Made them think they were getting a Sun Valley Marantz, not a Chatsworth Marantz.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I think I stand corrcted.

My sister has a 2225 which is a Sun Valley. On just lik it was bought nw my a late friend who sold it to me along with his record collection when he moved to Florida. He did say the Sun Valley units were bette than the Chatsworth units, and this was before they went to the silver tuning dial. I kinda took that to mean they were built here and never paid any attention other than that. (that unit got FMitis and I knew a guy was going to sell an identical unit at a yard sale and I was to clean up the switches, we swapped, YES with his consent)

At any rate, I just looked at the print and sure as **** we got 2S this and 2S that.

So pretty much any Marantz made here has tubes (valves) ?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 20/09/2014 7:03 AM, wrote:
I think I stand corrcted.

My sister has a 2225 which is a Sun Valley. On just lik it was bought
nw my a late friend who sold it to me along with his record
collection when he moved to Florida. He did say the Sun Valley units
were bette than the Chatsworth units, and this was before they went
to the silver tuning dial. I kinda took that to mean they were built
here and never paid any attention other than that. (that unit got
FMitis and I knew a guy was going to sell an identical unit at a yard
sale and I was to clean up the switches, we swapped, YES with his
consent)

At any rate, I just looked at the print and sure as **** we got 2S
this and 2S that.

So pretty much any Marantz made here has tubes (valves) ?

**Not quite. Here are some products and their VERY approximate
manufacturing dates from Marantz:

510/M - 1976 (I still own one of each - they were not a good sounding amp)
500 - 1973 (I still own mine - only 300 made)
3600/3800 - 1973
1200/1200b - 1972 (one of my all time favourites - I owned one for many
years)
250/240/250M - 1972 ~ 1976
3300 - 1971
18 - 1968 (a rip-snorter - I still have mine)

Naturally, there were many other solid state products. These are just
the models I have the most familiarity with. Many of the early solid
state models were not imported into Australia, so I didn't get to see
(m)any.

ALL the 2XXX and 4XXX recievers were built by MJI. After the blackout
dial was retired, Marantz products nose-dived in construction quality,
because they were experiencing financial difficulties, due to increased
competition and the oil crisis (amongst other things).

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 20/09/2014 7:58 AM, Trevor Wilson wrote:

**Not quite. Here are some products and their VERY approximate
manufacturing dates from Marantz:

**Should read: ".........from Marantz US (manufacture) all are solid state):

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 20 Sep 2014 07:58:42 +1000, Trevor Wilson
wrote:

On 20/09/2014 7:03 AM, wrote:
[...]

I read somewhere that the mid to late 70s Marantz receivers were made
by Standard Radio of Japan.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"chuck" wrote in message ...

I read somewhere that the mid to late 70s Marantz receivers
were made by Standard Radio of Japan.

I believe Standard owned the Marantz trademark at that time.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

On 20/09/2014 7:03 AM, wrote:
[...]

**Marantz formed a relationship with Standard Radio in the 1960s.
Marantz purchased (I think) a 49% share in Standard Radio Corp sometime
in the early 1970s. As I recall, Marantz was the first US company to own
a substantial chunk of a Japanese company. Standard Radio was renamed
Marantz Japan Inc (MJI) sometime around 1975.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Trevor Wilson wrote:

**Marantz formed a relationship with Standard Radio in the 1960s.

Marantz purchased (I think) a 49% share in Standard Radio Corp sometime

in the early 1970s. As I recall, Marantz was the first US company to own

a substantial chunk of a Japanese company. Standard Radio was renamed

Marantz Japan Inc (MJI) sometime around 1975.

** Then, in 1980, all foreign assets were sold to Philips Electronics and this little wonder appeared in 1982 under the Marantz badge made in Belgium:

http://www.audioscope.net/images/marantz_cd_63-5.jpg

Before anyone starts up with the nonsense that it was 14 bit player instead of 16 - it was NOT.

16 bit conversion was an essential feature of all CD players and Philips/Marantz achieved that by using "oversampling" - ie making the 14 bit D to A converter used inside work four times as often.

.... Phil

--

Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au