Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Default USB-to-Serial ??

Further cleaning up in the office found an odd cable... USB on one
end, what looks to be serial on the other??

Was there such a thing.

My cable collection was sort of hilarious, I don't know why I kept
some things for so long... I must have tossed 20# of parallel port
printer cables ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Jim Thompson wrote:

Further cleaning up in the office found an odd cable... USB on one
end, what looks to be serial on the other??

Common as dirt.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

In article ,
Jim Thompson writes:

Further cleaning up in the office found an odd cable... USB on one
end, what looks to be serial on the other??

If you take the serial connector apart, you will find a USB-Serial
chip.

If you plug the USB end into a PC, it should turn into another serial port.
That's /dev/ttyUSBx on Linux systesm, and COMx on Windows boxes.

--
These are my opinions. I hate spam.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On 24/10/2012 01:46, Jim Thompson wrote:
Further cleaning up in the office found an odd cable... USB on one
end, what looks to be serial on the other??

Was there such a thing.

My cable collection was sort of hilarious, I don't know why I kept
some things for so long... I must have tossed 20# of parallel port
printer cables ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Yes. Hang onto it. Same with old SCSI and IEEE gear. One day you may
need it to connect your prehistoric test & measurement kit to a new PC.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 17:46:41 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Further cleaning up in the office found an odd cable... USB on one
end, what looks to be serial on the other??

Was there such a thing.

My cable collection was sort of hilarious, I don't know why I kept
some things for so long... I must have tossed 20# of parallel port
printer cables ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I Just reciently had to procure a Centronics to Parallel prot cable.
No one carries those anymore, except the little computer shops. Hang
on to those as they are obsolete.

Cheers

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Further cleaning up in the office found an odd cable... USB on one
end, what looks to be serial on the other??

Was there such a thing.

My cable collection was sort of hilarious, I don't know why I kept
some things for so long... I must have tossed 20# of parallel port
printer cables ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I Just reciently had to procure a Centronics to Parallel prot cable.
No one carries those anymore, except the little computer shops. Hang
on to those as they are obsolete.

How many hundred do you need?
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Further cleaning up in the office found an odd cable... USB on one
end, what looks to be serial on the other??

Was there such a thing.

My cable collection was sort of hilarious, I don't know why I kept
some things for so long... I must have tossed 20# of parallel port
printer cables ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I Just reciently had to procure a Centronics to Parallel prot cable.
No one carries those anymore, except the little computer shops. Hang
on to those as they are obsolete.

How many hundred do you need?

I only needed one for a new Zebra printer/HP printserver, but the
local offcemax /staples doesn't carry those anymore.

Cheers
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Further cleaning up in the office found an odd cable... USB on one
end, what looks to be serial on the other??

Was there such a thing.

My cable collection was sort of hilarious, I don't know why I kept
some things for so long... I must have tossed 20# of parallel port
printer cables ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I Just reciently had to procure a Centronics to Parallel prot cable.
No one carries those anymore, except the little computer shops. Hang
on to those as they are obsolete.

How many hundred do you need?

I only needed one for a new Zebra printer/HP printserver, but the
local offcemax /staples doesn't carry those anymore.

I have them from 6 to 25 feet, if you ever need another. Just pay
postage. I still have plenty of 9 & 25 pin serial cables.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Further cleaning up in the office found an odd cable... USB on one
end, what looks to be serial on the other??

Was there such a thing.

My cable collection was sort of hilarious, I don't know why I kept
some things for so long... I must have tossed 20# of parallel port
printer cables ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I Just reciently had to procure a Centronics to Parallel prot cable.
No one carries those anymore, except the little computer shops. Hang
on to those as they are obsolete.

Cheers

Worse are the DB-25 to the mini-printer connector cables. If mine
breaks I think I'll just skip printing from now on.

Rick

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Further cleaning up in the office found an odd cable... USB on one
end, what looks to be serial on the other??

Was there such a thing.

My cable collection was sort of hilarious, I don't know why I kept
some things for so long... I must have tossed 20# of parallel port
printer cables ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Hey, do you have a baseball team out there in the desert? The Arizona
Armadillos or something?

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links
VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 08:54:53 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 01:06:46 -0500,
(Hal Murray) wrote:

In article ,
Jim Thompson writes:

Further cleaning up in the office found an odd cable... USB on one
end, what looks to be serial on the other??

If you take the serial connector apart, you will find a USB-Serial
chip.

If you plug the USB end into a PC, it should turn into another serial port.
That's /dev/ttyUSBx on Linux systesm, and COMx on Windows boxes.

Thanks! I'll keep it. I have ONE very-occasional-use event recorder
that needs a serial port input (my infamous aircraft noise reporter
that automatically sends E-mail to the blond bitch at city hall :-)

...Jim Thompson

The wire is pretty good quality and the cables are very handy to use
in custom projects if you have corresponding connectors.
John Ferrell W8CCW

speech to serial Tim[_13_] Electronics 4 September 21st 08 06:26 PM
OT - Serial Dog Killer J T Woodworking 4 October 5th 04 03:30 PM
Where's the CMS serial #? Michael Press Woodworking 5 February 24th 04 08:12 PM
USB to serial or parallel Wouter van Ooijen Electronics 4 August 29th 03 08:03 PM