Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Serial numbers ?

wrote:

Waht the **** does "bass density" mean ?

** Refer to the operating manual ....

All I can say is this, if you service one of them, MARK THE OTHER ONE.

** Only the faulty item arrives on my beach, owners keep the other.

( FYI: the pic of a pair together is off Google Images )

I became aware of the issue today, when comparing the number on the one I have with a 3 year old invoice covering the other one for the same fault.

I posted the story here in September, 2011.

See Google Images pic of the problem coil covered in yellow glue.

http://www.bluepeak.co.uk/edd/alesis1.jpg

The coil ( which runs a tad warm) develops shorted turns and the PCB catches fire near it - resulting is dead mosfets, SMPS IC, diodes etc.

Compounding the issue is the fact there is no mains off switch on the unit.

..... Phil