Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] ggherold@gmail.com is offline

Default Serial numbers ?

On Monday, September 15, 2014 10:20:24 PM UTC-4, Phil Allison wrote:
Hi,

see this pic of pair of Alesis M1 Active speakers.

http://cdn1.gbase.com/usercontent/ge...4xiemwh_so.jpg

Maybe it's not a serial number but a UPC (product ident. code.) They scan and count for inventory at the factory.. or something.

George H.

Note that what appears to be a bar code & serial number is the same on both boxes.

How common is this very annoying Chinese practice ?

Repairers *need* to distinguish one example of a product from another and will record serial numbers along with documentation of their work in order to do so.

Now that "everything is made in China" do we need to create our own and apply them internally to the item ?

... Phil