Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

Default Serial numbers ?

On 23/09/2014 12:11 AM, chuck wrote:
On Sat, 20 Sep 2014 07:58:42 +1000, Trevor Wilson
wrote:

On 20/09/2014 7:03 AM, wrote:
I think I stand corrcted.

My sister has a 2225 which is a Sun Valley. On just lik it was bought
nw my a late friend who sold it to me along with his record
collection when he moved to Florida. He did say the Sun Valley units
were bette than the Chatsworth units, and this was before they went
to the silver tuning dial. I kinda took that to mean they were built
here and never paid any attention other than that. (that unit got
FMitis and I knew a guy was going to sell an identical unit at a yard
sale and I was to clean up the switches, we swapped, YES with his
consent)

At any rate, I just looked at the print and sure as **** we got 2S
this and 2S that.

So pretty much any Marantz made here has tubes (valves) ?

**Not quite. Here are some products and their VERY approximate
manufacturing dates from Marantz:

510/M - 1976 (I still own one of each - they were not a good sounding amp)
500 - 1973 (I still own mine - only 300 made)
3600/3800 - 1973
1200/1200b - 1972 (one of my all time favourites - I owned one for many
years)
250/240/250M - 1972 ~ 1976
3300 - 1971
18 - 1968 (a rip-snorter - I still have mine)

Naturally, there were many other solid state products. These are just
the models I have the most familiarity with. Many of the early solid
state models were not imported into Australia, so I didn't get to see
(m)any.

ALL the 2XXX and 4XXX recievers were built by MJI. After the blackout
dial was retired, Marantz products nose-dived in construction quality,
because they were experiencing financial difficulties, due to increased
competition and the oil crisis (amongst other things).

I read somewhere that the mid to late 70s Marantz receivers were made
by Standard Radio of Japan.

**Marantz formed a relationship with Standard Radio in the 1960s.
Marantz purchased (I think) a 49% share in Standard Radio Corp sometime
in the early 1970s. As I recall, Marantz was the first US company to own
a substantial chunk of a Japanese company. Standard Radio was renamed
Marantz Japan Inc (MJI) sometime around 1975.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au