Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

Default Serial numbers ?

On 18/09/2014 10:17 AM, Arfa Daily wrote:

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message
On 17/09/2014 10:25 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
Trevor Wilson wrote:

**I usually place an ID sticker inside the product after service, with

my own reference number and date serviced. I never thought much
about it

until a smartarse brought an amp in for service, claiming that my prior

repair was faulty. No internal ID sticker, but the serial number
matched

one in my database. I decided to call him out. The arsehole had swapped

the serial numbers over on two identical amps. It's only time I've ever

seen it happen, but at least the system saved me.

** Any ****wit manufacturer who sells items packed as pairs with
the SAME serial numbers attached - has just saved all such
arseholes the trouble of doing a tedious label swapping job.

In fact, they have made it so easy it will happen by simple mistake.

**Agreed. It is daft.

As a slight aside to this, and following on from the possibility of the
Chinese cloning the Alesis product, does anyone know if Yammy badge any
products that are not their own, or allow badging of any of their own
products by a third party ? I always thought that they were very
independent in this regard, and if a product said Yamaha on it, then it
had been designed and made by them. Likewise, any product that didn't
say Yamaha on it, wasn't one of theirs.

**Well, it was a lifetime ago, but B&O used Nippon Gakki (Yamaha) to
manufacture their model 85S turntable. I'm guessing that there may have
been other instances too. More recently? No idea.

Today, I had the removable amplifier box from a "Superlux Corporation
model SP108" portable PA system cross my bench for repair. I had never
seen this name before, but the actual item, both cosmetically and
internally, was a ringer for the Yammy Stagepas 300. I actually compared
it to a 'real' Stagepas 300 that had been written off some time back,
and everything looked pretty much identical. One or two minor
differences in a few components, mainly magnetics, but otherwise no
obvious differences. Except, curiously, the actual component reference
numbers ...

**Back in the 1980s, NAD was manufactured by Fulet Electronic in Taiwan.
Whilst performance of the product was decent enough, the mechanical
quality was crap. NAD parted ways with Fulet and went to Japan for most
of their manufacture. Fulet began manufacturing their own brand, Proton,
sometime before the split. Astonishingly, some of their early products
(like the 940 receiver) were identical to the equivalent NAD model (7150
receiver). So much so, that the service manual for the NAD could be used
with the Proton. Same part numbers, PCB designations, etc. Possibly
Yamaha contracted another company for one of their products?

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au