Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Serial numbers ?

Trevor Wilson wrote:

**Marantz formed a relationship with Standard Radio in the 1960s.

Marantz purchased (I think) a 49% share in Standard Radio Corp sometime

in the early 1970s. As I recall, Marantz was the first US company to own

a substantial chunk of a Japanese company. Standard Radio was renamed

Marantz Japan Inc (MJI) sometime around 1975.

** Then, in 1980, all foreign assets were sold to Philips Electronics and this little wonder appeared in 1982 under the Marantz badge made in Belgium:

http://www.audioscope.net/images/marantz_cd_63-5.jpg

Before anyone starts up with the nonsense that it was 14 bit player instead of 16 - it was NOT.

16 bit conversion was an essential feature of all CD players and Philips/Marantz achieved that by using "oversampling" - ie making the 14 bit D to A converter used inside work four times as often.

.... Phil

--

Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au