Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Serial numbers ?

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 19:20:24 -0700 (PDT), Phil Allison
wrote:

http://cdn1.gbase.com/usercontent/ge...4xiemwh_so.jpg
Note that what appears to be a bar code & serial number is the same on both boxes.

I wonder if all the speakers of the same model have the same serial
number? I once bought a pile of counterfeit ethernet cards, all with
the same MAC address. The speakers in the photo look real, but if
Alesis claims that duplicate serial number is not their standard
practice, I would be suspicious of the speakers.

Might as well check. This is the only image of the back of an Alesis
M1 Active 620 speaker that I could find with Google image search.
http://sales.brick7.co.za/media/za/798701_798800/798720_359a6a0dcb51c0ba.jpg
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/Alesis-M1-Active-620.jpg
I can't really read the entire serial number, but the few digits that
are readable (09077) are NOT the same as yours. However, they seem to
be identical serial numbers on both speakers, which confirms the
practice by Alesis. Maybe they do some kind of matching that requires
the speakers be tested and shipped in pairs?

How common is this very annoying Chinese practice ?

I don't know. My problems don't arrive in pairs and I don't fix
amplified speakers.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D