Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Serial numbers ?

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message
On 16/09/2014 12:20 PM, Phil Allison wrote:

Hi,

see this pic of pair of Alesis M1 Active speakers.

http://cdn1.gbase.com/usercontent/ge...4xiemwh_so.jpg

Note that what appears to be a bar code & serial number is the same
on both boxes.

How common is this very annoying Chinese practice ?

Repairers *need* to distinguish one example of a product from another
and will record serial numbers along with documentation of their work
in order to do so.

Now that "everything is made in China" do we need to create our own
and apply them internally to the item ?

**I usually place an ID sticker inside the product after service, with my
own reference number and date serviced. I never thought much about it
until a smartarse brought an amp in for service, claiming that my prior
repair was faulty. No internal ID sticker, but the serial number matched
one in my database. I decided to call him out. The arsehole had swapped
the serial numbers over on two identical amps. It's only time I've ever
seen it happen, but at least the system saved me.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

I too have my own repair number system, and a label gets stuck on the unit
with the date and repair number on it. Details of the repair are recorded by
me against the allocated number. The stickers are custom printed for me and
have glue that does not release easily and cleanly. That would make it very
hard for anyone to swap my label onto another unit. When the owner collects
the item from the shop that took it in, the owner is warned not to remove
the sticker, as it serves as his proof of warranty in the event of any kind
of bounce. No sticker ? No warranty. Date more than 3 months on from the
date on the sticker ? No warranty.

It's a very unambiguous system that is quick and easy for any person behind
the counter in any of the shops that I do work for, and saves them having to
check paperwork and look things up on the computer. If they want to record a
serial number on their booking-in paperwork, that's fine, but it doesn't
ultimately affect me or my system, which has served me well for 35 years.

Arfa