R. Wink

Default AGV AntiVirus

I just upgraded to V7.x AGV Free (after being forced from 6.x). Guess what..it's removed all of the icons from the desktop,
removed all of the desktop settings, reset all of IE6's settings, changed my home page AND wiped all of the last 2 years
worth of emails from Outlook. In addition, there's no way to return to the old settings and they don't include an uninstall.
Go somewhere else rather than upgrading unless you want to rebuild everything manually.
R. Wink
Stephen Young

R. Wink wrote:

I just upgraded to V7.x AGV Free (after being forced from 6.x). Guess what..it's removed all of the icons from the desktop,
removed all of the desktop settings, reset all of IE6's settings, changed my home page AND wiped all of the last 2 years
worth of emails from Outlook. In addition, there's no way to return to the old settings and they don't include an uninstall.
Go somewhere else rather than upgrading unless you want to rebuild everything manually.
R. Wink

What OS are you using? I've found XP with SP2 doesn't like the new AVG
unless you get all the latest udgrades for SP2 installed first. 2
friends who use Netzero for their ISP had problems with NZ also until
SP2 was updated...
Leon

"R. Wink" wrote in message
I just upgraded to V7.x AGV Free (after being forced from 6.x). Guess
what..it's removed all of the icons from the desktop,
removed all of the desktop settings, reset all of IE6's settings, changed
my home page AND wiped all of the last 2 years
worth of emails from Outlook. In addition, there's no way to return to
the old settings and they don't include an uninstall.
Go somewhere else rather than upgrading unless you want to rebuild
everything manually.
R. Wink

Too bad you were not using GoBack.

R. Wink

I need to follow up on this. I'm hollering wolf here. I didn't notice that AVG change my logged on person from "end user"
to "administrator." After I logged off and logged back on as "end user" everything is as it should be..almost!! I don't
have to rebuild much, just a couple of small things like screen settings..not to bad.
Using Windows 2000, SP4 on a P4 box.
R. Wink

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 02:26:15 GMT, R. Wink wrote:

I just upgraded to V7.x AGV Free (after being forced from 6.x). Guess what..it's removed all of the icons from the desktop,
removed all of the desktop settings, reset all of IE6's settings, changed my home page AND wiped all of the last 2 years
worth of emails from Outlook. In addition, there's no way to return to the old settings and they don't include an uninstall.
Go somewhere else rather than upgrading unless you want to rebuild everything manually.
R. Wink

Edwin Pawlowski

"R. Wink" wrote in message
I need to follow up on this. I'm hollering wolf here. I didn't notice
that AVG change my logged on person from "end user"
to "administrator." After I logged off and logged back on as "end user"
everything is as it should be..almost!!

Still sounds like a program to avoid. We've always know you and "end user"
and we'd not recognize you as "administrator".

Win XP has a nice utility called System Restore. Fixes a lot of problems.

Mike Marlow

"R. Wink" wrote in message
I need to follow up on this. I'm hollering wolf here. I didn't notice

that AVG change my logged on person from "end user"
to "administrator." After I logged off and logged back on as "end user"

everything is as it should be..almost!! I don't
have to rebuild much, just a couple of small things like screen

settings..not to bad.
Using Windows 2000, SP4 on a P4 box.
R. Wink

Hmmmm.... AVG didn't change any of the login profiles selected on any of my
machines. I upgrades 5 machines in the house this afternoon and didn't
experience this at all. Weird.
--

-Mike-

Jonathan

"R. Wink" wrote in message
I just upgraded to V7.x AGV Free (after being forced from 6.x). Guess
what..it's removed all of the icons from the desktop,
removed all of the desktop settings, reset all of IE6's settings, changed
my home page AND wiped all of the last 2 years
worth of emails from Outlook. In addition, there's no way to return to
the old settings and they don't include an uninstall.
Go somewhere else rather than upgrading unless you want to rebuild
everything manually.
R. Wink

Sounds like you need to log out and log back in under your user name... All
that stuff you listed is what would be gone if you logged in as someone
else. All your stuff is probably still there just as you left it. Your
regular user account probably isn't set as an administrator, so it probably
had to re-login as Administrator to set up AVG and that's what you're still
logged in as.

Jon

SawDust

I agree. I went to version 7 without any problem. Program asks if
you want an uninstaller too.

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 23:27:16 -0600, "Jonathan"
wrote:

"R. Wink" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Dave Hinz

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 03:43:26 GMT, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"R. Wink" wrote in message
I need to follow up on this. I'm hollering wolf here. I didn't notice
that AVG change my logged on person from "end user"
to "administrator." After I logged off and logged back on as "end user"
everything is as it should be..almost!!

Still sounds like a program to avoid. We've always know you and "end user"
and we'd not recognize you as "administrator".

Why is it the application's fault that he didn't remember who he logged
in as to install the program? This is operator error, plain and simple,
and has _nothing_ to do with the program. He logged in as administrator,
and forgot to log back out to log in as himself, that's all.

Mark & Juanita

"R. Wink" wrote in message
I need to follow up on this. I'm hollering wolf here. I didn't notice
that AVG change my logged on person from "end user"
to "administrator." After I logged off and logged back on as "end user"
everything is as it should be..almost!!

Still sounds like a program to avoid. We've always know you and "end user"
and we'd not recognize you as "administrator".

Why is it the application's fault

Because, reading what he said, AVG changed the logged in person to
administrator, not the operator

that he didn't remember who he logged
in as to install the program? This is operator error, plain and simple,
and has _nothing_ to do with the program. He logged in as administrator,
and forgot to log back out to log in as himself, that's all.

Unless I'm misinterpreting what he wrote, he did not log on as admin, the
install program changed the user ID to admin

Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry

patrick mitchel

The guy posted the response on another NG- he did sign on as administrator-
he simply never posted a clarification- his fault . Pat

Dave Hinz

"R. Wink" wrote in message
I need to follow up on this. I'm hollering wolf here. I didn't notice
that AVG change my logged on person from "end user"
to "administrator." After I logged off and logged back on as "end user"
everything is as it should be..almost!!

Still sounds like a program to avoid. We've always know you and "end user"
and we'd not recognize you as "administrator".

Why is it the application's fault

Because, reading what he said, AVG changed the logged in person to
administrator, not the operator

I don't think it's possible to do that transparently, and in my not
insubstantial experience with the product, it does not do that.

that he didn't remember who he logged
in as to install the program? This is operator error, plain and simple,
and has _nothing_ to do with the program. He logged in as administrator,
and forgot to log back out to log in as himself, that's all.

Unless I'm misinterpreting what he wrote, he did not log on as admin, the
install program changed the user ID to admin

I think it's pretty clear he's not sure what all he did, and assumed
that the app was at fault when he didn't recognize or remember that
he had logged in as admin. Easier to badmout a program, though, than
to figure out what you screwed up, isn't it?

R. Wink

AVG, during the install, changed to the administrator account without any warning, dialog box or other information. After I
figured out what had happened, I logged out of the administrator account and then logged in with my normal account which has
the same rights as the administrators account. Most things returned to normal, however it did change the video resolution
and removed the customization I had for my mouse.
R. Wink

"R. Wink" wrote in message
[...]

Mark Jerde

R. Wink wrote:
AVG, during the install, changed to the administrator account without
any warning, dialog box or other information.

That is really weird. I didn't think it was possible given what MS has done
to protect the CtrlAltDel keystroke sequence.

Are you running "plain" MS logon software, or do you have some 3rd party
software, like a fingerprint logon?

-- Mark

Dave Hinz

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 20:01:44 GMT, R Wink wrote:
AVG, during the install, changed to the administrator account without any warning, dialog box or other information.

That's amazing. It's also amazing that, apparently, you don't have a
password set for your admin account boggle?

After I
figured out what had happened, I logged out of the administrator account and then logged in with my normal account which has
the same rights as the administrators account. Most things returned to normal, however it did change the video resolution
and removed the customization I had for my mouse.

Still doesn't jibe with my experience. Something else is wrong with your
box, AVG has _nothing_ to do with screen or mouse settings.

Mike Marlow

"R. Wink" wrote in message
AVG, during the install, changed to the administrator account without any

warning, dialog box or other information. After I
figured out what had happened, I logged out of the administrator account

and then logged in with my normal account which has
the same rights as the administrators account. Most things returned to

normal, however it did change the video resolution
and removed the customization I had for my mouse.
R. Wink

Weird. Like I said, I installed in on 5 computers, all running either W2K
or XP and had no such occurrences. What release of Windows are you running?
The profiles that I installed each one under all had administrative
privileges - don't know if that made a difference or not.
--

-Mike-

brocpuffs

On 4 Jan 2005 16:04:59 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 22:10:52 -0700, Mark & Juanita wrote:
On 3 Jan 2005 16:16:00 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 03:43:26 GMT, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"R. Wink" wrote in message

I have had AVG on my XP machine for some time. I think it's a really
good program.

I never noticed any such user-Administrator change as you speak of.
But my memory blows so bad its possible that happened, and I let it
run because they state the program needs to be installed under Admin
privileges.

So many things can mess this up. I was going nuts a little while ago
because a number of apps I had deleted long ago, kept being
reinstalled in the Startup menu. Everytime I tried to delete them, no
matter how, they would insist on being reinstalled, no option. Even in
my Admin account, I couldn't remove them.

I finally found that LavaSoft's Ad-Watch (not Ad-Aware) was behind
this, deleted it, and everything thereafter worked as it should have.

Just an example of the kind of thing computers can do-

James

Mark & Juanita

"R. Wink" wrote in message
I need to follow up on this. I'm hollering wolf here. I didn't notice
that AVG change my logged on person from "end user"
to "administrator." After I logged off and logged back on as "end user"
everything is as it should be..almost!!

Still sounds like a program to avoid. We've always know you and "end user"
and we'd not recognize you as "administrator".

Why is it the application's fault

Because, reading what he said, AVG changed the logged in person to
administrator, not the operator

I don't think it's possible to do that transparently, and in my not
insubstantial experience with the product, it does not do that.

Having no experience with the product, I couldn't say, I was only going
by what was written.

that he didn't remember who he logged
in as to install the program? This is operator error, plain and simple,
and has _nothing_ to do with the program. He logged in as administrator,
and forgot to log back out to log in as himself, that's all.

Unless I'm misinterpreting what he wrote, he did not log on as admin, the
install program changed the user ID to admin

I think it's pretty clear he's not sure what all he did,

Probably the case

and assumed
that the app was at fault when he didn't recognize or remember that
he had logged in as admin. Easier to badmout a program, though, than
to figure out what you screwed up, isn't it?

Well, I always know that it's the table saw's fault whenever the really
wide board I'm cutting winds up 1/8" too small because I'm taking it off of
the off-fence side of the cut, so why shouldn't the same apply to software?
:-)

Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry

R. Wink

I'm running W2K SP4 (5.00.2195) using the standard M/S log on stuff. Both my normal and the administrator accounts use the
same password and have the same rights. I set the box up this way as I was advised by M/S to NOT use the administrators
account as the "normal" log on account. I've a total of 3 boxes and 1 notebook set up this way but this is the only one I've
installed AVG 7.X on. My mouse is a Logitech 4 button that is running 9.78 software with buttons swapped. After installing
AVG, I had to reset all of the buttons as they reverted to the "standard," out of the box settings. Video is a Hitachi 801HR
monitor with a Nvidia TNT2 card. I lost the desktop color which was a custom color and the screen saver reverted to the
"default screen saver." I needed to reset both to my preference after the log on.
R. Wink

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 15:27:28 -0500, "Mike Marlow" wrote:

"R. Wink" wrote in message
.. .
AVG, during the install, changed to the administrator account without any

warning, dialog box or other information. After I
figured out what had happened, I logged out of the administrator account

and then logged in with my normal account which has
the same rights as the administrators account. Most things returned to

normal, however it did change the video resolution
and removed the customization I had for my mouse.
R. Wink

Weird. Like I said, I installed in on 5 computers, all running either W2K
or XP and had no such occurrences. What release of Windows are you running?
The profiles that I installed each one under all had administrative
privileges - don't know if that made a difference or not.

Mike Marlow

"R. Wink" wrote in message
[...]

Like I said - wierd. Never saw this happen before. My server is the only
computer in my house that runs a mouse driver similar to yours and it didn't
suffer the problems you did. Don't know what to suggest, looks like you
suffered a pretty unique case.

--

-Mike-

Dave Hinz

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 20:59:40 -0700, Mark & Juanita wrote:
On 4 Jan 2005 16:04:59 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

I don't think it's possible to do that transparently, and in my not
insubstantial experience with the product, it does not do that.

Having no experience with the product, I couldn't say, I was only going
by what was written.

But even so, think of this logically - if a program was capable of
switching to admin without asking for the user's help, that would
indicate a _huge_ security hole of epic proportions (more so than
the normal huge windows security holes, that is).

(snipola)

and assumed
that the app was at fault when he didn't recognize or remember that
he had logged in as admin. Easier to badmout a program, though, than
to figure out what you screwed up, isn't it?

Well, I always know that it's the table saw's fault whenever the really
wide board I'm cutting winds up 1/8" too small because I'm taking it off of
the off-fence side of the cut, so why shouldn't the same apply to software?

True, that. Cut the damn thing three times, and it's _still_ too short.

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 07:07:27 GMT, R Wink wrote:
I'm running W2K SP4 (5.00.2195) using the standard M/S log on stuff. Both my normal and the administrator accounts use the
same password and have the same rights. I set the box up this way as I was advised by M/S to NOT use the administrators
account as the "normal" log on account.

If your everyday user has admin rights, then you're doing what they suggest
you not do.

I've a total of 3 boxes and 1 notebook set up this way but this is the only one I've
installed AVG 7.X on. My mouse is a Logitech 4 button that is running 9.78 software with buttons swapped. After installing
AVG, I had to reset all of the buttons as they reverted to the "standard," out of the box settings. Video is a Hitachi 801HR
monitor with a Nvidia TNT2 card. I lost the desktop color which was a custom color and the screen saver reverted to the
"default screen saver." I needed to reset both to my preference after the log on.

If you say so. Maybe you should ask Grisoft for your money back then.

Mike Marlow

Joe wrote in message ...

I've had AVG on two of my own machines for a couple of years (the
freebie) and have never had any problems. I have advised a few
others to use it and no one has had a problem.
Even better, once it caught a virus in an email before McAfee did
(which I paid for).

Joe

Likewise, I dumped Norton which I paid for on my daughter's computer because
AVG was quicker at finding virus' and it doesn't load down the system like
Norton does.

--

-Mike-

R. Wink

Don't get me wrong...I've been using AVG since I first found out about it. I've dumped McAfee and Nortons in favor of AVG
and I advice everyone to use it. It's better, faster and seems to be more reliable than the others. It doesn't interfere
with other programs and seems be more stable that Nortons This is the first time ever I've had any problem with it.
R. Wink

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 22:45:14 -0500, Joe wrote:

On 5 Jan 2005 16:38:33 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

[...]

Mark Jerde

R. Wink wrote:

Both my normal and the administrator accounts use the same password
and have the same rights. I set the box up this way as I was advised
by M/S to NOT use the administrators account as the "normal" log on
account.

Reminds me of a cartoon, "That's like a guy who found out he was allergic to
chicken so he kept on eating rooster."

They're both admin accounts. I recommend you downgrade your normal account
to "Power User" or less.

-- Mark