R. Wink

Default AVG Antivirus

I just upgraded to V7.x AGV Free (after being forced from 6.x). Guess what..it's removed all of the icons from the desktop,
removed all of the desktop settings, reset all of IE6's settings, changed my home page AND wiped all of the last 2 years
worth of emails from Outlook. In addition, there's no way to return to the old settings and they don't include an uninstall.
Go somewhere else rather than upgrading unless you want to rebuild everything manually.
R. Wink
Thomas Kendrick

That was not my experience with AVG 7 on a Windows 98SE platform.
Everything stayed as it was before.
What operating system are you using?

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 02:27:32 GMT, R. Wink
wrote:

I just upgraded to V7.x AGV Free (after being forced from 6.x). Guess what..it's removed all of the icons from the desktop,
removed all of the desktop settings, reset all of IE6's settings, changed my home page AND wiped all of the last 2 years
worth of emails from Outlook. In addition, there's no way to return to the old settings and they don't include an uninstall.
Go somewhere else rather than upgrading unless you want to rebuild everything manually.
R. Wink

R. Wink

I need to follow up on this. I'm hollering wolf here. I didn't notice that AVG change my logged on person from "end user"
to "administrator." After I logged off and logged back on as "end user" everything is as it should be..almost!! I don't
have to rebuild much, just a couple of small things like screen settings..not to bad.
Using Windows 2000, SP4 on a P4 box.
R. Wink

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 02:27:32 GMT, R. Wink wrote:

I just upgraded to V7.x AGV Free (after being forced from 6.x). Guess what..it's removed all of the icons from the desktop,
removed all of the desktop settings, reset all of IE6's settings, changed my home page AND wiped all of the last 2 years
worth of emails from Outlook. In addition, there's no way to return to the old settings and they don't include an uninstall.
Go somewhere else rather than upgrading unless you want to rebuild everything manually.
R. Wink

Huey Conway

Its worked perfect and made no changes to any of my systems settings
except for whats required to make the program work.

I give it a thumbs up.

Dave Hinz

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 02:27:32 GMT, R Wink wrote:
I just upgraded to V7.x AGV Free (after being forced from 6.x).

You weren't forced to do anything, it's a free world (and free software).
Why should they keep supporting the old version (which they announced many
months ahead of time they were replacing) when they could be writing new
and improved things on the new version?

Guess what..it's removed all of the icons from the desktop,

My experience upgrading AVG differs from yours. I've done it on a dozen
systems so far, no problems.

removed all of the desktop settings, reset all of IE6's settings,
changed my home page AND wiped all of the last 2 years
worth of emails from Outlook.

Really?

In addition, there's no way to return to the old settings and they
don't include an uninstall.

Not true. The uninstall procedure works like any other Windows app,
just fine.

Go somewhere else rather than upgrading unless you want to rebuild
everything manually.

I would submit that if what you describe actually happened, it is
a symptom of an otherwise very unhealthy Windows installation. None of
these things are even vaguely related to how AVG (or really, any other
Windows app) installs, removes, and/or upgrades. If you got it to do
what you describe (which again, I doubt) you must have installed it in
a very non-standard way, on a very non-standard system.

The only thing I can think you might have done which explains all of your
claims, is if you unpacked the installer actually _on_ your desktop, _and_
you store all of your email, browser config, and so on on your desktop.
I can't imagine anyone chosing to do that, but I suppose if you did, the
installer would have cleaned up the install directory you told it to use.
Are you in the habit of storing all of your files on your desktop, and
did you have AVG use the desktop as it's install directory (which you have
to go out of your way to do)?

I don't work for 'em, I just don't like seeing a damn fine application
badmouthed based on insufficient and/or suspect data.

David L. Foreman

wrote:

I just upgraded to V7.x AGV Free (after being forced from 6.x). Guess what..it's removed all of the icons from the desktop,
removed all of the desktop settings, reset all of IE6's settings, changed my home page AND wiped all of the last 2 years
worth of emails from Outlook. In addition, there's no way to return to the old settings and they don't include an uninstall.
Go somewhere else rather than upgrading unless you want to rebuild everything manually.
R. Wink

I installed the new Free AVG 7 over the old free version on two computers, one
Win XP and the other Win 98SE with no problems on either.
Dave F.
Mike Patterson

wrote:

I just upgraded to V7.x AGV Free (after being forced from 6.x). Guess what..it's removed all of the icons from the desktop,
removed all of the desktop settings, reset all of IE6's settings, changed my home page AND wiped all of the last 2 years
worth of emails from Outlook. In addition, there's no way to return to the old settings and they don't include an uninstall.
Go somewhere else rather than upgrading unless you want to rebuild everything manually.
R. Wink

I upgraded 3 XP Pro machines, one 2000 Pro, one ME, and one 98SE with
no system settings changed. You sure it did what you think it did?

MP

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin