Old June 15th 21, 07:29 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Truck Rental

I need a pickup once in a blue moon to get some plywood and the like. I've
looked at options like Menards (19.95 for the first 75 minutes, PLUS .30/mi
mileage, but at least you don't have to fuel it) or uHaul ($19.95 "in
town" PLUS .59/mi, PLUS $1 "environmental" fee, but I'm not sure if they
charge per hour or not.)

Is anyone familiar with a truck rental place that will be at least upfront
with me about the costs? If the truck costs $50 to rent, I want to know
that, not this $19.95 plus mileage and fees deceptive advertising they all
pull.

Puckdropper

Old June 15th 21, 08:35 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/15/2021 2:29 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
I need a pickup once in a blue moon to get some plywood and the like. I've
looked at options like Menards (19.95 for the first 75 minutes, PLUS .30/mi
mileage, but at least you don't have to fuel it) or uHaul ($19.95 "in
town" PLUS .59/mi, PLUS $1 "environmental" fee, but I'm not sure if they
charge per hour or not.)

Is anyone familiar with a truck rental place that will be at least upfront
with me about the costs? If the truck costs $50 to rent, I want to know
that, not this $19.95 plus mileage and fees deceptive advertising they all
pull.

Puckdropper

I have rented from Menards, Home Depot (I think) and U-haul. Each of
them was upfront about the rate. U-haul's rate was per hour--and I had
the truck back to them in 40 minutes, and they only charged me for the
fraction of an hour--I had to top-off the gas tank.

The other two just charged me $25 for 75 minutes--no additional charge
for gas. So, U-haul was cheaper. If you only need a truck "once in a
blue moon", be glad one is available on those terms--you're saving a ton
of money compared to owning one!

One other detail--were you aware that some of the prices by U-haul
offered to businesses and non-businesses customers are different? You
can verify this online. Maybe you can make that work for you?

This is America, where "The bold print giveth, and the fine print taketh
away!" I don't think you'll change that. I don't like that all of the
prices advertised by Internet providers are for the first year or two,
and my way of dealing with that has been to mention it to them when I
can, scale back my subscriptions, and throw the offers in the trash.
Get off of my lawn! ; )

Old June 15th 21, 01:19 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 06:29:07 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

I need a pickup once in a blue moon to get some plywood and the like. I've
looked at options like Menards (19.95 for the first 75 minutes, PLUS .30/mi
mileage, but at least you don't have to fuel it) or uHaul ($19.95 "in
town" PLUS .59/mi, PLUS $1 "environmental" fee, but I'm not sure if they
charge per hour or not.)

Is anyone familiar with a truck rental place that will be at least upfront
with me about the costs? If the truck costs $50 to rent, I want to know
that, not this $19.95 plus mileage and fees deceptive advertising they all
pull.

Puckdropper

Check with Enterprise.
Old June 15th 21, 02:13 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 2:29:11 AM UTC-4, Puckdropper wrote:
I need a pickup once in a blue moon to get some plywood and the like. I've
looked at options like Menards (19.95 for the first 75 minutes, PLUS .30/mi
mileage, but at least you don't have to fuel it) or uHaul ($19.95 "in
town" PLUS .59/mi, PLUS $1 "environmental" fee, but I'm not sure if they
charge per hour or not.)

Is anyone familiar with a truck rental place that will be at least upfront
with me about the costs? If the truck costs $50 to rent, I want to know
that, not this $19.95 plus mileage and fees deceptive advertising they all
pull.

Puckdropper

I helped my daughter move last November. I found that U-Haul was accurate in
their upfront rate quote, assuming that you can do a good job estimating your
own time and mileage. I have also found them to be the least expensive overall.

Don't forget to factor in your time to pickup and return. That is often an unknown
depending on how busy the rental location is.

The biggest problem I had was with their clunky app which is supposed to save
you time. Supposedly you can reserve, pick-up and drop-off without ever dealing
with a counter person. I found that to be BS, which was verified by the counter
person I had to deal with. He bitched about the app since he is the one that has
to deal with the upset customers when the app doesn't work and renters have to
stand in line behind other upset customers, getting even more upset.

YMMV. In theory, the app should really make thing more efficient, but in my experience
it didn't. Reviews show that I am not alone.

Have you considered one of these? I had one for a while and since you own it, it's
available whenever you need it and stores neatly. I don't know how often your blue
moons come around, but eventually it would pay for itself. In addition, you'd probably
use it more than you think since it's readily available. Add in the cost of a floor and
walls if you'd like.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1195-l...ler-62648.html

I'm surprised that they don't have an image of it folded up for storage on their website.

Here you go...

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/51/d8...8475ee01aa.jpg

Old June 15th 21, 02:19 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/15/2021 1:29 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
I need a pickup once in a blue moon to get some plywood and the like. I've
looked at options like Menards (19.95 for the first 75 minutes, PLUS .30/mi
mileage, but at least you don't have to fuel it) or uHaul ($19.95 "in
town" PLUS .59/mi, PLUS $1 "environmental" fee, but I'm not sure if they
charge per hour or not.)

Is anyone familiar with a truck rental place that will be at least upfront
with me about the costs? If the truck costs $50 to rent, I want to know
that, not this $19.95 plus mileage and fees deceptive advertising they all
pull.

Puckdropper

What's not up front? UHaul charges a flat rate for the stated period
plus whatever you drive. Surely you can estimate that pretty reasonably
where you intend to go.

As for refueling, they no longer necessarily provide the rental
completely full but note on agreement what the gauge reads -- have it
that full or fuller when you return it to avoid the refueling fee.

Seems straightforward-enough to me; what else would you have them do;
measure it out for you first?

Old June 15th 21, 02:44 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I need a pickup once in a blue moon to get some plywood and the like. I've
looked at options like Menards (19.95 for the first 75 minutes, PLUS .30/mi
mileage, but at least you don't have to fuel it) or uHaul ($19.95 "in
town" PLUS .59/mi, PLUS $1 "environmental" fee, but I'm not sure if they
charge per hour or not.)
Is anyone familiar with a truck rental place that will be at least upfront
with me about the costs? If the truck costs $50 to rent, I want to know
that, not this $19.95 plus mileage and fees deceptive advertising they all
pull.
Puckdropper

Since his car is unable to pull his old trailer, my brother has
taken-to renting a pickup or van when he needs one -
a few times per year at most. Being in a fairly small city, he
doesn't squabble about a minor price difference but rather
he's happy when one is available when he needs it.
In my experience - the daily rates are competitive but the
extra "insurance" and mileage costs can be quite different -
- note : if you are using your car's insurance policy to cover
the rental - double check with your insurance broker to
make sure that you are covered for a "commercial vehicle"
rental ! Most are not ..
John T.

Old June 15th 21, 03:25 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 9:13:26 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I found some old pictures of my trailer in use. The rack unbolts, the walls come off and the
trailer folds in 3rd's, ready to roll into my garage. It served me well for about 5 years until I
sold it for $250. I think I paid about $400, including the trailer and the wood for the sides
and floor.

https://i.imgur.com/7oRF8jm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/XVfS66w.jpg
Old June 15th 21, 03:48 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I need a pickup once in a blue moon to get some plywood and the like. I've
looked at options like Menards (19.95 for the first 75 minutes, PLUS .30/mi
mileage, but at least you don't have to fuel it) or uHaul ($19.95 "in
town" PLUS .59/mi, PLUS $1 "environmental" fee, but I'm not sure if they
charge per hour or not.)

Is anyone familiar with a truck rental place that will be at least upfront
with me about the costs? If the truck costs $50 to rent, I want to know
that, not this $19.95 plus mileage and fees deceptive advertising they all
pull.

The only time I had a problem with a rented truck (used for moving
many years ago) was with gas mileage - this truck was in serious need
of repair - it was getting maybe one tenth the normal mileage for such
a truck, so the fuel fee was a big surprise. The counter folk did not
argue with my complaint about low mileage, for all the good it did me.

Joe Gwinn
Old June 15th 21, 04:05 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/15/2021 2:29 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
I need a pickup once in a blue moon to get some plywood and the like. I've
looked at options like Menards (19.95 for the first 75 minutes, PLUS .30/mi
mileage, but at least you don't have to fuel it) or uHaul ($19.95 "in
town" PLUS .59/mi, PLUS $1 "environmental" fee, but I'm not sure if they
charge per hour or not.)

Is anyone familiar with a truck rental place that will be at least upfront
with me about the costs? If the truck costs $50 to rent, I want to know
that, not this $19.95 plus mileage and fees deceptive advertising they all
pull.

Puckdropper

I've never rented a pickup type truck, but the only issue we had with
Uhaul was that they tried to charge us for using the strapped down dolly
and moving blankets inside the moving box truck... they weren't strapped
in place when we rented the truck. They relented and dismissed the fees.

I always keep an old pickup on hand as a spare vehicle and for instances
when it is necessary to haul. If you live anywhere near Ohio, I've got
a 1976 Chevy C10 with your name on it for $1,200 ... I'll keep my '83
F150.
Old June 15th 21, 05:04 PM posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 on Tue, 15 Jun 2021 06:13:23 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Have you considered one of these? I had one for a while and since you own it, it's
available whenever you need it and stores neatly. I don't know how often your blue
moons come around, but eventually it would pay for itself. In addition, you'd probably
use it more than you think since it's readily available. Add in the cost of a floor and
walls if you'd like.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1195-l...ler-62648.html

I'm surprised that they don't have an image of it folded up for storage on their website.

The OP doesn't mention it, but I have considered renting a
trailer, except for the small issue of the four to five hundred
dollars to get a hitch installed and wired up. It is a one time cost,
true, but it is still a cost.

Buying a trailer for "occasional use" is a good idea, but I still
have that problem of "what do I do with it the other 50 weekends of
the year?" {If I had my way, I'd own the parking/storage area where I
kept "it" the weekends I don't use it.}

--
pyotr filipivich
This Week's Panel: Us & Them - Eliminating Them.

Truck for sale... '99 Isuzu FTR - (It's Metal related because it's a MANLY TRUCK, and we're manly men here!!!!) RainLover Metalworking 0 October 14th 05 07:40 PM
PAT tester rental Alex H UK diy 1 March 31st 04 11:00 AM
walkthrough of rental property Jonathan Kamens Home Ownership 2 November 24th 03 04:05 AM
Using a rental TILLER to till lawn Dan G Home Repair 16 September 23rd 03 11:18 PM
Using a rental TILLER to till lawn Jon Endres, PE Home Ownership 1 September 23rd 03 11:18 PM