Old August 5th 17, 03:44 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Anybody use a Roomba in the workshop?

Any of you guys use a Roomba (or other robot vacuum cleaner) to keep your shop floor
clean? Just wondering if it works...

Old August 5th 17, 04:01 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 5 Aug 2017 02:44:18 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

Any of you guys use a Roomba (or other robot vacuum cleaner) to keep your shop floor
clean? Just wondering if it works...

Only if the shop floor is clean - - -
Old August 5th 17, 11:47 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
Any of you guys use a Roomba (or other robot vacuum cleaner) to keep your shop floor
clean? Just wondering if it works...

We have been running a roomba in our home 5 days a week for the last 9
years. It will work in your shop after you sweep. It's capacity is about
that of two packs of cigarettes.

Old August 5th 17, 11:51 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
Any of you guys use a Roomba (or other robot vacuum cleaner) to keep your shop floor
clean? Just wondering if it works...

We have been running a roomba in our home 5 days a week for the last 9
years. It will work in your shop after you sweep. It's capacity is about
that of two packs of cigarettes.

It will get that dust you are talking about. The upper end models have
Hepa filters although not Hepa certified. Ours sucks up enough dog hair and
dust to build a new dog every couple of weeks.

You can test drive one for 30 days if you but direct from IRobot.

Old August 5th 17, 05:18 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/5/2017 10:46 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 8/4/17 10:12 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
wrote in
:

[snip]
so on. I'm wondering how well Roomba would do with the fine dust that
escapes my air filter
too, and settles out of the air hours later, or with the stuff that I
miss with the broom.

It would work great for that, if you didn't move stuff around a lot.
Unfortunately, they are easily confused.

How so, Mike? I don't own one but I always thought they cleaned in a
randomized pattern - just take off and go until they sense/touch and
object and then alter course until the next obstruction.

Correct. unless they travel in a straight line for 15', then they change
direction, obstacle or no obstacle.

The latest top end models are no longer random, they map the room and
cover every spot like some of the competitors so.

The mapping of the room may just be something that iRobot is offering to
compete. The beauty to the random vacuuming is that if something gets
dropped after the fact or if it pushes debris out of the way it may get
it on one of the random passes later on. With maping IIRC the any spot
on the floor only gets covered once per cycle. If it mushed something
out of reach it will try again on the next scheduled day.

We have not used a conventional vacuum cleaner on our tile floors in
over 9 years. The Roomba,ours is random coverage, does a great job if
you let it run often, especially with a pet or kids.

In any case given their limitations on larger debris, I would think the
OP would be better off just making a fast pass with a floor vacuum tool
attached to a shop vac or dust collection system. By the time he's
picked up all the little bits, he's near done anyway. At a couple
hundred for a Roomba, he can buy some nice hardwoods or another tool. ;-)

Actually you need to think several hundred to get a decent Roomba. The
upper end ones are neat $1K. Ours IIRC was about $5~6 hundred.
Old August 5th 17, 05:43 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/5/2017 10:46 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Maybe they have improved their "brains" since we had one.
But our would often get stuck in one area and just keep re-cleaning that
section over and over until it decided it was done.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

iRobot Scooba / Roomba komobu Home Repair 16 June 28th 07 09:11 PM
Roomba vs. Trilobite aniram Home Ownership 23 February 24th 05 02:49 AM
Roomba asd Home Ownership 6 December 31st 04 08:33 PM
OT Roomba robotic floor sweepers Capitol UK diy 4 August 4th 04 07:04 PM
Roomba Vacuum cleaner question SteveB Home Repair 19 February 27th 04 07:41 PM