Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Anybody use a Roomba in the workshop?

Any of you guys use a Roomba (or other robot vacuum cleaner) to keep your shop floor
clean? Just wondering if it works...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 5 Aug 2017 02:44:18 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

Any of you guys use a Roomba (or other robot vacuum cleaner) to keep your shop floor
clean? Just wondering if it works...

Only if the shop floor is clean - - -
Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
Any of you guys use a Roomba (or other robot vacuum cleaner) to keep your shop floor
clean? Just wondering if it works...

We have been running a roomba in our home 5 days a week for the last 9
years. It will work in your shop after you sweep. It's capacity is about
that of two packs of cigarettes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
Any of you guys use a Roomba (or other robot vacuum cleaner) to keep your shop floor
clean? Just wondering if it works...

We have been running a roomba in our home 5 days a week for the last 9
years. It will work in your shop after you sweep. It's capacity is about
that of two packs of cigarettes.

It will get that dust you are talking about. The upper end models have
Hepa filters although not Hepa certified. Ours sucks up enough dog hair and
dust to build a new dog every couple of weeks.

You can test drive one for 30 days if you but direct from IRobot.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/5/2017 10:46 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 8/4/17 10:12 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
wrote in
:

[snip]
so on. I'm wondering how well Roomba would do with the fine dust that
escapes my air filter
too, and settles out of the air hours later, or with the stuff that I
miss with the broom.

It would work great for that, if you didn't move stuff around a lot.
Unfortunately, they are easily confused.

How so, Mike? I don't own one but I always thought they cleaned in a
randomized pattern - just take off and go until they sense/touch and
object and then alter course until the next obstruction.

Correct. unless they travel in a straight line for 15', then they change
direction, obstacle or no obstacle.

The latest top end models are no longer random, they map the room and
cover every spot like some of the competitors so.

The mapping of the room may just be something that iRobot is offering to
compete. The beauty to the random vacuuming is that if something gets
dropped after the fact or if it pushes debris out of the way it may get
it on one of the random passes later on. With maping IIRC the any spot
on the floor only gets covered once per cycle. If it mushed something
out of reach it will try again on the next scheduled day.

We have not used a conventional vacuum cleaner on our tile floors in
over 9 years. The Roomba,ours is random coverage, does a great job if
you let it run often, especially with a pet or kids.

In any case given their limitations on larger debris, I would think the
OP would be better off just making a fast pass with a floor vacuum tool
attached to a shop vac or dust collection system. By the time he's
picked up all the little bits, he's near done anyway. At a couple
hundred for a Roomba, he can buy some nice hardwoods or another tool. ;-)

Actually you need to think several hundred to get a decent Roomba. The
upper end ones are neat $1K. Ours IIRC was about $5~6 hundred.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/5/17 11:43 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 8/5/2017 10:46 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Maybe they have improved their "brains" since we had one.
But our would often get stuck in one area and just keep re-cleaning that
section over and over until it decided it was done.

Then again, I'm not sure this was a Roomba. It may have been another
brand.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/4/2017 10:44 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
Any of you guys use a Roomba (or other robot vacuum cleaner) to keep your shop floor
clean? Just wondering if it works...

The best answer is "The company thought of that and made a product for
cleaning shops and it was a total bust so it was dropped."

https://www.amazon.com/iRobot-110-Di...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Shops are not meant to be _totally_ clean. If your shop is immaculate then
you aren't using it right.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/5/17 1:21 PM, John McGaw wrote:
On 8/4/2017 10:44 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
Any of you guys use a Roomba (or other robot vacuum cleaner) to
keep your shop floor clean? Just wondering if it works...

The best answer is "The company thought of that and made a product
for cleaning shops and it was a total bust so it was dropped."

https://www.amazon.com/iRobot-110-Di...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Shops are not meant to be _totally_ clean. If your shop is immaculate
then you aren't using it right.

I get what you're saying, John, and agree with the premise.
However, any time I do finishing, I sure wish my shop was "immaculate"
because it would save me a whole lot of time knocking the fuzz off
between coats.

There are air cleaners for the airborne stuff and I see a place for
something that would capture all that stuff on the floor before it gets
airborne.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/5/2017 2:54 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Something along these lines works beautifully in removing fine dust from
floors. I always find that, if you don't have a dedicated finishing area,
cleaning up as best you can, waiting a couple of hours, and then proceeding
carefully so as not to raise any remaining dust works best. This also means
turning off any 'dust filters', fans, heaters, or air conditioners since
each of these will sabotage your efforts to get dust out of the air. That
can make things pretty uncomfortable for a while depending on season and
your shop.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-50-lb...EP50/202056504
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/5/17 2:12 PM, John McGaw wrote:
On 8/5/2017 2:54 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Wow, that's a new one on me! I never knew such a thing existed.
I've used similar things for oil and spilled paint, but I never imagined
something like that for dust.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Any of you guys use a Roomba (or other robot vacuum cleaner) to keep your shop floor
clean? Just wondering if it works...

Only if the shop floor is clean - - -

OK, I guess maybe I should elaborate. I plan on using a broom to deal with the largest stuff, the
jointer shavings and the sawdust that escapes the dust collector, the handplane shavings, and
so on. I'm wondering how well Roomba would do with the fine dust that escapes my air filter
too, and settles out of the air hours later, or with the stuff that I miss with the broom.

From my experience (short term) with one in the house, I'd say you
will be dissapointed. It will plug the filter in no-time, as well as
fill the tiny dirt cup. Terribly ovepriced toys.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 05 Aug 2017 12:23:17 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 5 Aug 2017 10:58:11 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

On 8/5/2017 10:46 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 8/4/17 10:12 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
wrote in
:

[snip]
so on. I'm wondering how well Roomba would do with the fine dust that
escapes my air filter
too, and settles out of the air hours later, or with the stuff that I
miss with the broom.

It would work great for that, if you didn't move stuff around a lot.
Unfortunately, they are easily confused.

How so, Mike? I don't own one but I always thought they cleaned in a
randomized pattern - just take off and go until they sense/touch and
object and then alter course until the next obstruction.

No, they learn the area.

The one I used didn't. It would vacuum the same corner 10 times before
it got the rest of a 6X10 washroom, and got stuch under the same
dining table at least 10 times before it found the rug. If it ran for
24 hours there is a 50/50 chance it would have covered the entire
livingroom/diningroom area.

In any case given their limitations on larger debris, I would think the
OP would be better off just making a fast pass with a floor vacuum tool
attached to a shop vac or dust collection system. By the time he's
picked up all the little bits, he's near done anyway. At a couple
hundred for a Roomba, he can buy some nice hardwoods or another tool. ;-)

+1 - or a lot more!

I agree with you but I think his issue is the fine stuff that settles
hours after he's done in the shop. My issue is the concrete "dusting"
but I don't think a Roomba is the solution.

Nor do I.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 5 Aug 2017 11:46:31 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 8/5/17 11:43 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 8/5/2017 10:46 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

The one we had was a Roombs by i-robot

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/5/2017 2:54 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

They used that stuff at the high school back in the sixties/seventies
all the time. - it was a "dust magnet" compound.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/5/2017 3:20 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-50-lb...EP50/202056504

Wow, that's a new one on me! I never knew such a thing existed.
I've used similar things for oil and spilled paint, but I never imagined
something like that for dust.

50# will last a very long time. You just sprinkle a little and it all
works as you sweep along. It is sort of like oild sawdust.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/5/17 4:23 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/5/2017 3:20 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-50-lb...EP50/202056504

Wow, that's a new one on me! I never knew such a thing existed.
I've used similar things for oil and spilled paint, but I never
imagined something like that for dust.

50# will last a very long time. You just sprinkle a little and it all
works as you sweep along. It is sort of like oild sawdust.

I think I'll pick some up.
I wonder if it works on wood floors.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/5/2017 3:20 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-50-lb...EP50/202056504

Wow, that's a new one on me! I never knew such a thing existed.
I've used similar things for oil and spilled paint, but I never
imagined something like that for dust.

50# will last a very long time. You just sprinkle a little and it all
works as you sweep along. It is sort of like oild sawdust.

I think I'll pick some up.
I wonder if it works on wood floors.

Works on any floor type, Mike. Most that I've seen has a red dye in it
so you can see it on the floor. As others have said, a little goes a
long way. Not only does the oily consistency (not enough to smear) pick
up the dust, it prevents it from becoming airborne. Others have
attested to its vintage. I first recall seeing my father using it in
our basement ca 1953 and he was hardly an innovator. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/5/2017 3:20 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-50-lb...EP50/202056504

Wow, that's a new one on me! I never knew such a thing existed.
I've used similar things for oil and spilled paint, but I never
imagined something like that for dust.

50# will last a very long time. You just sprinkle a little and it all
works as you sweep along. It is sort of like oild sawdust.

I think I'll pick some up.
I wonder if it works on wood floors.

Yes it does. The old hardware srore in Elmira Ontario had hardwood
floors and sweepong compound was used all the time.It was also used on
hardwood floors as well as terrazo ot school.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/5/2017 3:20 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-50-lb...EP50/202056504

Wow, that's a new one on me! I never knew such a thing existed.
I've used similar things for oil and spilled paint, but I never
imagined something like that for dust.

50# will last a very long time. You just sprinkle a little and it
all works as you sweep along. It is sort of like oild sawdust.

I think I'll pick some up.
I wonder if it works on wood floors.

Works on any floor type, Mike. Most that I've seen has a red dye in it
so you can see it on the floor. As others have said, a little goes a
long way. Not only does the oily consistency (not enough to smear) pick
up the dust, it prevents it from becoming airborne. Others have
attested to its vintage. I first recall seeing my father using it in
our basement ca 1953 and he was hardly an innovator. ;-)

I'm getting some, that settles it. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/5/2017 3:20 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-50-lb...EP50/202056504

Wow, that's a new one on me! I never knew such a thing existed.
I've used similar things for oil and spilled paint, but I never
imagined something like that for dust.

50# will last a very long time. You just sprinkle a little and it all
works as you sweep along. It is sort of like oild sawdust.

I think I'll pick some up.
I wonder if it works on wood floors.

Yes it does. The old hardware srore in Elmira Ontario had hardwood
floors and sweepong compound was used all the time.It was also used on
hardwood floors as well as terrazo ot school.

Thanks for that info. Think I'll try it.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/5/2017 3:20 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-50-lb...EP50/202056504

Wow, that's a new one on me! I never knew such a thing existed.
I've used similar things for oil and spilled paint, but I never
imagined something like that for dust.

50# will last a very long time. You just sprinkle a little and it all
works as you sweep along. It is sort of like oild sawdust.

I think I'll pick some up.
I wonder if it works on wood floors.

Works on any floor type, Mike. Most that I've seen has a red dye in it
so you can see it on the floor. As others have said, a little goes a
long way. Not only does the oily consistency (not enough to smear) pick
up the dust, it prevents it from becoming airborne. Others have
attested to its vintage. I first recall seeing my father using it in
our basement ca 1953 and he was hardly an innovator. ;-)

A lot of it is green too
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

It will get that dust you are talking about. The upper end models have
Hepa filters although not Hepa certified. Ours sucks up enough dog hair and
dust to build a new dog every couple of weeks.

In my case it would have to suck up the dog to stay ahead of the hair.
English Setter... his white hair forms "snow drifts" in a matter of days...
;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , says...

On 8/5/2017 3:20 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-50-lb...EP50/202056504

Wow, that's a new one on me! I never knew such a thing existed.
I've used similar things for oil and spilled paint, but I never
imagined something like that for dust.

50# will last a very long time. You just sprinkle a little and it all
works as you sweep along. It is sort of like oild sawdust.

I think I'll pick some up.
I wonder if it works on wood floors.

Yes it does. The old hardware srore in Elmira Ontario had hardwood
floors and sweepong compound was used all the time.It was also used on
hardwood floors as well as terrazo ot school.

Thanks for that info. Think I'll try it.

The only time I ever saw it was when the janitor at the high school was
sweeping out the gym, which had a hardwood floor.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/5/2017 3:20 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-50-lb...EP50/202056504

Wow, that's a new one on me! I never knew such a thing existed.
I've used similar things for oil and spilled paint, but I never
imagined something like that for dust.

50# will last a very long time. You just sprinkle a little and it all
works as you sweep along. It is sort of like oild sawdust.

I think I'll pick some up.
I wonder if it works on wood floors.

They seem to be contradicting themselves on their website.

http://www.zepcommercial.com/product/Sweeping-Compound

From the column on the right: "SDS & PRO TIPS"

Pro Tips
This product is safe for both hard and soft flooring.

---

From the column on the right: "Questions & Answers"
Questions And Answers
Can you use it on finished hardwood floors

Answers
Thank you for contacting us. We do not recommend applying this product to hardwood floors.

We hope this helps. If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

Zep Commercial | Consumer Relations Department
2 years, 6 months ago
ZepRepresentative

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/5/2017 3:20 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-50-lb...EP50/202056504

Wow, that's a new one on me! I never knew such a thing existed.
I've used similar things for oil and spilled paint, but I never
imagined something like that for dust.

50# will last a very long time. You just sprinkle a little and it all
works as you sweep along. It is sort of like oild sawdust.

I think I'll pick some up.
I wonder if it works on wood floors.

They seem to be contradicting themselves on their website.

http://www.zepcommercial.com/product/Sweeping-Compound

From the column on the right: "SDS & PRO TIPS"

Pro Tips
This product is safe for both hard and soft flooring.

---

From the column on the right: "Questions & Answers"
Questions And Answers
Can you use it on finished hardwood floors

Answers
Thank you for contacting us. We do not recommend applying this product to hardwood floors.

We hope this helps. If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

Zep Commercial | Consumer Relations Department
2 years, 6 months ago
ZepRepresentative

Interestingly enough, DustBane Corp, who first mareketted the stuff,
no longer even lists it as one of their products ---- I guess too many
imitators made it unprofitable for them???
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/5/2017 3:20 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-50-lb...EP50/202056504

Wow, that's a new one on me! I never knew such a thing existed.
I've used similar things for oil and spilled paint, but I never
imagined something like that for dust.

50# will last a very long time. You just sprinkle a little and it all
works as you sweep along. It is sort of like oild sawdust.

I think I'll pick some up.
I wonder if it works on wood floors.

They seem to be contradicting themselves on their website.

http://www.zepcommercial.com/product/Sweeping-Compound

From the column on the right: "SDS & PRO TIPS"

Pro Tips
This product is safe for both hard and soft flooring.

---

From the column on the right: "Questions & Answers"
Questions And Answers
Can you use it on finished hardwood floors

Answers
Thank you for contacting us. We do not recommend applying this product to hardwood floors.

We hope this helps. If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

Zep Commercial | Consumer Relations Department
2 years, 6 months ago
ZepRepresentative

I'm surprised at that. I can show you a 20,000 sq ft warehouse where it
has been used for years with no ill effects. Unless they mean
unfinished wood. I can see that as it does have some sort of oil in it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/5/2017 3:20 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-50-lb...EP50/202056504

Wow, that's a new one on me! I never knew such a thing existed.
I've used similar things for oil and spilled paint, but I never
imagined something like that for dust.

50# will last a very long time. You just sprinkle a little and it all
works as you sweep along. It is sort of like oild sawdust.

I think I'll pick some up.
I wonder if it works on wood floors.

They seem to be contradicting themselves on their website.

http://www.zepcommercial.com/product/Sweeping-Compound

From the column on the right: "SDS & PRO TIPS"

Pro Tips
This product is safe for both hard and soft flooring.

---

From the column on the right: "Questions & Answers"
Questions And Answers
Can you use it on finished hardwood floors

Answers
Thank you for contacting us. We do not recommend applying this product to hardwood floors.

We hope this helps. If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

Zep Commercial | Consumer Relations Department
2 years, 6 months ago
ZepRepresentative

Perhaps they are worried about it scratching the finish, who knows?
Not an issue for me since I'm considering it for the OSB floor in my
sharn.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

iRobot Scooba / Roomba komobu Home Repair 16 June 28th 07 10:11 PM
Roomba vs. Trilobite aniram Home Ownership 23 February 24th 05 03:49 AM
Roomba asd Home Ownership 6 December 31st 04 09:33 PM
OT Roomba robotic floor sweepers Capitol UK diy 4 August 4th 04 08:04 PM
Roomba Vacuum cleaner question SteveB Home Repair 19 February 27th 04 08:41 PM