Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Anybody use a Roomba in the workshop?

On 8/5/2017 10:46 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 8/4/17 10:12 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
wrote in
:

[snip]
so on. I'm wondering how well Roomba would do with the fine dust that
escapes my air filter
too, and settles out of the air hours later, or with the stuff that I
miss with the broom.

It would work great for that, if you didn't move stuff around a lot.
Unfortunately, they are easily confused.

How so, Mike? I don't own one but I always thought they cleaned in a
randomized pattern - just take off and go until they sense/touch and
object and then alter course until the next obstruction.

In any case given their limitations on larger debris, I would think the
OP would be better off just making a fast pass with a floor vacuum tool
attached to a shop vac or dust collection system. By the time he's
picked up all the little bits, he's near done anyway. At a couple
hundred for a Roomba, he can buy some nice hardwoods or another tool. ;-)

Maybe they have improved their "brains" since we had one.
But our would often get stuck in one area and just keep re-cleaning that
section over and over until it decided it was done.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--