Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Anybody use a Roomba in the workshop?

On Sat, 5 Aug 2017 11:46:31 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 8/5/17 11:43 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 8/5/2017 10:46 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 8/4/17 10:12 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
wrote in
:

[snip]
so on. I'm wondering how well Roomba would do with the fine dust
that escapes my air filter
too, and settles out of the air hours later, or with the stuff that
I miss with the broom.

It would work great for that, if you didn't move stuff around a lot.
Unfortunately, they are easily confused.

How so, Mike? I don't own one but I always thought they cleaned in a
randomized pattern - just take off and go until they sense/touch and
object and then alter course until the next obstruction.

In any case given their limitations on larger debris, I would think
the OP would be better off just making a fast pass with a floor vacuum
tool attached to a shop vac or dust collection system. By the time
he's picked up all the little bits, he's near done anyway. At a
couple hundred for a Roomba, he can buy some nice hardwoods or another
tool. ;-)

Maybe they have improved their "brains" since we had one.
But our would often get stuck in one area and just keep re-cleaning that
section over and over until it decided it was done.

Then again, I'm not sure this was a Roomba. It may have been another
brand.

The one we had was a Roombs by i-robot