Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Something Different For a Change

Instead of creating I did some repair work on an old walnut table. The
customer contacted me about an old table that had a broken leg. As it
turns out it had two broken legs and the third was loose. The table has
a fold down leaf on each end and pulled apart for a center leaf.

This link shows the worst of the three legs and obviously some one
before me has made repairs. Notice the finish nail protruding through
the bottom of the top. Part of the leg was still attached to that tenon
on the apron.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Hardware to hold the end leafs up.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Part number 768

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

One of the original hinges, a few had been replaced by the typical
galvanized "Stanley" hardware type hinges.
And closer inspection seems to reveal That the aprons, maybe the legs
too were oak.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

The old way of making pocket holes for attaching the apron to the walnut
top.
It appears a flat bottom hole was drilled at an angle from the bottom
up. Than a screw was inserted through the side of the hole.
Oh, and those steel strait blade wood screws were great. No bit
slippage at all.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Reassembled

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

And with the end leafs extended.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

I did numerous repairs to split aprons and used epoxy to reglue all of
the apron tenons back onto the legs. And I added some additional modern
day pocket holes and screws. I think I removed a dozen finish nails
that were in strange places.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 2:32:29 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
Instead of creating I did some repair work on an old walnut table.

I did numerous repairs to split aprons and used epoxy to reglue all of
the apron tenons back onto the legs. And I added some additional modern
day pocket holes and screws. I think I removed a dozen finish nails
that were in strange places.

Looks like a nice old table. Interesting details and hardware. Good job.

What the heck are those pock marks, on the underside? Those have me baffled. I suppose, no telling why they're there.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Your project reminds me of a somewhat similar aged rectangle walnut table I have been wanting to repair and refinish. I recently removed it from the (now) Observatory (previously the hand tool room behind the garage). A neighbor was to toss it to the road. She had used it as a gardening/planting table. No fold-down end leaves and the inside leaves are missing.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
[...]

Beautiful table. I undertook to repair a pedestal table which was
probably as old as I am. It had also been "repaired" in the past with
nails and glue. At least all the parts were there.

--
GW Ross

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/7/2017 4:10 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 2:32:29 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
Instead of creating I did some repair work on an old walnut table.

I did numerous repairs to split aprons and used epoxy to reglue all of
the apron tenons back onto the legs. And I added some additional modern
day pocket holes and screws. I think I removed a dozen finish nails
that were in strange places.

Looks like a nice old table. Interesting details and hardware. Good job.

What the heck are those pock marks, on the underside? Those have me baffled. I suppose, no telling why they're there.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

I meant to post that picture, thanks for bringing that up. Those are
numerous and close together on both fold down leaves. They were also on
the main table sections but not as evident.

Something I also noticed is that the edge detail around the perimeter of
the table was not consistent. I wonder if the tool used to create the
perimeter edge treatment only cut small lengths at a time and had to be
more closely placed on the rounded sections.

Your project reminds me of a somewhat similar aged rectangle walnut table I have been wanting to repair and refinish. I recently removed it from the (now) Observatory (previously the hand tool room behind the garage). A neighbor was to toss it to the road. She had used it as a gardening/planting table. No fold-down end leaves and the inside leaves are missing.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/7/2017 4:23 PM, G Ross wrote:
Leon wrote:
[...]

It was a nice piece and well built, no telling how old it was.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 7 May 2017 21:44:41 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 5/7/2017 4:10 PM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

Sure looks like "clamp tracks"
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/7/2017 4:10 PM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

Agreed, but completely around the whole table top with somewhat
consistent spacing on the curved sections. I think it was a part of the
manufacturing process vs. something an owner may have mounted on the table.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/7/2017 3:32 PM, Leon wrote:

Oh, and those steel strait blade wood screws were great. No bit
slippage at all.

You say "great"? I assume you mean for slotted screws. High quality
slotted screws don't slip when using a properly fitting quality screw
driver. Using power drivers not so much. I've long ago tossed all
remaining slotted screws I own. If they still make them, they
shouldn't... Philips screws look best, and work second only to torx
screws. IMNSHO they could quit making all the rest.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/8/2017 9:39 AM, Jack wrote:
On 5/7/2017 3:32 PM, Leon wrote:

Oh, and those steel strait blade wood screws were great. No bit
slippage at all.

You say "great"? I assume you mean for slotted screws.

Yes

High quality
slotted screws don't slip when using a properly fitting quality screw
driver.

Actually with these quality steel slotted screws it did not matter what
size straight blade driver I used. I started with a 1/4' blade and
ended up using a 3/8" tipped because the handle was bigger and I could
apply more torque. The slots in the screws did not show any signs of
every being rounded off.

Using power drivers not so much.

It is OK if you can keep the bit in line with the screw, hard to do with
a drill type driver. With a standard or Yankee style driver not a problem.

I've long ago tossed all
remaining slotted screws I own.

I prefer to not use them at all but in this case I would imagine that
this was all that was available when the table was manufactured.

If they still make them, they
shouldn't... Philips screws look best, and work second only to torx
screws. IMNSHO they could quit making all the rest.

I prefer torx/star over square/Robertson but square/Robertson over
Philips. For me it is much easier to find quality square and torx than
a quality Philips.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 12:32:29 PM UTC-7, Leon wrote:
Instead of creating I did some repair work on an old walnut table.

The old way of making pocket holes for attaching the apron to the walnut
top.
It appears a flat bottom hole was drilled at an angle from the bottom
up. Than a screw was inserted through the side of the hole.

That's a lovely detail (but a little frightening, overtightening a flathead
screw would split the grain). Kreg screws are better (if you
don't wnat to conserve the article for a museum). The tiny
scoops for screwdriver clearance look like knife-whittled work: I approve!

Speaking of splitting the grain, I hope the underside of that lovely
wood top is somewhat sealed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/8/2017 4:45 PM, whit3rd wrote:
On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 12:32:29 PM UTC-7, Leon wrote:
Instead of creating I did some repair work on an old walnut table.

The old way of making pocket holes for attaching the apron to the walnut
top.
It appears a flat bottom hole was drilled at an angle from the bottom
up. Than a screw was inserted through the side of the hole.

That's a lovely detail (but a little frightening, overtightening a flathead
screw would split the grain). Kreg screws are better (if you
don't wnat to conserve the article for a museum).

Yes but Kreg's grand father may not have been born yet. I did add
several Kreg style screws but I hope that will not be a problem.
While what you mentioned could be true, splitting the grain, the
countersink head could pivot in the over sized holes to allow for the
top to expand and contract.

The tiny
scoops for screwdriver clearance look like knife-whittled work: I approve!

Speaking of splitting the grain, I hope the underside of that lovely
wood top is somewhat sealed.

Not that I could tell, only finished on the outside of the apron. the
inside of th apron appeared to be unfinished. BUT then again, it has
held up for a very long time as is.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/8/2017 5:19 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Well looking again, there does appear to have some type finish in the
inside of the apron, but not where the apron and legs were mounted.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 5:24:10 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Well looking again, there does appear to have some type finish in the
inside of the apron, but not where the apron and legs were mounted.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Nicely done! I like doing projects like that because it takes a different skill set as well as imagination. Thanks again for posting your pics of the project.

All of those little details you found like the unfinished areas, the ULTRA cool number on the leg, even the previous repairs... all part of that piece's story. Not to take away from anyone's build efforts, but working with a fine old piece to give it a little more life (even if it wasn't really special in its day) makes me smile.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/9/2017 12:30 AM, wrote:
On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 5:24:10 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Well looking again, there does appear to have some type finish in
the inside of the apron, but not where the apron and legs were
mounted.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Nicely done! I like doing projects like that because it takes a
different skill set as well as imagination. Thanks again for posting
your pics of the project.

Thank you.

All of those little details you found like the unfinished areas, the
ULTRA cool number on the leg, even the previous repairs... all part
of that piece's story. Not to take away from anyone's build efforts,
but working with a fine old piece to give it a little more life (even
if it wasn't really special in its day) makes me smile.

Robert

Yeah, you have to wonder what tools they had to work with back then.
the owner thought the table was hand made, It did have some apparent
inconsistencies, especially around the perimeter of the top, but
evidence that a larger power tool was used for cutting the recess for
the hinges and the slots in the legs to receive the apron tenons.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 8:08:04 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 5/9/2017 12:30 AM, wrote:
All of those little details you found like the unfinished areas, the
ULTRA cool number on the leg, even the previous repairs... all part
of that piece's story. Not to take away from anyone's build efforts,
but working with a fine old piece to give it a little more life (even
if it wasn't really special in its day) makes me smile.

Robert

Yeah, you have to wonder what tools they had to work with back then.
the owner thought the table was hand made, It did have some apparent
inconsistencies, especially around the perimeter of the top, but
evidence that a larger power tool was used for cutting the recess for
the hinges and the slots in the legs to receive the apron tenons.

Yeah, echoing Robert's comments, similarly, I presently have a child's chair to upholster. Once I removed some of the layers of fabric (previous upholsterer(s) didn't remove previous fabrics), I've discovered broken parts and poor repairs. But I like repairing these sorts of projects, properly fixing the chair to a much better condition. With these discoveries, I wonder how a small chair, as this, became so damaged in the first place.

Some pics (scroll right for 2 more pics) of the broken (in many pieces) backrest framing. Second pic shows plywood and a metal plate "repair". 3rd pic shows more of the ply repair. I haven't finished tearing the older fabrics off, so I may discover more issues. The front legs are, for sure, loose.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

As dpb alludes to, at first I thought some seller did these quick fixes, to sell the chair at a quick profit. I asked the owner if that was the case or is the chair a family hand-me-down. It's been in the family, so I want, more so, to fix it properly. I suppose previous fixes were family attempts and understandable (not a put-down on their part!).

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/9/2017 12:30 AM, wrote:
[...]

Looks pretty old, I see some of those old timey screws in there. LOL
Be sure and posts pictures of the end result.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 05/09/2017 9:46 AM, Sonny wrote:

As dpb alludes to, at first I thought some seller did these quick
fixes, to sell the chair at a quick profit. I asked the owner if that
was the case or is the chair a family hand-me-down. It's been in the
family, so I want, more so, to fix it properly. I suppose previous fixes
were family attempts and understandable (not a put-down on their part!).

I almost always ended up putting far more time/effort into any of the
pieces than they were worth monetarily simply 'cuz couldn't stand to not
do whatever it was needed "right"...

The one agreement we had was that I did _NOT_ do the
stripping/refinishing....

She and in particular one other of her buddies were very good at
recognizing what was underneath the present appearance...consequently,
much of what they did bring home was the unappreciated for the shape it
was in...

Almost everything was factory-built even if there were still some signs
of a little bit of handwork here and there -- kinda' like what I'd guess
is may the case of Leon's table here. OTOH, there was the occasional
home-built piece, but none of them came across over the time were doing
this were anything much beyond primitives--no budding Duncan Phyfe's in
E TN then, apparently.

Lonnie Bird apparently sprang full-bloom (of course, he was still in
Berea, KY, at that time, before the move to Knoxville area).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 11:41:12 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 05/09/2017 9:46 AM, Sonny wrote:
As dpb alludes to,

That may have been a poor choice of words, in reference to what you contributed. My statement was toward this small chair, thinking, when I first saw some of its issues, that the owner may have picked it up at some sale.

I almost always ended up putting far more time/effort into any of the
pieces than they were worth monetarily simply 'cuz couldn't stand to not
do whatever it was needed "right"...

Yep, yep, yep! It's almost always more work than it's worth, especially (most times) when my relatives ask me to do magic and expect minimum cost, if any at all.

I like doing repairs as a hobby, so I often overlook costs to a customer, especially return customers. I would normally charge 1) about $50-$75 to repair this chair, 2) $75 is my fee for re-seating and re-tying springs onto 3) new jute webbing. Just removing old tacks and staples are time consuming, as well. Usually, these old pieces are full of old dust and (soft materials) decay, and cleaning is another time consumer. I'll charge $50 for all this work, more so to get the chair in good order. I learn from these sorts of repairs, so I accept this as a sort of payment, also.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 05/09/2017 12:15 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 11:41:12 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 05/09/2017 9:46 AM, Sonny wrote:
As dpb alludes to,

That may have been a poor choice of words, in reference to what you
contributed. My statement was toward this small chair, thinking, when I
first saw some of its issues, that the owner may have picked it up at
some sale.

Oh, no, not to worry!!! :

I grok'ed the intent, just felt 'geezer time' comin' on. Actually, for
the most part as you I enjoyed doing it and she actually made some
pretty decent money for a part-time (mostly) hobby. They had their
jollies in the hunting together, besides.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 10:21:14 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Looks pretty old, I see some of those old timey screws in there. LOL
Be sure and posts pictures of the end result.

The brown fabric is original, but there were 2 more fabric layers underneath.

Progress: Front legs & side rail are repaired... required reattaching the front corner braces. The backrest was too far gone, so I made a new upper backrest. New jute webbing & retied the spring set. As of this posting, the seat is reupholstered and I may finish upholstering the inside back this afternoon. Page right for more pics.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...in/photostream

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/12/2017 4:35 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 10:21:14 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Looks pretty old, I see some of those old timey screws in there. LOL
Be sure and posts pictures of the end result.

The brown fabric is original, but there were 2 more fabric layers underneath.

Progress: Front legs & side rail are repaired... required reattaching the front corner braces. The backrest was too far gone, so I made a new upper backrest. New jute webbing & retied the spring set. As of this posting, the seat is reupholstered and I may finish upholstering the inside back this afternoon. Page right for more pics.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...in/photostream

Sonny

Nice work, not my style, but I do appreciate what went into it.

--
Jeff