JM

Default Change fuses for MCBs or change the whole lot?

I've currently got a couple of small Wylex fuse boxes with 3 fuses each -
one has three 6 amp fuses, the other has 1x6, 1x15 and 1x30.

I was wondering if it would be worthwhile changing the fuses for MCBs (I've
seen them available on TLC), or whether it's better to get the whole lot
changed over for a more modern consumer unit with room for expansion later.

I'm not too worried about cost (although would be interested in ideas about
how much the job would likely cost - I'm in Leeds).

John.

Lurch

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 23:47:16 -0000, "JM" strung
together this:

I was wondering if it would be worthwhile changing the fuses for MCBs (I've
seen them available on TLC), or whether it's better to get the whole lot
changed over for a more modern consumer unit with room for expansion later.

I'd change the whole lot, the materials will probably cost about the
same but you'll get the addition of RCD protection and a new CU rather
than a wanky old under-rated Wylex one!

I'm not too worried about cost (although would be interested in ideas about
how much the job would likely cost - I'm in Leeds).

Well, if money's no object then I'll do it for about 4 grand.
Alternatively, to pay an electrician look at around £250-300.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
JM

Lurch wrote:
On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 23:47:16 -0000, "JM" strung
together this:

I was wondering if it would be worthwhile changing the fuses for
MCBs (I've seen them available on TLC), or whether it's better to
get the whole lot changed over for a more modern consumer unit with
room for expansion later.

I'd change the whole lot, the materials will probably cost about the
same but you'll get the addition of RCD protection and a new CU rather
than a wanky old under-rated Wylex one!

Thought that might be the case (i.e. materials cost).

I'm not too worried about cost (although would be interested in
ideas about how much the job would likely cost - I'm in Leeds).

Well, if money's no object then I'll do it for about 4 grand.
Alternatively, to pay an electrician look at around £250-300.

Well, not too worried within reason - I can spare a few hundred quid but not
a few thousand ;-)

John.

N. Thornton

"JM" wrote in message ...
Lurch wrote:
[...]

Since youve got 2 boxes, ie effectively a split rail setup already,
and Henleys for future expansion already, the only advantage in a new
box will be an RCD. And since you have only one ring, you may live to
regret fitting one. Or not...

Fitting mcbs is very quick and easy.

NT
ARWadsworth

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...
"JM" wrote in message

Lurch wrote:
[...]

Personally I would change the lot for a large non split load box and use an
RCBO for the ring (if it Meggers OK).

I usually find that on a set-up like this there is also a good chance that
the earth bonding is non existent and so the quote for the job increases.

Adam

Kalico

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 00:18:16 +0000, Lurch
wrote:

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 23:47:16 -0000, "JM" strung
together this:

I was wondering if it would be worthwhile changing the fuses for MCBs (I've
seen them available on TLC), or whether it's better to get the whole lot
changed over for a more modern consumer unit with room for expansion later.

I'd change the whole lot, the materials will probably cost about the
same but you'll get the addition of RCD protection and a new CU rather
than a wanky old under-rated Wylex one!

I'm not too worried about cost (although would be interested in ideas about
how much the job would likely cost - I'm in Leeds).

Well, if money's no object then I'll do it for about 4 grand.
Alternatively, to pay an electrician look at around £250-300.

Email me (rob at kalico dot org) if you need it sorting. I am local.

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply
Lurch

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 01:29:55 +0000, Kalico strung
together this:

Email me (rob at kalico dot org) if you need it sorting. I am local.

Don't think I'll bother, thanks for the offer though.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd