Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Something Different For a Change

On 5/8/2017 9:39 AM, Jack wrote:
On 5/7/2017 3:32 PM, Leon wrote:

Oh, and those steel strait blade wood screws were great. No bit
slippage at all.

You say "great"? I assume you mean for slotted screws.

Yes

High quality
slotted screws don't slip when using a properly fitting quality screw
driver.

Actually with these quality steel slotted screws it did not matter what
size straight blade driver I used. I started with a 1/4' blade and
ended up using a 3/8" tipped because the handle was bigger and I could
apply more torque. The slots in the screws did not show any signs of
every being rounded off.

Using power drivers not so much.

It is OK if you can keep the bit in line with the screw, hard to do with
a drill type driver. With a standard or Yankee style driver not a problem.

I've long ago tossed all
remaining slotted screws I own.

I prefer to not use them at all but in this case I would imagine that
this was all that was available when the table was manufactured.

If they still make them, they
shouldn't... Philips screws look best, and work second only to torx
screws. IMNSHO they could quit making all the rest.

I prefer torx/star over square/Robertson but square/Robertson over
Philips. For me it is much easier to find quality square and torx than
a quality Philips.