external usenet poster

Default Something Different For a Change

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 8:08:04 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 5/9/2017 12:30 AM, wrote:
All of those little details you found like the unfinished areas, the
ULTRA cool number on the leg, even the previous repairs... all part
of that piece's story. Not to take away from anyone's build efforts,
but working with a fine old piece to give it a little more life (even
if it wasn't really special in its day) makes me smile.

Robert

Yeah, you have to wonder what tools they had to work with back then.
the owner thought the table was hand made, It did have some apparent
inconsistencies, especially around the perimeter of the top, but
evidence that a larger power tool was used for cutting the recess for
the hinges and the slots in the legs to receive the apron tenons.

Yeah, echoing Robert's comments, similarly, I presently have a child's chair to upholster. Once I removed some of the layers of fabric (previous upholsterer(s) didn't remove previous fabrics), I've discovered broken parts and poor repairs. But I like repairing these sorts of projects, properly fixing the chair to a much better condition. With these discoveries, I wonder how a small chair, as this, became so damaged in the first place.

Some pics (scroll right for 2 more pics) of the broken (in many pieces) backrest framing. Second pic shows plywood and a metal plate "repair". 3rd pic shows more of the ply repair. I haven't finished tearing the older fabrics off, so I may discover more issues. The front legs are, for sure, loose.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

As dpb alludes to, at first I thought some seller did these quick fixes, to sell the chair at a quick profit. I asked the owner if that was the case or is the chair a family hand-me-down. It's been in the family, so I want, more so, to fix it properly. I suppose previous fixes were family attempts and understandable (not a put-down on their part!).

Sonny