Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Woodpeckers isn't alone.

Seems Woodpeckers isn't the only one selling a dumb idea.

http://www.toolnut.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=calavera&trk_msg=TEUOO45PFHSK90AU4J0U4N4BN0&trk _contact=KQTSG16SEK63VR876LV4HQS4NS&utm_source=Lis trak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=http%3a%2f%2fwww.to olnut.com%2fcatalogsearch%2fresult%2f%3fq%3dcalave ra&utm_campaign=New+Calavera+Organization+Solution +Breaks+the+Mold
Posted to rec.woodworking

Too bad it's not as nice looking as this "Calavera"
Marc

https://calaveraswimwear.com/collections/all-products
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 8 Dec 2016 18:14:30 -0800 (PST), marc rosen
wrote:

Too bad it's not as nice looking as this "Calavera"
Marc

https://calaveraswimwear.com/collections/all-products

Different species of wood.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, December 8, 2016 at 8:14:33 PM UTC-6, marc rosen wrote:
Too bad it's not as nice looking as this "Calavera"
Marc

https://calaveraswimwear.com/collections/all-products

There swimsuit models are not ugly. No. But they aren't going to win any beauty contests either.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, December 9, 2016 at 12:08:33 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thursday, December 8, 2016 at 8:14:33 PM UTC-6, marc rosen wrote:
Too bad it's not as nice looking as this "Calavera"
Marc

https://calaveraswimwear.com/collections/all-products

There swimsuit models are not ugly. No. But they aren't going to win any beauty contests either.

One of them would if they were the only ones in it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/8/2016 9:14 PM, marc rosen wrote:
Too bad it's not as nice looking as this "Calavera"
Marc

https://calaveraswimwear.com/collections/all-products

Slip one on. We'll decide which looks best.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/8/2016 7:41 PM, krw wrote:

Seems Woodpeckers isn't the only one selling a dumb idea.

http://www.toolnut.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=calavera&trk_msg=TEUOO45PFHSK90AU4J0U4N4BN0&trk _contact=KQTSG16SEK63VR876LV4HQS4NS&utm_source=Lis trak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=http%3a%2f%2fwww.to olnut.com%2fcatalogsearch%2fresult%2f%3fq%3dcalave ra&utm_campaign=New+Calavera+Organization+Solution +Breaks+the+Mold

Not so much an idea, but the same brand and item as what Woodpecker is
selling.

Now this will make you laugh. My wife made these a year or two ago for
presents for her sewing friends. They are like litter baskets. ;~)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-12-09, krw wrote:

Seems Woodpeckers isn't the only one selling a dumb idea.

C'mon ....you ppl love this crap. I can tell by this newsgroup's love
of Lee Valley Tools.

Yes, I've bought some woodworking tools from Lee Valley, but I also
recently received their Christmas gift catalog. Watta buncha insanely
overpriced plastic junk!

It's embarrassing, really. 8|

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/9/2016 11:22 AM, Leon wrote:
On 12/8/2016 7:41 PM, krw wrote:

Seems Woodpeckers isn't the only one selling a dumb idea.

http://www.toolnut.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=calavera&trk_msg=TEUOO45PFHSK90AU4J0U4N4BN0&trk _contact=KQTSG16SEK63VR876LV4HQS4NS&utm_source=Lis trak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=http%3a%2f%2fwww.to olnut.com%2fcatalogsearch%2fresult%2f%3fq%3dcalave ra&utm_campaign=New+Calavera+Organization+Solution +Breaks+the+Mold

Not so much an idea, but the same brand and item as what Woodpecker is
selling.

Now this will make you laugh. My wife made these a year or two ago for
presents for her sewing friends. They are like litter baskets. ;~)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Here is the manufacturer of the bags that they are selling.

http://www.calaveratoolworks.com/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/8/2016 11:08 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, December 8, 2016 at 8:14:33 PM UTC-6, marc rosen wrote:
Too bad it's not as nice looking as this "Calavera"
Marc

https://calaveraswimwear.com/collections/all-products

There swimsuit models are not ugly. No. But they aren't going to win any beauty contests either.

That's OK ... #factoryairlivesmatter.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/09/2016 11:24 AM, notbob wrote:
Watta buncha insanely
overpriced plastic junk!

Some people are addicted to woodworking. Some people are tool collectors.
The intersection of these sets is not large.

I am no pro WWing genius but I've made some sawdust in my day. What
I have discovered in every profession/hobby/pursuit I've ever tried
is that one this seems mostly to be true everywhe

The better someone is at something, the less stuff they need to do it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/9/2016 2:13 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
On 12/09/2016 11:24 AM, notbob wrote:
Watta buncha insanely
overpriced plastic junk!

Some people are addicted to woodworking. Some people are tool collectors.
The intersection of these sets is not large.

I am no pro WWing genius but I've made some sawdust in my day. What
I have discovered in every profession/hobby/pursuit I've ever tried
is that one this seems mostly to be true everywhe

The better someone is at something, the less stuff they need to do it.

That statement is probably true but the person that is good at something
rarely does so with out a lot of experimentation on the best ways and
tools to use.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/09/2016 3:30 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/9/2016 2:13 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

The better someone is at something, the less stuff they need to do it.

That statement is probably true but the person that is good at something
rarely does so with out a lot of experimentation on the best ways and
tools to use.

"Need", I'd grant. I'd note that if one will observe the shops of the
truly talented, as a rule the number of specialized tools is
tremendously expanded over that of the even practiced weekender. OTOH,
the amateur is far more likely to have gathered many more power gadgets
in lieu of a myriad of hand planes, specialized chisels and handsaws,
etc., etc., etc., ...

I don't recall the particular individual now, but one of the recognized
professionals had tour of shop published in FWW a number of years ago.
His collection of hand planes that he actively used routinely was about
150--they were stored in a cubby-hole arrangement along one wall of the
shop by size and shape of sole as he used. He had a number that were of
extreme vintage plus those purchased as well as many that he had made
for himself.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-12-09, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

On 12/09/2016 11:24 AM, notbob wrote:

Watta buncha insanely overpriced plastic junk!

Some people are addicted to woodworking.

Others are excellent at selling drooling fools "insanely overpriced
plastic junk". Case in point:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware...p=74055&cat=53

I've bought a few things from Lee Valley. I'll most likely buy a few
more things. But, I'm no chump and will not pay $10 fer something I
can probably make out of a wad of chewing gum.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-12-09, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

On 12/09/2016 11:24 AM, notbob wrote:
Watta buncha insanely overpriced plastic junk!

Some people are addicted to woodworking.

Others are excellent at selling drooling fools "insanely overpriced
plastic junk". Case in point:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware...p=74055&cat=53

I've bought a few things from Lee Valley. I'll most likely buy a few
more things. But, I'm no chump and will not pay $10 fer something I
can probably make out of a wad of chewing gum.

I bought something similar at Office Depot once to get some internet
cable off of the floor. The price seemed "marked-up" to me too, but it
was a good and fast solution to a problem. The one's I bought were in
the "easily-removable" category. If I need 100 of them I might consider
the matter differently than if I needed only 6. My time is worth
something too... "You have to choose your battles..." : )

nb

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, December 9, 2016 at 11:22:33 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

Now this will make you laugh. My wife made these a year or two ago for
presents for her sewing friends. They are like litter baskets. ;~)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Need to hand those out to the young kids... tell them they are for holding/storing the clothes pins.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 11:22:17 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 12/8/2016 7:41 PM, krw wrote:

Seems Woodpeckers isn't the only one selling a dumb idea.

http://www.toolnut.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=calavera&trk_msg=TEUOO45PFHSK90AU4J0U4N4BN0&trk _contact=KQTSG16SEK63VR876LV4HQS4NS&utm_source=Lis trak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=http%3a%2f%2fwww.to olnut.com%2fcatalogsearch%2fresult%2f%3fq%3dcalave ra&utm_campaign=New+Calavera+Organization+Solution +Breaks+the+Mold

Not so much an idea, but the same brand and item as what Woodpecker is
selling.

Now this will make you laugh. My wife made these a year or two ago for
presents for her sewing friends. They are like litter baskets. ;~)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Hmm, too big for a beer koozie.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, December 9, 2016 at 3:59:24 PM UTC-6, notbob wrote:

Others are excellent at selling drooling fools "insanely overpriced
plastic junk". Case in point:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware...p=74055&cat=53

I've bought a few things from Lee Valley. I'll most likely buy a few
more things. But, I'm no chump and will not pay $10 fer something I
can probably make out of a wad of chewing gum.

nb

Colored cable holders! Spray paint some clothes pins and hot glue them to the "cabinet".

In some cases, I've used clothes pins as small wood clamps.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/9/2016 4:59 PM, notbob wrote:

Others are excellent at selling drooling fools "insanely overpriced
plastic junk". Case in point:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware...p=74055&cat=53

I've bought a few things from Lee Valley. I'll most likely buy a few
more things. But, I'm no chump and will not pay $10 fer something I
can probably make out of a wad of chewing gum.

nb

Wait a few weeks and you may find them at the Dollar store.

A few years ago I bought a few jar openers. Liked them so much I bought
some to give to friends. Went back for more and the price jumped up too
high
http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...=2,40733,40734
I'd gladly pay about $4 for it, but $9.95 is too much for a piece of
bent metal.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/9/2016 4:59 PM, notbob wrote:

Others are excellent at selling drooling fools "insanely overpriced
plastic junk". Case in point:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware...p=74055&cat=53

I've bought a few things from Lee Valley. I'll most likely buy a few
more things. But, I'm no chump and will not pay $10 fer something I
can probably make out of a wad of chewing gum.

nb

Wait a few weeks and you may find them at the Dollar store.

A few years ago I bought a few jar openers. Liked them so much I
bought some to give to friends. Went back for more and the price
jumped up too high
http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...=2,40733,40734
I'd gladly pay about $4 for it, but $9.95 is too much for a piece of
bent metal.

Looks like you could make something that would do the job--maybe from
soft steel, which is pretty cheap at the hardware store.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-12-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Wait a few weeks and you may find them at the Dollar store.

Prolly there, now, but fer a mere $3.

I bought one of Lee Valley's BPA-free 16oz mugs. Almost $14 w/ cap.
When I first dragged my new drinking vessel to a local BYOB gathering,
I was shocked to see at least 3-4 others drinking outta 22oz-36oz mugs
that looked exactly like my Tervis drinking vessel (exact same cap).
When I asked each person how much they paid for these
obiously-larger-than-mine vessels, no one answered any price over $5.
Boy, was I PO'd. Maybe they weren't BPA-free. ????

When I later got home, I discovered I had already bought a BPA-free
16oz mug fer me late mum. Marketed under the name Alladin, it was
made to look like a Mason jar, was double insultated (like a Tervis),
had a screw-on cap, and a built-in --yet removable-- straw. $10 at
Walmart. (sigh)

I'll learn.

nb

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/10/2016 8:53 AM, notbob wrote:
On 2016-12-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

If you strive to pay the least for something you may never buy anything.
You can always get something for less than you paid.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-12-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

True. If you need(want) something the decision is whether the item is
worth the price asked. If it is, buy it. Else...

You can always get something for less than you paid.

Sure and it hurts when it's $100 less expensive the next week. I just
remember that it was worth what I paid for it (or I wouldn't have).
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-12-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

I have a CitiCard Master Card. It pays me 2% for everything that I buy
and pay for when the bill is generated.
Also it has a price rewind feature that protects your purchase against
paying too much for 60 days.

For 2 items I have been credited $80 in the past 18 months.

I bought my son a Ridgid combo drill/impact and Citicards has already
found the price to be less, $20 less.

So if I see something I want but don't want to drive across town to get
the best deal the credit card credits me.

I just have to show my receipt, when, and where I bought it. Credit
shops up about 10 weeks after I make the purchase.

And they remind me that a purchase might be eligible.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-12-09, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

On 12/09/2016 11:24 AM, notbob wrote:

Watta buncha insanely overpriced plastic junk!

Some people are addicted to woodworking.

Others are excellent at selling drooling fools "insanely overpriced
plastic junk". Case in point:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware...p=74055&cat=53

I've bought a few things from Lee Valley. I'll most likely buy a few
more things. But, I'm no chump and will not pay $10 fer something I
can probably make out of a wad of chewing gum.

That $10 gets 9 pieces, so about a buck each. I'd not call that
"insanely overpriced plastic junk".
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-12-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

I've been tempted to get that card. I've looked hard at it but I have
enough cards. The best is my Sam's card - pays 5% back on gas and 3%
on travel/vacations. That's pretty much all I use it for. I paid for
half of my Unisaur with cash back from Amex.

Also it has a price rewind feature that protects your purchase against
paying too much for 60 days.

There must be limitations but it's a good deal. I doubt that I'd go
out of my way to collect on it, though.

For 2 items I have been credited $80 in the past 18 months.

I bought my son a Ridgid combo drill/impact and Citicards has already
found the price to be less, $20 less.

So if I see something I want but don't want to drive across town to get
the best deal the credit card credits me.

I just have to show my receipt, when, and where I bought it. Credit
shops up about 10 weeks after I make the purchase.

And they remind me that a purchase might be eligible.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-12-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

We also have Discover that pays 1% and 5% on some things that change
quarterly. BUT the catch with most 5% programs is that they are limited
to about $1500 per quarter or $45 back per quarter. We pay everything
that we can on CC and pay that card off each month with out fail. This
year the Citicard has averaged $70 per month in just cash back in
purchases.. We let the amount accumulate to help pay for Christmas,
year end property taxes, and insurance.

Also it has a price rewind feature that protects your purchase against
paying too much for 60 days.

There must be limitations but it's a good deal. I doubt that I'd go
out of my way to collect on it, though.

You really don't have to do any thing to collect except up load a scan
of your receipt. The CC company catches half of the purchases that I
make that qualify, those that I miss. That upload is all the paperwork
that you need.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-12-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

We don't use cards for everything. We go to restaurants three or four
times a week(end). I almost always use cash (and always tip in cash).
I prefer to use my cash-back on Festools. ;-)

Also it has a price rewind feature that protects your purchase against
paying too much for 60 days.

There must be limitations but it's a good deal. I doubt that I'd go
out of my way to collect on it, though.

You really don't have to do any thing to collect except up load a scan
of your receipt. The CC company catches half of the purchases that I
make that qualify, those that I miss. That upload is all the paperwork
that you need.

How do they know what the "new" price is?

Posted to rec.woodworking

If you strive to pay the least for something you may never buy
anything. You can always get something for less than you paid.

I've learned in a few cases that I should be buying at Walmart instead
of Lowes. 20-30% price difference on the same garbage bags for instance.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/10/2016 11:50 PM, Bill wrote:

If you strive to pay the least for something you may never buy
anything. You can always get something for less than you paid.

I've learned in a few cases that I should be buying at Walmart instead
of Lowes. 20-30% price difference on the same garbage bags for instance.

Typically Lowe's, Home Depot and the like are convenient not
competitively priced.

About 10 years go my local ACE hardware store challenged me to find
something that they and the local Home Depot stocked where Home Depot
was less expensive. This is not always true but you have to shop to get
the lowest price.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-12-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

Well you could reduce your costs by 2% if you did use a card. ;~)

Also it has a price rewind feature that protects your purchase against
paying too much for 60 days.

There must be limitations but it's a good deal. I doubt that I'd go
out of my way to collect on it, though.

You really don't have to do any thing to collect except up load a scan
of your receipt. The CC company catches half of the purchases that I
make that qualify, those that I miss. That upload is all the paperwork
that you need.

How do they know what the "new" price is?

I am clueless how they keep up with that. All I know is that I submit
the copy of the receipt for the chosen purchase and a lower price is
often found with out my help. In the beginning I thought I had to show
proof of a lower price but that is not the case. And they watch for 60
days. If during that 60 day period there is a price reduction somewhere
you get the credit, even if the price goes back up.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-12-09, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

On 12/09/2016 11:24 AM, notbob wrote:
Watta buncha insanely overpriced plastic junk!
Some people are addicted to woodworking.

Others are excellent at selling drooling fools "insanely overpriced
plastic junk". Case in point:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware...p=74055&cat=53

I've bought a few things from Lee Valley. I'll most likely buy a few
more things. But, I'm no chump and will not pay $10 fer something I
can probably make out of a wad of chewing gum.

I bought something similar at Office Depot once to get some internet
cable off of the floor. The price seemed "marked-up" to me too, but it
was a good and fast solution to a problem. The one's I bought were in
the "easily-removable" category. If I need 100 of them I might consider
the matter differently than if I needed only 6. My time is worth
something too... "You have to choose your battles..." : )

I needed something similar to keep my Cell phone charging cord on top of
my table, and I used a paper clip, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prG3qWjp4Nk

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/10/2016 12:13 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/9/2016 4:59 PM, notbob wrote:

Others are excellent at selling drooling fools "insanely overpriced
plastic junk". Case in point:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware...p=74055&cat=53

I've bought a few things from Lee Valley. I'll most likely buy a few
more things. But, I'm no chump and will not pay $10 fer something I
can probably make out of a wad of chewing gum.

nb

Wait a few weeks and you may find them at the Dollar store.

A few years ago I bought a few jar openers. Liked them so much I bought
some to give to friends. Went back for more and the price jumped up too
high
http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...=2,40733,40734
I'd gladly pay about $4 for it, but $9.95 is too much for a piece of
bent metal.

I learned long ago the easiest way to open jars like this is to run hot
water over the lid for a few seconds. Seems to work 100% of the time.

--
Jack
I finally got my head together, and now my body is falling apart.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/11/2016 12:50 AM, Bill wrote:

If you strive to pay the least for something you may never buy
anything. You can always get something for less than you paid.

I've learned in a few cases that I should be buying at Walmart instead
of Lowes. 20-30% price difference on the same garbage bags for instance.

I use earphones every day, specifically Sony MDR-G45LP behind the head
model, and I keep an extra pair for when one breaks. The last pair I
bought was $13 on Amazon in 2012. I broke the old ones and went to
Amazon to get another set. They were $27 plus shipping. I looked
around a bit, and same prices came up. I didn't buy them because I
though the doubling of price seemed wrong. Few weeks later I did a more
thorough search and found them on line at Walmart for $14 and free
shipping. Much more like it, so I bought 2, just in case.

You might always be able to get something for less than you paid, but
it's even more likely to pay way too much for something, especially at
Amazon. You really need to be careful buying from Amazon, they are
sneaky *******s...

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/10/2016 5:56 PM, Leon wrote:

I have a CitiCard Master Card. It pays me 2% for everything that I buy
and pay for when the bill is generated.
Also it has a price rewind feature that protects your purchase against
paying too much for 60 days.

I just went to their site

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/citi.action

and a quick look-see didn't find this feature?

Am I at the right place? This sounds too good to pass up. I'm a cheap
SOB so I usually look before I leap, but my wife seems to care less, and
goes by your philosophy just buy whatever you want, don't worry about
the price.

She's too old for the "if it feels good do it" crowd, but she's adopted
that attitude when buying stuff. She needs this card... I need her to
get this card...

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/11/2016 1:58 PM, Jack wrote:

A few years ago I bought a few jar openers. Liked them so much I bought
some to give to friends. Went back for more and the price jumped up too
high
http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...=2,40733,40734
I'd gladly pay about $4 for it, but $9.95 is too much for a piece of
bent metal.

I learned long ago the easiest way to open jars like this is to run hot
water over the lid for a few seconds. Seems to work 100% of the time.

Works well on previously opened jars but I found it less so on new. The
trick is to release the vacuum.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-12-11, Jack wrote:

I learned long ago the easiest way to open jars like this is to run hot
water over the lid for a few seconds. Seems to work 100% of the time.

I learned a long time ago yer method does not always work.

Take the backside of a butter knife and apply glancing blows to the
outside-upper corner of the cap --in the direction of "lefty Lucy"--
to loosen the cap. I've use the same method --with a hammer and a
cold chisel-- to loosen rusted bolts/washers.

Gar-own-tee!

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote:

I needed something similar to keep my Cell phone charging cord on top
of my table, and I used a paper clip, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prG3qWjp4Nk

Some nice tips there!
Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, December 11, 2016 at 1:58:59 PM UTC-5, Jack wrote:
[...]

I learned a long time ago that the easiest way to open a jar is to turn it over and slap the
bottom hard enough to hear a "crack". Most of the pressure will have been released and
the top will spin off with relative ease.

I learned that from a bartender in Germany while serving in the USCG. SWMBO will hand
me a jar that she can't open, I'll slap it and hand it back. She opens it right up.

Woodpeckers Kurt Ullman Home Repair 24 October 17th 11 01:05 PM
Woodpeckers? Mark & Juanita Woodworking 54 January 17th 09 02:05 AM
Damn woodpeckers... aemeijers Home Repair 23 November 24th 08 03:51 AM
Woodpeckers [email protected] Home Repair 2 August 10th 07 03:55 AM
Woodpeckers Wonderfence? Kevin Woodworking 2 January 5th 05 05:26 PM