Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Woodpeckers isn't alone.

On 12/09/2016 3:30 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/9/2016 2:13 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

The better someone is at something, the less stuff they need to do it.

That statement is probably true but the person that is good at something
rarely does so with out a lot of experimentation on the best ways and
tools to use.

"Need", I'd grant. I'd note that if one will observe the shops of the
truly talented, as a rule the number of specialized tools is
tremendously expanded over that of the even practiced weekender. OTOH,
the amateur is far more likely to have gathered many more power gadgets
in lieu of a myriad of hand planes, specialized chisels and handsaws,
etc., etc., etc., ...

I don't recall the particular individual now, but one of the recognized
professionals had tour of shop published in FWW a number of years ago.
His collection of hand planes that he actively used routinely was about
150--they were stored in a cubby-hole arrangement along one wall of the
shop by size and shape of sole as he used. He had a number that were of
extreme vintage plus those purchased as well as many that he had made
for himself.