Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Woodpeckers

I have a woodpecker who has taken a likening to the cedar siding on the
house. Any suggestions before he puts TOO big of a hole in the siding.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 15, 5:56*pm, Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have a woodpecker who has taken a likening to the cedar siding on the
house. Any suggestions before he puts TOO big of a hole in the siding.

Some kind of birdscarer? Dangling DVD/CD twinkles and frightens birds
(for a while anyway)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 12:56:00 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

I have a woodpecker who has taken a likening to the cedar siding on the
house. Any suggestions before he puts TOO big of a hole in the siding.

How about an attack spider? (LOL)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14nmlZ0gpC4&feature=player_embedded
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman writes:

I have a woodpecker who has taken a likening to the cedar siding on the
house. Any suggestions before he puts TOO big of a hole in the siding.

Most likely he is after carpenter bees.

That's what happened to me.

If you find half inch sized holes in the siding there's a bee larva in
there and the wood pecker is after it.

I tried to deal with the problem with bug spray. I don't know
if it worked because there was enough damage that I had the whole
house sided with vinyl and all the exposed wood covered with
aluminum. No woodpeckers since.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-10-15, wrote:

aluminum. No woodpeckers since.

Don't let your guard down quite yet. We had a whacky wookpecker
hammer away on our alum TV antenna mast for 3 wks before finally
packing it in.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

Where I am most houses use vinyl siding, The woodpeckers bang away on them.
I've heard that they use the noise as a mating call.

cb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-10-15, Charlie wrote:
Where I am most houses use vinyl siding, The woodpeckers bang away on them.
I've heard that they use the noise as a mating call.

The species we have here in CO would die out, if that were the case.
CO has no native hardwoods, but plenty of woodpeckers. I've NEVER
heard a single one. There's one that constantly hammers away on the
tree jes outside my window, but he makes no noise I can hear. I can
only assume it's due to the softwood trees we have. When I lived in
CA, you could hear woodpeckers hammering away on oaks and/or oak fence
posts, fer miles. shrug

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

notbob wrote:

Don't let your guard down quite yet. We had a whacky wookpecker
hammer away on our alum TV antenna mast for 3 wks before finally
packing it in.

I've never seen an aluminum TV mast. Only steel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-10-15, Home Guy wrote:

I've never seen an aluminum TV mast.

You need to get away from home, guy.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a woodpecker who has taken a likening to the cedar siding on the
house. Any suggestions before he puts TOO big of a hole in the siding.

How about an attack spider? (LOL)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14nmlZ0gpC4&feature=player_embedded

Nice! That will do the job!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-10-15, wrote:
Where I am most houses use vinyl siding, The woodpeckers bang away on them.
I've heard that they use the noise as a mating call.

The species we have here in CO would die out, if that were the case.
CO has no native hardwoods, but plenty of woodpeckers. I've NEVER
heard a single one. There's one that constantly hammers away on the
tree jes outside my window, but he makes no noise I can hear. I can
only assume it's due to the softwood trees we have. When I lived in
CA, you could hear woodpeckers hammering away on oaks and/or oak fence
posts, fer miles.shrug

nb

Here we have some little ones and lots of BIG ones up to 18 inches long.
I sure am glad they don't attack the house! I see and hear them every
day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pileated_Woodpecker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/15/2011 11:56 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have a woodpecker...

T. M. I.

-Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

At least the whole person isn't a peckerwood.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...erm=peckerwood

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
On 10/15/2011 11:56 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have a woodpecker...

T. M. I.

-Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a woodpecker who has taken a likening to the cedar siding on
the house. Any suggestions before he puts TOO big of a hole in the
siding.

How about an attack spider? (LOL)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14nmlZ0gpC4&feature=player_embedded

Brilliant!

Patch the hole, and tape or tack some sheet metal over it until he gives up will
work too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a woodpecker who has taken a likening to the cedar siding on
the house. Any suggestions before he puts TOO big of a hole in the
siding.

How about an attack spider? (LOL)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14nmlZ0gpC4&feature=player_embedded

Brilliant!

Patch the hole, and tape or tack some sheet metal over it until he gives up will
work too.

Nothing short of a 12-gauge or Hardie-Panel will work, based on my
recent experience.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2324231397071&set=a.2205217621801.2 122105.1588220333&type=1&theater

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a woodpecker who has taken a likening to the cedar siding on
the house. Any suggestions before he puts TOO big of a hole in the
siding.

How about an attack spider? (LOL)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14nmlZ0gpC4&feature=player_embedded

Brilliant!

Patch the hole, and tape or tack some sheet metal over it until he gives up
will
work too.

Nothing short of a 12-gauge or Hardie-Panel will work, based on my
recent experience.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...7621801.2 122
105.1588220333&type=1&theater

I was reading some stuff from the Cooperative Extension and according to
them woodpeckers are a protected species and if nothing else works you
have to apply for permit to knock the little sucker off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 08:31:04 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

At least the whole person isn't a peckerwood.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...erm=peckerwood

Do not believe what all you read on that site.

I spent years supervising staff and inmates.

AB & SK (Arian brotherhood - skin heads).

Never a mention of pecker wood!

Even under the mafia, peckerwood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/15/2011 1:32 PM, Charlie wrote:
Where I am most houses use vinyl siding, The woodpeckers bang away on them.
I've heard that they use the noise as a mating call.

If I banged on my pecker with a piece of wood, there's no telling what
sort of animal would be attracted by the sound I would make. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, there was homo erectus, and later
homo sapiens.

In your case, you'd attract homo sadist.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...

If I banged on my pecker with a piece of wood,
there's no telling what sort of animal would be
attracted by the sound I would make. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

At least the whole person isn't a peckerwood.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...erm=peckerwood

Do not believe what all you read on that site.

The first definition has 689 "up" votes and 130 "down" votes.

The site is merely telling you how people voted about the
definitions.

I spent years supervising staff and inmates.
AB & SK (Arian brotherhood - skin heads).

Are you saying definition 3 is inaccurate or do you like 7 more?

I think the Urban Dictionary is a great source.
Anybody can post a definition.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
m...
I have a woodpecker who has taken a likening to the cedar siding on the
house. Any suggestions before he puts TOO big of a hole in the siding.

I have heard that dangling old cd's will repel birds. Now, that's not a
permanent solution, but it might just get this one to find a new home. I
have seen fruit trees with them hanging, and there isn't a bird within
sight.

I would imagine you could find some old cds, or even purchase some reeeeealy
cheap ones at the store and give it a go.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.groworganic.com/bird-scar...-500-roll.html

Google "Bird Scare Tape" for other sizes, costs.

Sonny
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/2011 8:28 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Well, there was homo erectus, and later
homo sapiens.

In your case, you'd attract homo sadist.

Oooo get him girls! *in my best queer voice*

It would be like the fight scene at the end of Blazing Saddles. ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwwWuf9dn1Q

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

I would imagine you could find some old cds, or even purchase some reeeeealy
cheap ones at the store and give it a go.

Steve

Now that I finally have a use for all those things AOL mailed to
me...