Posted to alt.home.repair
notbob notbob is offline

Default Woodpeckers

On 2011-10-15, Charlie wrote:
Where I am most houses use vinyl siding, The woodpeckers bang away on them.
I've heard that they use the noise as a mating call.

The species we have here in CO would die out, if that were the case.
CO has no native hardwoods, but plenty of woodpeckers. I've NEVER
heard a single one. There's one that constantly hammers away on the
tree jes outside my window, but he makes no noise I can hear. I can
only assume it's due to the softwood trees we have. When I lived in
CA, you could hear woodpeckers hammering away on oaks and/or oak fence
posts, fer miles. shrug

nb