Posted to alt.consumers.pest-control,alt.home.repair

Default Woodpeckers

Almost a month ago, woodpeckers began pecking holes into a section of wood
trim on gable end of the building, that was treated for Carpenter Bees
earlier in the spring. I contacted the condo management. They say they put
in work orders but haven't done anything about it yet, and I emailed them
again earlier this week and they said they would follow up about the work
orders..

In the mean time I am wondering what needs to be done other than
caulking/sealing the existing holes?

So far they've made a few nasty holes in the wood trim. I would try to
scare them away by making noise when there was activity and they would
leave, but they would usually keep coming back. However, they haven't been
back in a couple of weeks.

Should they be replacing the wood or could they put a sheet of vinyl or
aluminum over it to protect it?

When they treated for Carpenter Bees, they dusted, and put a piece of metal
screen over the gap behind the wood trim. The screen is stapled to bottom
of the wood trim, and also to the topmost section of the siding so that they
can't get into the gap between the front of the siding and the back of the
wood trim.

BTW, could the metal screen there attract lightening in an electrical storm?

Thanks,

J.

Posted to alt.consumers.pest-control,alt.home.repair

on 8/9/2007 4:41 PM said the following:
[...]

Yes, if there is a wire going down to the ground and attached to a metal
rod driven into the ground.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.consumers.pest-control,alt.home.repair

In my opinion , wood as an exterior covering should be - cracks caulked -
wood primer and painted . Attic vents hard ware cloth .
Wood , and stained wood , has no protection from weathering , cracking , and
bowing .