Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Make That Hole Bigger!

The subject was brought up recently, so I thought I'd show how I do it.
You have a drilled hole that is too small. You can't just put a bigger
sized Forstner or spade bit it the hole because it has nowhere to
center. Here's the solution!

http://youtu.be/DeKCCsgX-II

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/22/2014 5:50 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
The subject was brought up recently, so I thought I'd show how I do it.
You have a drilled hole that is too small. You can't just put a bigger
sized Forstner or spade bit it the hole because it has nowhere to
center. Here's the solution!

http://youtu.be/DeKCCsgX-II

Step Drill.

But you can drill a hole bigger with a true Forstner bit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/22/14 7:15 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/22/2014 5:50 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
The subject was brought up recently, so I thought I'd show how I do it.
You have a drilled hole that is too small. You can't just put a bigger
sized Forstner or spade bit it the hole because it has nowhere to
center. Here's the solution!

http://youtu.be/DeKCCsgX-II

Step Drill.

But you can drill a hole bigger with a true Forstner bit.

'splain, por favor.
Go a picture?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote:

The subject was brought up recently, so I thought I'd show how I do
it.
You have a drilled hole that is too small. You can't just put a
bigger
sized Forstner or spade bit it the hole because it has nowhere to
center. Here's the solution!

http://youtu.be/DeKCCsgX-II

---------------------------------------
Plug the hole with epoxy fairing putty, polyester Bondo, wood putty,
or whatever you have handy.

When cured, sand flush and layout correct size hole.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/22/14 7:45 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"-MIKE-" wrote:

The subject was brought up recently, so I thought I'd show how I do
it.
You have a drilled hole that is too small. You can't just put a
bigger
sized Forstner or spade bit it the hole because it has nowhere to
center. Here's the solution!

http://youtu.be/DeKCCsgX-II

---------------------------------------
Plug the hole with epoxy fairing putty, polyester Bondo, wood putty,
or whatever you have handy.

When cured, sand flush and layout correct size hole.

Lew

Yeah, because that's a lot easier.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
The subject was brought up recently, so I thought I'd show how I do it.
You have a drilled hole that is too small. You can't just put a bigger
sized Forstner or spade bit it the hole because it has nowhere to
center. Here's the solution!

http://youtu.be/DeKCCsgX-II

Take a correct size forstner bit and drill a hole in a 3/8 or 1/2"
piece of scrap. Center this hole over the original smaller hole and
clamp in place. Using this as a guide drill out the smaller hole with
the forstner bit.

This is for when you have forstner bits but no Harbor Freight within
30 miles (as I am).

--
 GW Ross

 You have two choices for dinner: Take
 it or Leave it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/22/14 8:08 PM, G. Ross wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
The subject was brought up recently, so I thought I'd show how I do
it. You have a drilled hole that is too small. You can't just put
a bigger sized Forstner or spade bit it the hole because it has
nowhere to center. Here's the solution!

http://youtu.be/DeKCCsgX-II

Take a correct size forstner bit and drill a hole in a 3/8 or 1/2"
piece of scrap. Center this hole over the original smaller hole and
clamp in place. Using this as a guide drill out the smaller hole
with the forstner bit.

This is for when you have forstner bits but no Harbor Freight within
30 miles (as I am).

I do realize there are other ways to do this and I've offered several of
them in the past.
Next time you're at a HF, I encourage you to pick up a set of these bits
because there are many, many other uses for them. They make nice, clean
cuts in metal and the HF ones are sharper than I thought they would be.

If you watched the video, you saw how ridiculously fast this is.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 19:38:58 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 12/22/14 7:15 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/22/2014 5:50 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
The subject was brought up recently, so I thought I'd show how I do it.
You have a drilled hole that is too small. You can't just put a bigger
sized Forstner or spade bit it the hole because it has nowhere to
center. Here's the solution!

http://youtu.be/DeKCCsgX-II

Step Drill.

But you can drill a hole bigger with a true Forstner bit.

'splain, por favor.
Go a picture?

Simple. Drill the desired larger hole size in a piece of scrap. Clamp
the piece of scrap with the larger hole where you want it. You could
even adjust the location slightly if you screwed that up too. Then, as
they say in some parts of the world, "Bob's your uncle," what ever
that means.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 12/22/14 7:15 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/22/2014 5:50 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
The subject was brought up recently, so I thought I'd show how I do it.
You have a drilled hole that is too small. You can't just put a bigger
sized Forstner or spade bit it the hole because it has nowhere to
center. Here's the solution!

http://youtu.be/DeKCCsgX-II

Step Drill.

But you can drill a hole bigger with a true Forstner bit.

'splain, por favor.
Go a picture?

Simple. Drill the desired larger hole size in a piece of scrap. Clamp
the piece of scrap with the larger hole where you want it. You could
even adjust the location slightly if you screwed that up too. Then, as
they say in some parts of the world, "Bob's your uncle," what ever
that means.

Got it, bought the t-shirt and have done it a dozen times.
I'm asking Leon what a "true Forstner bit" is.
Maybe I misunderstand and he's just saying to do what you said.
In that case, see above comment. :-)

My technique is faster than it takes to find a scrap piece of wood.
I think no shop is complete without a set of step bits, though, so I'm
biased.
Harbor Freight for 13 bucks, or Festool for 800. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/22/2014 7:38 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 12/22/14 7:15 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/22/2014 5:50 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
The subject was brought up recently, so I thought I'd show how I do it.
You have a drilled hole that is too small. You can't just put a bigger
sized Forstner or spade bit it the hole because it has nowhere to
center. Here's the solution!

http://youtu.be/DeKCCsgX-II

Step Drill.

But you can drill a hole bigger with a true Forstner bit.

'splain, por favor.
Go a picture?

A true and well made forstner bit is capable of cutting a cove/scallop
out of the edge of a board. It does not use a center point to guide it,
the edges guide it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 12/22/14 7:15 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Your way would be quicker if it is a through hole or you didn't need a
flat bottom. However, if you need a hole of a specified depth less
than the height of the step drill bit, or if you need a hole diameter
larger than your step drill bit then you start diggin' in the scrap
pile. :-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 12/22/14 7:15 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Mount a forstner in a DP and drill a hole. Remove the bit replace with
a larger forstner bit and drill over the previous hole. No scrap needed
to guide the bit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/22/14 7:15 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/22/2014 5:50 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
The subject was brought up recently, so I thought I'd show how
I do it. You have a drilled hole that is too small. You can't
just put a bigger sized Forstner or spade bit it the hole
because it has nowhere to center. Here's the solution!

http://youtu.be/DeKCCsgX-II

Step Drill.

But you can drill a hole bigger with a true Forstner bit.

'splain, por favor. Go a picture?

A true and well made forstner bit is capable of cutting a
cove/scallop out of the edge of a board. It does not use a center
point to guide it, the edges guide it.

I think I know what you're talking about. I have some Forstners that
are basically circular knives that slice around the circumference and
I've actually done what you describe... but it took a very steady hand.
:-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 12/22/14 7:15 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Correct. I never said this was *the* way to do it.
It is the fastest and easiest for that kind of hole, however.
I should've known what I was getting into posting in this group. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 12/22/14 7:15 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Yep, assuming you take your drill press to the job site. :-p

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 22:05:10 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

Correct. I never said this was *the* way to do it.
It is the fastest and easiest for that kind of hole, however.
I should've known what I was getting into posting in this group. :-)

Whachu talkin' about, Willis!?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/22/14 7:15 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/22/2014 5:50 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
The subject was brought up recently, so I thought I'd show how
I do it. You have a drilled hole that is too small. You can't
just put a bigger sized Forstner or spade bit it the hole
because it has nowhere to center. Here's the solution!

http://youtu.be/DeKCCsgX-II

Step Drill.

But you can drill a hole bigger with a true Forstner bit.

'splain, por favor. Go a picture?

A true and well made forstner bit is capable of cutting a
cove/scallop out of the edge of a board. It does not use a center
point to guide it, the edges guide it.

I think I know what you're talking about. I have some Forstners that
are basically circular knives that slice around the circumference and
I've actually done what you describe... but it took a very steady hand.
:-)

The better the bit and using a DP the easier this is to do.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 12/22/14 7:15 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Yeah! I try to never use a forstner bit in a hand held drill.

But additionally I have done the same "ONLY" with "Colt 5 Star Brad
Point bits". These particular bits are phenomenal. The 1/4" and larger
will drill and exit a board as cleanly as it/they went in with no back
up board.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 20:13:56 -0600
-MIKE- wrote:

Next time you're at a HF, I encourage you to pick up a set of these
bits because there are many, many other uses for them. They make
nice, clean cuts in metal and the HF ones are sharper than I thought
they would be.

For some reason I've got one of these bits, no idea where or why.
I don't think it was from HF so seems they're sold by others too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gordon Shumway wrote in
:

Then, as
they say in some parts of the world, "Bob's your uncle," what ever
that means.

"Bob" is Robert Peel, British Prime Minister during Victoria's
reign, and thus the most powerful man in the world at that
time. Having him as an uncle would obviously make your life
easier :-)

Peel also invented the idea of a police force, which is why
British police are called "bobbies".

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Next time you're at a HF, I encourage you to pick up a set of
these bits because there are many, many other uses for them. They
make nice, clean cuts in metal and the HF ones are sharper than I
thought they would be.

For some reason I've got one of these bits, no idea where or why. I
don't think it was from HF so seems they're sold by others too.

They are sold by others, but are very expensive.

Like most HF copies of otherwise expensive tools, I thought these would
be lousy. But they are higher quality than I expected. You'll see them
a lot in the electrical and sheet metal industries where they after have
to enlarge holes in metal.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

They are sold by others, but are very expensive.

Like most HF copies of otherwise expensive tools, I thought these
would be lousy. But they are higher quality than I expected. You'll
see them a lot in the electrical and sheet metal industries where
they after have to enlarge holes in metal.

I use them often to create holes where there are no knock-outs in electrical
boxes. The work like a charm. They are so cheap that when I wear one out,
I just go get another. I've used them on sheet metal, on thicker steel - no
problem.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/23/14 1:05 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

They are sold by others, but are very expensive.

Like most HF copies of otherwise expensive tools, I thought these
would be lousy. But they are higher quality than I expected.
You'll see them a lot in the electrical and sheet metal industries
where they after have to enlarge holes in metal.

I use them often to create holes where there are no knock-outs in
electrical boxes. The work like a charm. They are so cheap that
when I wear one out, I just go get another. I've used them on sheet
metal, on thicker steel - no problem.

I bought mine to enlarge some holes in the frame of our Honda Element
for the trailer hitch. Cut like butta.

I had used them a lot in previous employment and missed having them
around.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 19:38:58 -0600, -MIKE- wrote:

But you can drill a hole bigger with a true Forstner bit.

'splain, por favor.
Go a picture?

Forstner bits are edge guided, there's no centering point. OK?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/23/2014 10:31 AM, John McCoy wrote:
Gordon Shumway wrote in
:

Then, as
they say in some parts of the world, "Bob's your uncle," what ever
that means.

"Bob" is Robert Peel, British Prime Minister during Victoria's
reign, and thus the most powerful man in the world at that
time. Having him as an uncle would obviously make your life
easier :-)

Peel also invented the idea of a police force, which is why
British police are called "bobbies".

John

Any chance he was Emma Peel's granddad?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/23/14 6:24 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 19:38:58 -0600, -MIKE- wrote:

But you can drill a hole bigger with a true Forstner bit.

'splain, por favor.
Go a picture?

Forstner bits are edge guided, there's no centering point. OK?

He already explained his comment.
Most Forstners have center points.
I had to look pretty hard to find some that didn't.
Maybe they started out without a center, but seems like 90% have them
today.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/23/2014 7:30 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 12/23/14 6:24 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 19:38:58 -0600, -MIKE- wrote:

But you can drill a hole bigger with a true Forstner bit.

'splain, por favor.
Go a picture?

Internet searches are your friend.
https://www.google.com/search?q=fors... =0CAcQ_AUoAg

Forstner bits are edge guided, there's no centering point. OK?

He already explained his comment.
Most Forstners have center points.
I had to look pretty hard to find some that didn't.
Maybe they started out without a center, but seems like 90% have them
today.

Both descriptions are correct. A Forsner bit does have a centering
point. It is very useful to position the bit at a hole's center point.
But a Forstner bit is also edge guided, which makes it fairly easy to
enlarge a hole with the next size bit.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...a+forstner+bit
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/24/14 2:02 AM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 12/23/2014 7:30 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 12/23/14 6:24 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 19:38:58 -0600, -MIKE- wrote:

But you can drill a hole bigger with a true Forstner bit.

'splain, por favor.
Go a picture?

Internet searches are your friend.
https://www.google.com/search?q=fors... =0CAcQ_AUoAg

You guys need to read the entire thread before commenting.
None of those bits pictured are the ones he's talking about.

Forstner bits are edge guided, there's no centering point. OK?

He already explained his comment.
Most Forstners have center points.
I had to look pretty hard to find some that didn't.
Maybe they started out without a center, but seems like 90% have them
today.

Both descriptions are correct. A Forsner bit does have a centering
point. It is very useful to position the bit at a hole's center point.
But a Forstner bit is also edge guided, which makes it fairly easy to
enlarge a hole with the next size bit.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...a+forstner+bit

Not without a drill press, it's not. Hence the technique shown in my
video.
Again, please read the whole thread before replying.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 23 Dec 2014 20:47:16 -0500, Larry Kraus wrote:

Peel also invented the idea of a police force, which is why British
police are called "bobbies".

or peelers.

Any chance he was Emma Peel's granddad?

Now there's a woman (Diana Rigg) I'd hoped would never get old. But she
did age gracefully - at 60 she still looked pretty good!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/24/2014 9:12 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 12/24/14 2:02 AM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 12/23/2014 7:30 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 12/23/14 6:24 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 19:38:58 -0600, -MIKE- wrote:

But you can drill a hole bigger with a true Forstner bit.

'splain, por favor.
Go a picture?

Internet searches are your friend.
https://www.google.com/search?q=fors... =0CAcQ_AUoAg

You guys need to read the entire thread before commenting.
None of those bits pictured are the ones he's talking about.

I don't know if you're right or wrong, and I don't have time to read
back through every thread. But right or wrong, you're a jerk.

Forstner bits are edge guided, there's no centering point. OK?

He already explained his comment.
Most Forstners have center points.
I had to look pretty hard to find some that didn't.
Maybe they started out without a center, but seems like 90% have them
today.

Both descriptions are correct. A Forsner bit does have a centering
point. It is very useful to position the bit at a hole's center point.
But a Forstner bit is also edge guided, which makes it fairly easy to
enlarge a hole with the next size bit.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...a+forstner+bit

Not without a drill press, it's not. Hence the technique shown in my
video.
Again, please read the whole thread before replying.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, December 25, 2014 12:25:49 AM UTC-6, Just Wondering wrote:

You guys need to read the entire thread before commenting.
None of those bits pictured are the ones he's talking about.

I don't know if you're right or wrong, and I don't have time to read
back through every thread. But right or wrong, you're a jerk.

Perhaps if you read the entire thread (what... too important to read 10 entries?) you would see the context of the comment.

Not without a drill press, it's not. Hence the technique shown in my
video.
Again, please read the whole thread before replying.

OK, MIKE... you wrote that... so shame on you for trying to politely keep this thread on track. Shame... go have a beer and think about what you have done.

I think I will too!

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 26 Dec 2014 13:00:19 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Thursday, December 25, 2014 12:25:49 AM UTC-6, Just Wondering wrote:

You guys need to read the entire thread before commenting.
None of those bits pictured are the ones he's talking about.

I don't know if you're right or wrong, and I don't have time to read
back through every thread. But right or wrong, you're a jerk.

Perhaps if you read the entire thread (what... too important to read 10 entries?) you would see the context of the comment.

No, he's not too important -- just too lazy. Additionally he clearly
doesn't care about knowing all the facts. What does that tell you?

He's a Democrat.

Not without a drill press, it's not. Hence the technique shown in my
video.
Again, please read the whole thread before replying.

OK, MIKE... you wrote that... so shame on you for trying to politely keep this thread on track. Shame... go have a beer and think about what you have done.

I think I will too!

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 23 Dec 2014 10:36:54 -0600
-MIKE- wrote:

Like most HF copies of otherwise expensive tools, I thought these
would be lousy. But they are higher quality than I expected. You'll
see them a lot in the electrical and sheet metal industries where
they after have to enlarge holes in metal.

I finally used the one I've got. It says england on the shaft
I think it's sorby

Wow this is a great bit to have. I was covering some wood with
sheet metal and this let me get the size for bolts just right.
Understand now why the are called step bits

for a small vase I used this to make a tapered hole then a regular
bit to go further. I wanted to maintain the vase's weight at the
base.

I started paying attention to these on the store shelf and they
are very expensive
will check out HF bits for sure

I need a bigger hole PeterC UK diy 13 January 17th 14 05:49 PM
Ok to make a panel knockout bigger? stryped[_3_] Metalworking 15 December 7th 09 09:30 AM
How to make foundations bigger? compactpowerhouse UK diy 2 September 15th 08 10:29 PM
*** Get a Pen*s Bigger than King K0ng's! Get Bigger Bre@sts! Cool Toys! Cheap MP3 Players! *** oego1og Home Repair 1 January 13th 07 05:19 PM
Will A Bigger Air Handler Make Any Difference? Ron Home Repair 7 August 6th 04 01:32 PM