Ron

Default Will A Bigger Air Handler Make Any Difference?

Here's the deal. My house is 1500 sq ft (heated) In Jan of this yr I had
the outside unit of my heatpump replaced. They replaced it with a 2 1/2
ton unit. (I just discovered this 3 days ago) Well from what I've been
told in this group (and after several phone calls to different AC
companies) it should have been a 3 ton unit.

The unit had been working fine until a month ago when my girlfriend
moved in and we opened up a 225 sq ft rm that wasn't being used, NOW the
unit will not cool the house.

I looked at my paper work and it says that the unit was "sized" by sq
ft. I called the company yesterday and told them what was going on and
i was told that they replaced the unit with the same size unit that was
there.

Now that's pretty stupid since the house was built in '84 with a 2 1/2
ton unit and has since had a 225 sq ft room added on.

The guy tells me that it wouldn't matter if he had installed a 3 ton
unit because the air handler is only a 2 1/2 ton unit and it wouldn't
matter as far as cooling is concerned.

My reasoning is that THEY should have installed a 3 ton unit just
because of the sq ft of the house, regardless of what size the old unit
was....I even told the installer that my next step was to get a new air
handler because it was about to go. Wh

Now I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place and don't know what to do,
so here's my question. If I end up having to keep the 2 1/2 ton outside
unit, can I install a 3 ton air handler and will it keep a 1500 sq ft
house cool?

My only other option would be to install a window unit in the addition
and I really don't want to do that.

Thoughts-suggestions?

Art

I would ruin his day by calling the license board and filing a complaint.
In any case a larger air handler may squeeze more cooling out of the 2.5 ton
unit. Also if duct work is accessable, some is designed like a pretzel and
if you can have a guy look it over and remove excess ducting if it exists
that will help too and you will save money.

"Ron" wrote in message
[...]

m Ransley

Take a route that will save you winter and summer on utility bills for
maybe less than a new unit. Upgrade insulation and windows to modern
high efficiency. Are ducts insulated, Do you run the unit 24x7 or are
you just bitchin all the time.
If you had a 2.5 ton furnace it isnt the installers fault.
You dont even know if it is running anywhere near 100% correctly , yet
you blame everyone else . Get it checked out, and run it 24 hrs a day

profft

Go ahead and call it's, not going to be any swet unless the local
jurisdiction requires a manual-J be done on equipment replacements and you
had better hope the addition was done legally or your going to open a whole
can of worms for yourself.

He didn't have a Heatpump replaced in January because he had some extra
money just burning a hole in his pocket. He did it because his ODU died,
kaput. He needed it done right away and he got it right a way, period. It's
all well and good with the woulda/shoulda/could of's eight months down the
road, but the bottom line is he got what he paid for.
If your going to spout off at least try to read between the lines first.

link.net...

"Ron" wrote in message
[...]

TURTLE

"Ron" wrote in message
[...]

This is Turtle.

You can install a 3 ton air handler on the 2.5 ton condenser and still run fine
but you will not get a full 3 tons of cooling out of the 2.5 ton condenser. With
this combo you may be able to get 2.75 ton at best and be set up to go to a 3
ton if it is not enough.

Now to the 2.5 ton with a 3 ton air handler / Coil keeping up on a 1,500 sq. ft.
house. You guess is good as mine . The 2.5 ton condenser on the 3 ton air
handler will put out more than the 2.5 ton cond. on a 2.5 ton air handler but to
it being enough to cool it properly is up to let you do it and see.

Now one question here and I can maybe give you a ideal if what combonation will
work by you telling me in what state or part of the country you live in. Let me
know something here.

TURTLE

---

Ron

Turtle wrote:
Now one question here and I can maybe
give you a ideal if what combonation will
work by you telling me in what state or
part of the country you live in. Let me
know something here.

I live in Orlando, Fl.......LOL! I know I need a 3 ton condenser AN=D0
air handler and IMO the company should have installed a 3 ton unit
regardless of what size the OLD condenser was.....Like I said I told the
installer that the house was close to 1500 sq ft.

Also, another poster said something about the addition being legal. The
house was built in 84 the screened in "porch" which was an original part
of the house, was enclosed in either 88 or 89. So it's not really an
"addition" just an upgrade.

I just bought the house 2 yrs ago so this isn't something that is new,
it was just a big room that I had closed off until my g/f moved in last
month. I hadn't decided what to do with the room since i had bought the
house but now it is usable space.

TURTLE

"Ron" wrote in message
Turtle wrote:
Now one question here and I can maybe
give you a ideal if what combonation will
work by you telling me in what state or
part of the country you live in. Let me
know something here.

I live in Orlando, Fl.......LOL! I know I need a 3 ton condenser ANÐ
air handler and IMO the company should have installed a 3 ton unit
regardless of what size the OLD condenser was.....Like I said I told the
installer that the house was close to 1500 sq ft.

Also, another poster said something about the addition being legal. The
house was built in 84 the screened in "porch" which was an original part
of the house, was enclosed in either 88 or 89. So it's not really an
"addition" just an upgrade.

I just bought the house 2 yrs ago so this isn't something that is new,
it was just a big room that I had closed off until my g/f moved in last
month. I hadn't decided what to do with the room since i had bought the
house but now it is usable space.

This is Turtle.

Yea Fla. 2 1/2 ton --- LOL .

OK to be real here. You need min. 3 on a 1,500 sq. ft. in hot as hell part of
the country but I have seen 3 ton air handlers and a 2 1/2 ton condensers keep
up with the super heat set high and you do a little more insulation in the attic
and here and there. Also look at the attic ventilation to make sure your good
there too. You might look at a electric powered attic vent-o-lator. If you can
beef up the heat lost you just might get by with A/H 3 and Cond. 2.5 . If not
you have just about bought your way half way to the total 3 ton system anyway.

The reason I say this I have 2,250 sq. ft. home and doing it with a 3.5 ton
condenser and in South Louisiana and hot as hell here too. I have electric power
vent fans, R-60 insulation in the attic, and keep all the coils clean and system
run perfectly. I get by when it goes over 100ºF+ .

If you want to discuss it more. E-Mail me and we will talk. Address here is
good.

TURTLE

---

Travis Jordan

Ron wrote:
I live in Orlando, Fl.......LOL! I know I need a 3 ton condenser ANÐ
air handler and IMO the company should have installed a 3 ton unit
regardless of what size the OLD condenser was.....Like I said I told
the installer that the house was close to 1500 sq ft.

Sizing by square feet isn't good enough. You should have used a sizing
chart.

http://www.hvac-calc.com/hvac/sizer.asp