TURTLE

Default Will A Bigger Air Handler Make Any Difference?

"Ron" wrote in message
Here's the deal. My house is 1500 sq ft (heated) In Jan of this yr I had
the outside unit of my heatpump replaced. They replaced it with a 2 1/2
ton unit. (I just discovered this 3 days ago) Well from what I've been
told in this group (and after several phone calls to different AC
companies) it should have been a 3 ton unit.

The unit had been working fine until a month ago when my girlfriend
moved in and we opened up a 225 sq ft rm that wasn't being used, NOW the
unit will not cool the house.

I looked at my paper work and it says that the unit was "sized" by sq
ft. I called the company yesterday and told them what was going on and
i was told that they replaced the unit with the same size unit that was
there.

Now that's pretty stupid since the house was built in '84 with a 2 1/2
ton unit and has since had a 225 sq ft room added on.

The guy tells me that it wouldn't matter if he had installed a 3 ton
unit because the air handler is only a 2 1/2 ton unit and it wouldn't
matter as far as cooling is concerned.

My reasoning is that THEY should have installed a 3 ton unit just
because of the sq ft of the house, regardless of what size the old unit
was....I even told the installer that my next step was to get a new air
handler because it was about to go. Wh

Now I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place and don't know what to do,
so here's my question. If I end up having to keep the 2 1/2 ton outside
unit, can I install a 3 ton air handler and will it keep a 1500 sq ft
house cool?

My only other option would be to install a window unit in the addition
and I really don't want to do that.

Thoughts-suggestions?

This is Turtle.

You can install a 3 ton air handler on the 2.5 ton condenser and still run fine
but you will not get a full 3 tons of cooling out of the 2.5 ton condenser. With
this combo you may be able to get 2.75 ton at best and be set up to go to a 3
ton if it is not enough.

Now to the 2.5 ton with a 3 ton air handler / Coil keeping up on a 1,500 sq. ft.
house. You guess is good as mine . The 2.5 ton condenser on the 3 ton air
handler will put out more than the 2.5 ton cond. on a 2.5 ton air handler but to
it being enough to cool it properly is up to let you do it and see.

Now one question here and I can maybe give you a ideal if what combonation will
work by you telling me in what state or part of the country you live in. Let me
know something here.

TURTLE

---