Posted to rec.woodworking
Gordon Shumway Gordon Shumway is offline

Default Make That Hole Bigger!

On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 20:28:02 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 12/22/14 8:21 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 19:38:58 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 12/22/14 7:15 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/22/2014 5:50 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
The subject was brought up recently, so I thought I'd show how I do it.
You have a drilled hole that is too small. You can't just put a bigger
sized Forstner or spade bit it the hole because it has nowhere to
center. Here's the solution!

http://youtu.be/DeKCCsgX-II

Step Drill.

But you can drill a hole bigger with a true Forstner bit.

'splain, por favor.
Go a picture?

Simple. Drill the desired larger hole size in a piece of scrap. Clamp
the piece of scrap with the larger hole where you want it. You could
even adjust the location slightly if you screwed that up too. Then, as
they say in some parts of the world, "Bob's your uncle," what ever
that means.

Got it, bought the t-shirt and have done it a dozen times.
I'm asking Leon what a "true Forstner bit" is.
Maybe I misunderstand and he's just saying to do what you said.
In that case, see above comment. :-)

My technique is faster than it takes to find a scrap piece of wood.
I think no shop is complete without a set of step bits, though, so I'm
biased.
Harbor Freight for 13 bucks, or Festool for 800. :-)

Your way would be quicker if it is a through hole or you didn't need a
flat bottom. However, if you need a hole of a specified depth less
than the height of the step drill bit, or if you need a hole diameter
larger than your step drill bit then you start diggin' in the scrap
pile. :-)