Posted to rec.woodworking
Just Wondering Just Wondering is offline

Default Make That Hole Bigger!

On 12/24/2014 9:12 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 12/24/14 2:02 AM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 12/23/2014 7:30 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 12/23/14 6:24 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 19:38:58 -0600, -MIKE- wrote:

But you can drill a hole bigger with a true Forstner bit.

'splain, por favor.
Go a picture?

Internet searches are your friend.
https://www.google.com/search?q=fors... =0CAcQ_AUoAg

You guys need to read the entire thread before commenting.
None of those bits pictured are the ones he's talking about.

I don't know if you're right or wrong, and I don't have time to read
back through every thread. But right or wrong, you're a jerk.

Forstner bits are edge guided, there's no centering point. OK?

He already explained his comment.
Most Forstners have center points.
I had to look pretty hard to find some that didn't.
Maybe they started out without a center, but seems like 90% have them
today.

Both descriptions are correct. A Forsner bit does have a centering
point. It is very useful to position the bit at a hole's center point.
But a Forstner bit is also edge guided, which makes it fairly easy to
enlarge a hole with the next size bit.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...a+forstner+bit

Not without a drill press, it's not. Hence the technique shown in my
video.
Again, please read the whole thread before replying.