Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 2x12 ramp

I need to load a riding mower onto the bed of my truck. Considering using 2x12s for the ramps, braced at the midpoint. Can they handle this?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/20/2014 12:33 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
I need to load a riding mower onto the bed of my truck. Considering using 2x12s for the ramps, braced at the midpoint. Can they handle this?

yes, braced in the middle, assuming a 500lb unit + 200 lb man.

But it wouldn't hurt to put a 2x4 underneath in a T position to add some
strength. glue and screw it. The 2x4 doesn't have to goto the end, so it
can sit , but it should be most of the length.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/20/2014 12:33 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
I need to load a riding mower onto the bed of my truck. Considering using 2x12s for the ramps, braced at the midpoint. Can they handle this?

How long will the span be? Well it be from the truck to level ground,
or are you planning to do it from a hill or ditch on your property? The
hill/ditch could be a significantly shorter span.

What is the size of the tractor.

With a 2X4 on end, bolted under the 2X10, extending most of the length
of the ramp, I would think it could support most lawn type tractors.

A 2x10 will support two people (500 pounds)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramps' shop" wrote in
:

I need to load a riding mower onto the bed of my truck. Considering
using 2x12s for the ramps, braced at the midpoint. Can they handle
this?

With 2x4s under them as another poster suggested, I'd figure they'd work
just fine.

As a backup plan, Harbor Freight has a couple aluminum ramps for around
$50. They're rated for 1000 lbs and handled my 4 wheeler just fine, but
they are rather short.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/20/2014 11:33 AM, Gramps' shop wrote:
I need to load a riding mower onto the bed of my truck. Considering using 2x12s for the ramps, braced at the midpoint. Can they handle this?

I used to load a John Deere 318 this way all the time with me riding it
up. I attached an "L" bracket on the end of each 2x12, to lock in
between the tailgate and the bed, to prevent them from falling.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/20/2014 11:43 AM, woodchucker wrote:
On 5/20/2014 12:33 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
I need to load a riding mower onto the bed of my truck. Considering
using 2x12s for the ramps, braced at the midpoint. Can they handle this?

yes, braced in the middle, assuming a 500lb unit + 200 lb man.

But it wouldn't hurt to put a 2x4 underneath in a T position to add some
strength. glue and screw it. The 2x4 doesn't have to goto the end, so it
can sit , but it should be most of the length.

The 2x12's by them selves will be plenty.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 20 May 2014 09:33:32 -0700 (PDT), "Gramps' shop"
wrote:

I need to load a riding mower onto the bed of my truck. Considering using 2x12s for the ramps, braced at the midpoint. Can they handle this?

It will work, but just a comment. If it is a one time deal to a
repair shop, OK, If it is a frequent thing to take to other
properties, invest in a good set of ramps that will work better and
safer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramps' shop" wrote:

I need to load a riding mower onto the bed of my truck. Considering
using 2x12s for the ramps, braced at the midpoint. Can they handle
this?

How long are the 2x12s?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramps' shop" wrote in
:

Thanks, guys. I'm figuring 12-foot lengths to minimize the likelihood
of getting hung up on the mower deck. This is a one-time move. I
looked at the HF ramps and they look like a good price ... but their
shorter length will increase the odds of a hangup on the mower deck.

I've backed up to a steep hill to make up for the length of the ramps.
Eventually, I bought a pair that were much longer.

When you do this, make sure to have a spotter. Sometimes things shift as
the machine is loaded.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramps' shop" wrote:

I need to load a riding mower onto the bed of my truck. Considering

using 2x12s for the ramps, braced at the midpoint. Can they handle

this?

How long are the 2x12s?

Lew

I can tell you from experience that 12' may bow and defeat the advantage
of the longer length.. The 2x12 ramps that I used almost on a weekly
basis were 8' long.

If your deck floats it should easily ride over what ever it may come in
contact with, just like irregularities in the yard. Otherwise it should
be easy enough for some one to help lift should there be interference.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks, Leon. What are you doing on Saturday? :-)

If your deck floats it should easily ride over what ever it may come in

contact with, just like irregularities in the yard. Otherwise it should

be easy enough for some one to help lift should there be interference.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramps' shop wrote:

Thanks, guys. I'm figuring 12-foot lengths to minimize the
likelihood of getting hung up on the mower deck. This is a one-time
move. I looked at the HF ramps and they look like a good price ...
but their shorter length will increase the odds of a hangup on the
mower deck.

Oh don't be a chicken - just put her in high gear, wide open and let her
rip! Or - ease it up the ramps until the deck is just shy of the truck
gate, then rev her up and dump the clutch - pop a wheelie to get the deck
over the gate. Ya gotta learn how to think creatively...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/20/2014 5:29 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Thanks, guys. I'm figuring 12-foot lengths to minimize the likelihood of getting hung up on the mower deck. This is a one-time move. I looked at the HF ramps and they look like a good price ... but their shorter length will increase the odds of a hangup on the mower deck.

Since this is a one time use, you could get by with supports in the
middle of the 12 foot span of the 2X10.

These supports could be sturdy boxes, drums, etc. If you are a wood
worker and have left over 2X4 you could make a saw horse arrangement.

Remember as you are setting this thing up the truck will go down as the
load is transferred to the truck and this will cause movement against
the ramp. You do not want the supports to fall over as the truck moves.
Take a couple of minutes and view the vehicle loading failures an
Youtube. Enjoy but take note of what each does wrong.

As you are putting this together, remember, there are is one thing more
important than getting the tractor into the truck. Your goal is to
SAFELY get the tractor into the truck.

Per the computer magazines newsgroups are dying out, we don't want to
speed that process by loosing users to unnecessary accidents.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramps' shop" wrote:

Thanks, Leon. What are you doing on Saturday? :-)

I don't know about Leon, but I will be reminding myself
how nice to not have to screw around with yard maintenance
equipment any more.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I need to load a riding mower onto the bed of my truck. Considering using 2x12s for the ramps, braced at the midpoint. Can they handle this?

It will work, but just a comment. If it is a one time deal to a
repair shop, OK, If it is a frequent thing to take to other
properties, invest in a good set of ramps that will work better and
safer.

I use 2x8s about 6 feet long and a winch (instead of riding it). I
also have a couple of pieces of 2x6 to go under the wheels as it
enters the truck bed to lift it just enough that the deck doesn't
drag.

The metal ramps with a curve avoid the problem with deck drag, but I
only put the mower in the truck once or twice a year - not worth the
extra $$ for metal ramps. If it were a weekly event, I'd buy the
metal ramps.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Gramps' shop wrote:
I need to load a riding mower onto the bed of my truck. Considering
using 2x12s for the ramps, braced at the midpoint. Can they handle
this?

They will handle some mowers, and some mowers will be too heavy. I really
couldn't say about your mower...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/20/2014 7:49 PM, Larry W wrote:
In article ,
Gramps' shop wrote:
I need to load a riding mower onto the bed of my truck. Considering
using 2x12s for the ramps, braced at the midpoint. Can they handle
this?

They will handle some mowers, and some mowers will be too heavy. I really
couldn't say about your mower...

Agreed, not enough data for a solid answer.

That said, a 2x4 or even a 1x4 screwed into the edge of the 2x12 or
perpendicular to the bottom will greatly enhance the ramp's strength.

Finally, take it slow and easy and I suspect that you will see if you
HAVE a problem well before you're in any trouble.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I need to load a riding mower onto the bed of my truck. Considering using 2x12s for the ramps, braced at the midpoint. Can they handle this?

I've used 2x10s to load mine in a trailer. My truck bed is to high to
even think about doing this.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Unquestionably Confused wrote in
:

Agreed, not enough data for a solid answer.

That said, a 2x4 or even a 1x4 screwed into the edge of the 2x12 or
perpendicular to the bottom will greatly enhance the ramp's strength.

Finally, take it slow and easy and I suspect that you will see if you
HAVE a problem well before you're in any trouble.

For the effort required, I'd definitely attach the 2x4s to the bottom of
the 2x12s. I hate seeing ramps deflect under me, even if they will hold
the weight. It'd probably take me more time to gather the materials than
assemble the ramps.

My biggest concern would be the lip at the end of the 2x12. If loading
only, it won't be too much trouble. If unloading, that's one place the
rig could start to slip, and now you're on the edge and the ramp has gone
away.

If the OP lived nearby (I'm thinking he lives in one of the states with a
compass direction in its name?), I'd let him borrow my ramps.
Unfortunately, it'll probably cost more to ship than it would to buy new
ones.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Gramps' shop" wrote:

Thanks, Leon. What are you doing on Saturday? :-)

I don't know about Leon, but I will be reminding myself
how nice to not have to screw around with yard maintenance
equipment any more.

So... that explains a lot of your comments - though they may not be
inappropriate, the often do not reflect the things every day people have to
deal with.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:

For the effort required, I'd definitely attach the 2x4s to the bottom
of the 2x12s. I hate seeing ramps deflect under me, even if they
will hold the weight. It'd probably take me more time to gather the
materials than assemble the ramps.

My biggest concern would be the lip at the end of the 2x12. If
place the rig could start to slip, and now you're on the edge and the
ramp has gone away.

I largely agree, except that I suggest that a simple 1x4 would provide more
than enough strength under the 2x12. That would proivde 5" of support wihch
I believe is way more than the weight of a mower over that length would
require. I've run my Wheelhorse up simple 2x10 ramps multiple times - but
perhaps not at the same angle/distance discussed here. Mine are 8' in
length.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

I don't know about Leon, but I will be reminding myself
how nice to not have to screw around with yard maintenance
equipment any more.

-Mike-

So... that explains a lot of your comments - though they may not be
inappropriate, the often do not reflect the things every day people
have to deal with.

By your definition then people who live in condos or apartments
are not everyday people?

Interesting.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

So here's what I've decided to do: This mower is going to my son's cabin in northern Wisconsin, a trip of about 200 miles. I'll be there to load it, but he's on his own for unloading. With that in mind, I can rent a low riding open trailer for about $100. The trailer has ramps, so this should be a piece of cake.

Thanks, again, for all of you input.

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 21 May 2014 09:10:01 -0700 (PDT), "Gramps' shop"
wrote:

So here's what I've decided to do: This mower is going to my son's cabin in northern Wisconsin, a trip of about 200 miles. I'll be there to load it, but he's on his own for unloading. With that in mind, I can rent a low riding open trailer for about $100. The trailer has ramps, so this should be a piece of cake.

Thanks, again, for all of you input.

I just rent a trailer from U-Haul. One-way, they're less than
$20/day.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Mike Marlow
wrote:

Gramps' shop wrote:

Thanks, guys. I'm figuring 12-foot lengths to minimize the
likelihood of getting hung up on the mower deck. This is a one-time
move. I looked at the HF ramps and they look like a good price ...
but their shorter length will increase the odds of a hangup on the
mower deck.

Oh don't be a chicken - just put her in high gear, wide open and let her
rip! Or - ease it up the ramps until the deck is just shy of the truck
gate, then rev her up and dump the clutch - pop a wheelie to get the deck
over the gate. Ya gotta learn how to think creatively...

Do what Buddy did...

http://youtu.be/tLv0gEFkzkg

--
³Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness
sobered, but stupid lasts forever.² -- Aristophanes
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/20/2014 9:33 AM, Gramps' shop wrote:
I need to load a riding mower onto the bed of my truck. Considering using 2x12s for the ramps, braced at the midpoint. Can they handle this?

I have the same situation with an atv. I have a pair of atv ramps made
out of aluminum that I bought for another truck, then got a Dodge 2500
which has a substantially higher bed height. The ramps work, but I am
about at a 45 when going up them. They have transverse rods, so the
tires don't slip. Your two by's won't have anything to prevent side slip.

When loading and unloading, I look for a berm, or a hill, or somewhere I
can put the wheels in a recess to reduce the incline. For a riding
mower, I don't know what your torque or gear reduction is, but they are
made for going in a straight line, and not for climbing slopes. You may
have a problem getting it to climb a steep ramp.

If it was me, this is how I would do it: A lot is being said about this
and that, and I think some of the most important parts are being
ignored. I would put a side guide on each side if each board, like a
piece of flat bar that would keep the wheel from going off. I would put
some expanded metal on top of the board for traction. Or that non slip
stuff that comes in 4" wide pieces. Use contact cement to put it on. I
would put some type of hook type device, or chains to hold the tops of
the boards steady on whatever they will go on, either tailgate or bed.
A piece of reinforcement angle under the two by wouldn't hurt.

You are not going to find out how this will all work until you use them.
You will have wet tires, grass, water, and smooth wood. You will have
tires that have smooth surfaces, meant to treat grass kindly, and not to
climb. If you have any shift in the boards, or one of the wheels slides
to the side, you are going to be in a hairy spot with the mower half way
up the ramp. Getting off is going to be iffy, whether or not the
machine will stay on the ramps or crash to the ground. Mowers have
decks and all sorts things sticking out, not like atv's that have a lot
of clearance on them, so there are lots of things to grab hold of while
you are going up and down the ramps. You will have to do some tests to
make sure when you reach the breakover point that the deck and all will
not scrape on the tailgate edge.

You are loading a heavy machine on an incline. The traction is a
question. The stability is questionable.

With all said, the most important thing you can do in your loading and
unloading process is to look for a spot that will give you the least
angle for the boards. Make them as long as the bed of the truck,
utilizing length to reduce angle.

I have loaded atvs hundreds of times. Sometimes with factory ramps, and
sometimes with rocks we rounded up. We have had about a dozen times
when someone gets antsy, and drives them off the trailer with no ramps,
about an 18" drop, and they survived with all teeth and bones intact.
ATVs are meant to climb. We (I) have not had one come off a ramp yet,
but we use special aluminum ramps made for that or factory fold downs.
Have you considered buying a pair of industrially made ramps? About
$300 new, a lot less used.

If you will be using this regularly at a spot that you know is stable,
and you know how it will act, you could probably just get by with a
couple of two bys. If you are going to use it under a different set of
circumstances every time, you will need a good solid set of ramps that
will cover most any situation.

Be safe. If you get half way up that ramp that ramp, and things go
squiggly, you are going to be in a VERY dangerous spot. VERY. What you
are proposing is simple in principle, but then reality takes over, and
**** happens.

Let us know what you do and how you do it, so we can apply the
knowledge. And laugh at the funny stories, or maybe commiserate until
the casts come off.

Steve
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/20/2014 11:08 AM, Leon wrote:
On 5/20/2014 11:43 AM, woodchucker wrote:
On 5/20/2014 12:33 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
I need to load a riding mower onto the bed of my truck. Considering
using 2x12s for the ramps, braced at the midpoint. Can they handle
this?

yes, braced in the middle, assuming a 500lb unit + 200 lb man.

But it wouldn't hurt to put a 2x4 underneath in a T position to add some
strength. glue and screw it. The 2x4 doesn't have to goto the end, so it
can sit , but it should be most of the length.

The 2x12's by them selves will be plenty.

Sure. What's the worst that could happen. Just slap a couple of two
bys up there and run it up.

Steve
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/21/2014 9:10 AM, Gramps' shop wrote:
So here's what I've decided to do: This mower is going to

my son's cabin in northern Wisconsin, a trip of about 200 miles.

I'll be there to load it, but he's on his own for unloading.

With that in mind, I can rent a low riding open trailer for about $100.

The trailer has ramps, so this should be a piece of cake.

Thanks, again, for all of you input.

Larry

I have a trailer that I'd SELL you for $150 that would handle it. If
you are going to use it regularly, watch for one and buy it. I put
WANTED ads in Craigslist and do just fine, finding things before people
put them on the market, or it's been stuck in the corner of the garage
and they just want to dump it cheap.

Steve
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/20/2014 9:33 AM, Gramps' shop wrote:
I need to load a riding mower onto the bed of my truck. Considering using 2x12s for the ramps, braced at the midpoint. Can they handle this?

Be sure to do some videos in case it gets funny.

Steve
Posted to rec.woodworking

SteveB wrote:
On 5/20/2014 11:08 AM, Leon wrote:
On 5/20/2014 11:43 AM, woodchucker wrote:
On 5/20/2014 12:33 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
I need to load a riding mower onto the bed of my truck. Considering
using 2x12s for the ramps, braced at the midpoint. Can they handle
this?

yes, braced in the middle, assuming a 500lb unit + 200 lb man.

But it wouldn't hurt to put a 2x4 underneath in a T position to add
some strength. glue and screw it. The 2x4 doesn't have to goto the
end, so it can sit , but it should be most of the length.

The 2x12's by them selves will be plenty.

Sure. What's the worst that could happen. Just slap a couple of two
bys up there and run it up.

Well, actually... although it is admitedly not as robust a solution as a
good set of aluminum ramps, two by's have been used for ages and actually
work very well. They do provide for more options for moments of excitement,
but they do work.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 22 May 2014 09:16:25 -0700, SteveB wrote:

On 5/21/2014 9:10 AM, Gramps' shop wrote:
So here's what I've decided to do: This mower is going to

my son's cabin in northern Wisconsin, a trip of about 200 miles.

I'll be there to load it, but he's on his own for unloading.

With that in mind, I can rent a low riding open trailer for about $100.

The trailer has ramps, so this should be a piece of cake.

Thanks, again, for all of you input.

Larry

I have a trailer that I'd SELL you for $150 that would handle it. If
you are going to use it regularly, watch for one and buy it. I put
WANTED ads in Craigslist and do just fine, finding things before people
put them on the market, or it's been stuck in the corner of the garage
and they just want to dump it cheap.

Harbor Fright has naked trailers for under $200. You do need to add
some sort of deck to them but that shouldn't be much of a problem for
anyone here.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/22/2014 1:47 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
SteveB wrote:
[...]

Yeah as I mentioned earlier I used 2 2x12's 8' long to load a John Deere
318 with 50" deck into my 79 GMC. It was plenty interesting how I got
the rig in with 48" between the wheel wells.

I hated removing the deck every trip.

I built a platform out of more 2x12's to raise the Tractor and deck
above the wheel wells and used those $50 car ramps to get it up there
from the tail gate. Basically after I ran out of 2x12 at the end of the
bed I immediately drove up on the ramps and on to the raised platform.

I did this routine for several years about 3~4 times monthly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've run my Wheelhorse up simple 2x10 ramps multiple times - but
perhaps not at the same angle/distance discussed here. Mine are 8' in
length.

You don't even really need ramps for a Wheelhorse -
... if you just spur it a little -
.. it will just jump up onto the trailer ! :-)
John T.

Ramp The Medway Handyman UK diy 20 July 3rd 08 10:59 PM
ramp PLL colin Electronic Schematics 4 September 13th 07 06:42 PM
RAMP J T Woodworking 0 August 17th 06 08:42 AM
2x12 with "crown" ? lp13-30 Home Repair 6 February 4th 06 06:41 PM
Boring 2x12 for pipe Peter Langevin Home Repair 0 December 22nd 04 10:19 PM