Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 2x12 ramp

On Thu, 22 May 2014 09:18:54 -0700, SteveB wrote:

On 5/20/2014 4:59 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 20 May 2014 16:47:57 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Tue, 20 May 2014 09:33:32 -0700 (PDT), "Gramps' shop"
wrote:

I need to load a riding mower onto the bed of my truck. Considering using 2x12s for the ramps, braced at the midpoint. Can they handle this?

It will work, but just a comment. If it is a one time deal to a
repair shop, OK, If it is a frequent thing to take to other
properties, invest in a good set of ramps that will work better and
safer.

I use 2x8s about 6 feet long and a winch (instead of riding it). I
also have a couple of pieces of 2x6 to go under the wheels as it
enters the truck bed to lift it just enough that the deck doesn't
drag.

The metal ramps with a curve avoid the problem with deck drag, but I
only put the mower in the truck once or twice a year - not worth the
extra $$ for metal ramps. If it were a weekly event, I'd buy the
metal ramps.

Two by's about six feet long would almost be a vertical approach on some
larger trucks.

Mine isn't "larger" (F150 RWD) but its bed is still ~4'. With a 6'
ramp it would be quite a climb. ;-)