Posted to rec.woodworking
knuttle knuttle is offline

Default 2x12 ramp

On 5/20/2014 5:29 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Thanks, guys. I'm figuring 12-foot lengths to minimize the likelihood of getting hung up on the mower deck. This is a one-time move. I looked at the HF ramps and they look like a good price ... but their shorter length will increase the odds of a hangup on the mower deck.

Since this is a one time use, you could get by with supports in the
middle of the 12 foot span of the 2X10.

These supports could be sturdy boxes, drums, etc. If you are a wood
worker and have left over 2X4 you could make a saw horse arrangement.

Remember as you are setting this thing up the truck will go down as the
load is transferred to the truck and this will cause movement against
the ramp. You do not want the supports to fall over as the truck moves.
Take a couple of minutes and view the vehicle loading failures an
Youtube. Enjoy but take note of what each does wrong.

As you are putting this together, remember, there are is one thing more
important than getting the tractor into the truck. Your goal is to
SAFELY get the tractor into the truck.

Per the computer magazines newsgroups are dying out, we don't want to
speed that process by loosing users to unnecessary accidents.