Posted to alt.home.repair
lp13-30

Default 2x12 with "crown" ?

I am building an addition with a 14x16 room upstairs. the floor joists
for upstairs are 16' 2x12s. The back wall of the upstairs is set in 2'
from the downstairs ouside wall, so that is the 14' side of the room.
Anyhow, one of the 2x12s has a crown of about 3/4", facing up. I just
noticed it today-- too late to change it or try to cut it down on top
and shim the bottom. The undersides of the joists are still open, so I
am wondering if I can possibly drill bout a 1/4" hole near the top of
the joist, in the center lengthwise, put a steel cable through it and
hang a couple of hundred pounds of weight from the cable to pull the
joist down. Think that will work? I will not be putting the ceiling
downstairs for quite a while, so it will not matter if it takes some
time to straighten out. Any comments or suggestions will be greatly
appreciated. Thanks Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair
BP

"lp13-30" wrote in message
I am building an addition with a 14x16 room upstairs. the floor joists
for upstairs are 16' 2x12s. The back wall of the upstairs is set in 2'
from the downstairs ouside wall, so that is the 14' side of the room.
Anyhow, one of the 2x12s has a crown of about 3/4", facing up. I just
noticed it today-- too late to change it or try to cut it down on top
and shim the bottom. The undersides of the joists are still open, so I
am wondering if I can possibly drill bout a 1/4" hole near the top of
the joist, in the center lengthwise, put a steel cable through it and
hang a couple of hundred pounds of weight from the cable to pull the
joist down. Think that will work? I will not be putting the ceiling
downstairs for quite a while, so it will not matter if it takes some
time to straighten out. Any comments or suggestions will be greatly
appreciated. Thanks Larry

Take a saw-zall and cut the joist in half at the point of the top of the
crown. You can go clean through top to bottom, or you can try and leave an
inch or so of meat at the top. You may need to jump on the floor top get the
crowned joist to "crack" (get into line). Now take a new, straight joist
(remove any bridging or blocking) and bang it in to sister the cut joist.
Nail the two together every 16" or so and you are done.
The crown is permanent and would get worse before it got better.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Wouldn't it be easier to just pull the nails with a cats paw, knock the
joist out and put in a new one?

"BP" wrote in message

"lp13-30" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
BP

Easier? No. That is a bear of a job, especially if the joist was glued. Most
of the first ply of sheathing comes out with it. From a task management
perspective it is at least double the work.
Try it once, then you'll know.

. ..

"BP" wrote in message

"lp13-30" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

I was mainly thinking about how hard it would be to get that crown out of
the existing one. Never thought about the glue.

"BP" wrote in message
Easier? No. That is a bear of a job, especially if the joist was glued.

Most
of the first ply of sheathing comes out with it. From a task management
perspective it is at least double the work.
Try it once, then you'll know.

. ..

"BP" wrote in message

"lp13-30" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT

"BP" wrote in message

"lp13-30" wrote in message
[...]

I have had to do this in the past, the crown was getting higher as the wood
dried out. I found it best to cut at the 1/3 points, that is 2 cuts per
length, this allows the flooring to flatten out better, otherwise you could
end up with two smaller crowns if you just cut it in half. Be sure that you
get the ends of the sister joist fitted over the support walls.