Posted to alt.home.repair
lp13-30

Default 2x12 with "crown" ?

I am building an addition with a 14x16 room upstairs. the floor joists
for upstairs are 16' 2x12s. The back wall of the upstairs is set in 2'
from the downstairs ouside wall, so that is the 14' side of the room.
Anyhow, one of the 2x12s has a crown of about 3/4", facing up. I just
noticed it today-- too late to change it or try to cut it down on top
and shim the bottom. The undersides of the joists are still open, so I
am wondering if I can possibly drill bout a 1/4" hole near the top of
the joist, in the center lengthwise, put a steel cable through it and
hang a couple of hundred pounds of weight from the cable to pull the
joist down. Think that will work? I will not be putting the ceiling
downstairs for quite a while, so it will not matter if it takes some
time to straighten out. Any comments or suggestions will be greatly
appreciated. Thanks Larry