Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith nuttle Keith nuttle is offline

Default 2x12 ramp

On 5/20/2014 12:33 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
I need to load a riding mower onto the bed of my truck. Considering using 2x12s for the ramps, braced at the midpoint. Can they handle this?

How long will the span be? Well it be from the truck to level ground,
or are you planning to do it from a hill or ditch on your property? The
hill/ditch could be a significantly shorter span.

What is the size of the tractor.

With a 2X4 on end, bolted under the 2X10, extending most of the length
of the ramp, I would think it could support most lawn type tractors.

A 2x10 will support two people (500 pounds)