Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default 2x12 ramp

On 5/20/2014 4:29 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Thanks, guys. I'm figuring 12-foot lengths to minimize the likelihood of getting hung up on the mower deck. This is a one-time move. I looked at the HF ramps and they look like a good price ... but their shorter length will increase the odds of a hangup on the mower deck.

On Tuesday, May 20, 2014 4:18:08 PM UTC-5, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Gramps' shop" wrote:

I need to load a riding mower onto the bed of my truck. Considering

using 2x12s for the ramps, braced at the midpoint. Can they handle

this?

How long are the 2x12s?

Lew

I can tell you from experience that 12' may bow and defeat the advantage
of the longer length.. The 2x12 ramps that I used almost on a weekly
basis were 8' long.

If your deck floats it should easily ride over what ever it may come in
contact with, just like irregularities in the yard. Otherwise it should
be easy enough for some one to help lift should there be interference.