Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Home Depot receipts

On 3/27/2014 3:29 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 3/27/2014 1:33 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:

I would like to think that unless your credit card has an email addy on
file for you the prompt would not even come up.

I do know that whenever I send someone with my company HD card to
purchase something needed right away, I insist they say "yes" to the
prompt, and I get a receipt immediately on my phone or tablet, and
without them having to enter an email address - otherwise I may not get
the physical receipt at all by the end of the day.

I live and die by budgetary accountability, and receipts are mandatory,
so love the feature myself ... then again, it is not unusual for me to
charge in high five figures at each of the BORGS on one project.

The ability to logon to HD and Lowe's websites and download all the
purchase and return receipts, over a range of specified dates, is a real
handy feature when accountability is priority one.

HD does not offer that service in the NJ area.
I would chose it.

Are you allowed to use it for returns. I recently needed a receipt for a
purchase, and they gave it to me, but would not take a return on the item.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
[...]

I have observed that Amazon.com has, as part of my account, all of the
details of every purchase I have ever made there. I have found that
handy at least once or twice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

WW wrote:
Not everyone has a computer. Then what??? WW

Then they elect "No" and walk out of the store happy with their standard
printed (and soon to fade...) receipt.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

FrozenNorth wrote:
On 3/27/2014 2:01 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/27/2014 10:22 AM, WW wrote:
Not everyone has a computer. Then what??? WW

Then you slip into possibly the lower class. Do you actually know
some one that does not have access to a computer?

I actually do, my parents, but they are into their 90's, and not
changing anytime soon.

And I'd guess they're not all that likely to spend a lot of time at Home
Depot. For what shopping they do - HD is probably happy to let that type of
consumer fall through the cracks as far a this matter goes.

I would like to think that unless your credit card has an email addy
on file for you the prompt would not even come up.

Not at all. It would more likely come up for every transaction - cash or
credit.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

Are you allowed to use it for returns. I recently needed a receipt
for a purchase, and they gave it to me, but would not take a return
on the item.

Huh? Why would you need a receipt for a purchase Jeff? As for returns, HD
will look up the card you purchased any item on (as long as it was purchased
on a card), in the absense of a receipt. Whoever told you that you needed a
receipt at HD is dead wrong.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/27/2014 2:01 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/27/2014 10:22 AM, WW wrote:
Not everyone has a computer. Then what??? WW

Then you slip into possibly the lower class. Do you actually know some
one that does not have access to a computer?

I actually do, my parents, but they are into their 90's, and not
changing anytime soon.

I would like to think that unless your credit card has an email addy on
file for you the prompt would not even come up.

My dad is 91 and has had a PC since 1987.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/27/2014 2:01 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/27/2014 10:22 AM, WW wrote:
Not everyone has a computer. Then what??? WW

Then you slip into possibly the lower class. Do you actually know some
one that does not have access to a computer?

I actually do, my parents, but they are into their 90's, and not
changing anytime soon.

I would like to think that unless your credit card has an email addy on
file for you the prompt would not even come up.

My dad is 91 and has had a PC since 1987.

My mother-in-law has one too, my dad saw the blinking lights from the
modem and router, said what is that, started telling him, and then he
said "Nevermind, sorry I asked" :-)

Works out for me, glad I do not have to do technical support for them.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 27 Mar 2014 17:33:47 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

woodchucker wrote:

Are you allowed to use it for returns. I recently needed a receipt
for a purchase, and they gave it to me, but would not take a return
on the item.

Huh? Why would you need a receipt for a purchase Jeff? As for returns, HD
will look up the card you purchased any item on (as long as it was purchased
on a card), in the absense of a receipt. Whoever told you that you needed a
receipt at HD is dead wrong.

Lowes doesn't need any sort of a receipt, even for cash transactions.
They ask your phone number and store the purchase information using
that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/27/2014 5:33 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
woodchucker wrote:

Are you allowed to use it for returns. I recently needed a receipt
for a purchase, and they gave it to me, but would not take a return
on the item.

Huh? Why would you need a receipt for a purchase Jeff? As for returns, HD
will look up the card you purchased any item on (as long as it was purchased
on a card), in the absense of a receipt. Whoever told you that you needed a
receipt at HD is dead wrong.

HD did. I took the copy back at a later time and tried returning it.
They told me I needed the original receipt.
The copy had it clearly printed that it was not usable for a return.
I showed them my credit card bill and the date, they were able to look
it up.. but they wanted the original for the return. It ****ed me off.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/27/2014 2:01 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/27/2014 10:22 AM, WW wrote:
Not everyone has a computer. Then what??? WW

Then you slip into possibly the lower class. Do you actually know some
one that does not have access to a computer?

I actually do, my parents, but they are into their 90's, and not
changing anytime soon.

I would like to think that unless your credit card has an email addy on
file for you the prompt would not even come up.

My dad is 91 and has had a PC since 1987.

My mother-in-law has one too, my dad saw the blinking lights from the
modem and router, said what is that, started telling him, and then he
said "Nevermind, sorry I asked" :-)

Works out for me, glad I do not have to do technical support for them.

Yeah! LOL. My dad is starting to not remember stuff, like how to turn
the computer off. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

Are you allowed to use it for returns. I recently needed a receipt
for a purchase, and they gave it to me, but would not take a return
on the item.

Huh? Why would you need a receipt for a purchase Jeff? As for
returns, HD will look up the card you purchased any item on (as long
as it was purchased on a card), in the absense of a receipt. Whoever told
you that you needed a receipt at HD is dead wrong.

HD did. I took the copy back at a later time and tried returning it.
They told me I needed the original receipt.
The copy had it clearly printed that it was not usable for a return.
I showed them my credit card bill and the date, they were able to look
it up.. but they wanted the original for the return. It ****ed me off.

It sure as hell should have ****ed you off. It's HD's policy to just look
it up as long as it was purchased on a card. Likely they will only offer
you store credit (though often they will simply refund the amount), if it's
past 90 days (if I recall correctly), but short of that your local HD was
supposed to take the return per their policy. But... shoulda is just
shoulda, ya know...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/27/2014 6:47 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

It sure as hell should have ****ed you off. It's HD's policy to just look
it up as long as it was purchased on a card. Likely they will only offer
you store credit (though often they will simply refund the amount), if it's
past 90 days (if I recall correctly), but short of that your local HD was
supposed to take the return per their policy. But... shoulda is just
shoulda, ya know...

I always charge back the card. If not absolutely required with a
business account (yep, I've been in line behind behind some silver
tongued devils who got cash back on a commercial account return), doing
so also simplifies bottom line/budget accounting to be able to enter the
negative amount of the credit/return in spreadsheet/accounting software,
especially if the returns were part of a larger purchase.

Having lived through both, this digital age sure makes Elvis' "TCB" a
lot easier to do than it used to be.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

[...]

Well around here they stopped taking returns past 30 days.
I had bought more tha 10k worth of goods when I moved in here, 3 truck
loads. They told me I could return whatever I didn't use any time, so I
bought an extra anywhere from 10 to 20%.

Then they changed the return policy and I had all this overage, and they
refused to take any of it back. At first I started selling some of it to
friends, like the ceiling tiles, and some other stuff. But I had a lot
of sheetrock left as we changed design and I had ordered more than
needed. Well I kept arguing with them over the change in policy..
finally Lowe's opened and I told them I didn't need them anymore, and
they changed their tune and took back the sheetrock, insulation, steel
framing, and some other stuff.

I think they still have that policy now. I'll bet it is market driven.
As in this market they don't have the e-receipts. Nor do they take back
stuff without the original receipt.

I stopped by another HD on my way home from work, with a piece of my
siding. They mixed paint that color matched the siding, but when I got
home the color was off. So I went to the local HD, they mixed up new
paint, but the cashier got the manager involved and she would not
exchange the paint, she said it came from another store so I would have
to pay for the paint mix. I refused... so now they had mixed the paint
and I would not pay. I went back to the other store and told them what
happened and they could not believe that the local store would not
exchange it. They actually returned the cost of the paint for my trouble.

Unfortunately Lowe's is not the answer and neither is HD.

My local lumber yard closes at 4:30 so when I am working it's hard to
get there in time. They are there early, but too many contractors in
front of me... so it's not worth doing an early trip.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/27/2014 7:06 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Well around here they stopped taking returns past 30 days.
I had bought more tha 10k worth of goods when I moved in here, 3 truck
loads. They told me I could return whatever I didn't use any time, so I
bought an extra anywhere from 10 to 20%.

Dayum, that sucks ... it's literally the Eleventh Commandment that both
HD and Lowe's take returns 'no questions asked' around here, as long as
you use a credit card ... and for most cash transactions to boot.

Part of the ritual closing of every job is taking all the pristine
unused items in for charge back. AAMOF, I have a big box on each site
that unused plumbing and electrical parts we buy go into for that very
reason.

Adds up to a beaucoup buck$ in a year ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/27/2014 8:15 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 3/27/2014 7:06 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Well around here they stopped taking returns past 30 days.
I had bought more tha 10k worth of goods when I moved in here, 3 truck
loads. They told me I could return whatever I didn't use any time, so I
bought an extra anywhere from 10 to 20%.

Dayum, that sucks ... it's literally the Eleventh Commandment that both
HD and Lowe's take returns 'no questions asked' around here, as long as
you use a credit card ... and for most cash transactions to boot.

Part of the ritual closing of every job is taking all the pristine
unused items in for charge back. AAMOF, I have a big box on each site
that unused plumbing and electrical parts we buy go into for that very
reason.

Adds up to a beaucoup buck$ in a year ...

Well, I don't know how the commercial accounts were handled, only
retail. When they posted the new policy by the registers it was a shock.

I don't know if that policy is still in effect, but it was unfair to
apply that current policy to a purchase that I made earlier.

I had received the 20% off coupon in the mail from HD for moving in. So
we had to use it quick b4 it expired. So it was 99 when we moved in, and
probably got the coupon in March and bought everything by April.. the
reno stuff, even the grill, all the locks, the paints, you name it.
But I was doing the basement for my son so he could have a play area.
I tried returning the overage in 2001 or 2002. I had to return the stuff
to the house (I had rented their truck for the return)
..
Then I was able to return it once Lowe's opened I think in 2003.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

woodchucker wrote:

Are you allowed to use it for returns. I recently needed a receipt
for a purchase, and they gave it to me, but would not take a return
on the item.

Huh? Why would you need a receipt for a purchase Jeff? As for
returns, HD will look up the card you purchased any item on (as
long as it was purchased on a card), in the absense of a receipt.
Whoever told you that you needed a receipt at HD is dead wrong.

Lowes doesn't need any sort of a receipt, even for cash transactions.
They ask your phone number and store the purchase information using
that.

--

Not here they don't. You don't have a receipt, they are sending you
away.

That sucks Jeff. It's got to be that store Manager's policy, but he's
outside of the corporate policy - as evidenced by the other stores in your
area. I'd be shopping somewhere else, that's for sure.

Different policies for different locations. I see different policies in
different parts of town for the same stores. In one of the WalMarts in
Houston you have to go through an electronically controlled gate to get
"into" the garden center. If the store is situated in an unsavory part
of town it is probably in the stores best interest to require a receipt,
otherwise the store might be giving a refund or store credit on
merchandise that was never purchased to begin with.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Different policies for different locations. I see different policies
in different parts of town for the same stores. In one of the
WalMarts in Houston you have to go through an electronically
controlled gate to get "into" the garden center. If the store is
situated in an unsavory part of town it is probably in the stores
best interest to require a receipt, otherwise the store might be
giving a refund or store credit on merchandise that was never
purchased to begin with.

*Usually*... not so with Home Depot. They are really big on consistency
across the company. That said, Jeff's later postings stated that his
experiences were over 10 years ago - can't speak to how things might have
worked back then.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

woodchucker wrote:

[...]

In some parts of some towns that is a VERY real possibility.

Doesn't stop the crooks from steeling there and returning in a
"better" area of town if they have transportation.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 3/27/2014 8:09 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
woodchucker wrote:
wrote:

woodchucker wrote:

[...]

No, but that requires effort and thinking, something that most crooks
don't want to deal with.

Home Depot - Home Services Experiences Frank[_3_] Home Repair 11 August 9th 07 06:01 AM
Is Home Depot shafting shoppers? "Home Depot is a consistent abuser of its customers' time." Stephen Blackpool Home Repair 65 March 17th 07 12:53 PM
FREE Home Depot Home Improvement How-To-Guide [email protected] Home Repair 3 June 2nd 06 11:06 PM
Where's Home Depot J T Woodworking 57 February 5th 05 06:54 PM
Home Depot at home services, any good reports? [email protected] Home Repair 8 January 20th 05 07:27 PM