Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Damn... dropped it

Bounced my favorite Lie Nielsen low angle (brass) block plane off the concrete floor. Put a wonderful divit on the leading edge that will have to be filed off becuase it actually impengies on the flat face maybe a 1/16th. I guess I finally get to use that granite block and do some lapping this weekend. I use that little plane almost every day I am in the shop.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/9/2013 11:52 AM, SonomaProducts.com wrote:
Bounced my favorite Lie Nielsen low angle (brass) block plane off the concrete floor. Put a wonderful divit on the leading edge that will have to be filed off becuase it actually impengies on the flat face maybe a 1/16th. I guess I finally get to use that granite block and do some lapping this weekend. I use that little plane almost every day I am in the shop.

That's why I put commercial floor tiling in. In most cases my floor gets
the divot removed. not the tool.

I realize your shop is much bigger and too costly to tile, but maybe
work areas could get a ply underlayment.

Sorry for your loss.

BTW that tiling didn't help my Makita LS1013 from it's demise.. when I
dropped it down the stairs to the basement. Destroyed the casting, the
bars... total wreck.. and boy do I miss that Miter saw.. Huge table,
smooth glide. I have not purchased another yet. Looking too, but the
Kapex is too much... The glide looks nice, but is missing a laser.. not
that the laser is that valuable for fine work, but for rough cutting
lumber it would be nice.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message

Bounced my favorite Lie Nielsen low angle (brass) block plane off the
concrete floor. Put a wonderful divit on the leading edge that will have to
be filed off becuase it actually impengies on the flat face maybe a
1/16th. I guess I finally get to use that granite block and do some lapping
this weekend. I use that little plane almost every day I am in the shop.

I know your pain... My L-N 7 got knocked off the bench during a Boy Scout
project. Both the toe and heel suffered the same fate as your low angle...
It hit hard enough that the iron and cap popped loose too. I have not had
the heart to deal with it yet. The bench wasn't actually in use at the time
but while materials were being moved around it got swept off the bench by
materials. I can only blame myself for not moving the tools off the bench
to a safer location... As a co-worker was fond of saying, "no good deed
goes unpunished." ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

I know your pain... My L-N 7 got knocked off the bench during a Boy
Scout project. Both the toe and heel suffered the same fate as your low
angle... It hit hard enough that the iron and cap popped loose too. I
have not had the heart to deal with it yet.

Throughout 99% of the long history of planes, when they were indeed the
indispensable, exalted king tool of the wood shop, there was no such
thing as a concrete floor, or a 'garage shop' with one ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

I can only blame myself for not moving the tools off the bench to a safer location... As a co-worker was fond of saying, "no good deed goes unpunished." ;~) John

Yeah, one of the first shops I worked in had a rule that no power tool could be left on a bench. Anything with a cord had to left on the floor or stored on a shelf. They were fanatical about it. You could get fired for leaving any power tool on a bench.

I have always placed chisels far from any edge and used to be as careful with my planes. Only have to knock a chisel once and try to catch it... ouch. Just let it fall is safer but a bad angle and it is lots o grinding.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 13:29:19 -0500, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

[...]

Did you write to Boy Scout Corporate HQ to see if their insurance
would cover it? LNs ain't cheap.

--
I started out with nothing and
I still have most of it left!
Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message

I can only blame myself for not moving the tools off the bench to a safer
location... As a co-worker was fond of saying, "no good deed goes
unpunished." ;~) John

Yeah, one of the first shops I worked in had a rule that no power tool
could be left on a bench. Anything with a cord had to left on the floor or
stored on a shelf. They were fanatical about it. You could get fired for
leaving any power tool on a bench.

I have always placed chisels far from any edge and used to be as careful
with my planes. Only have to knock a chisel once and try to catch it...
ouch. Just let it fall is safer but a bad angle and it is lots o grinding.

I'm generally much more careful about things like this... but due to the
project the shop was very cluttered and there wasn't much room to maneuver.

I recall that during one of my son's projects he accidently stabbed the
Record vice with my 1/2" chisel and broke a corner off the edge. A few days
later he dropped it and broke the other corner off. The chisel lost about
1/4" in length due to those two incidents. Oh well... I'd rather have the
boys learning and doing than spend much time worrying about the infrequent
accidental damage to my tools.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

I can only blame myself for not moving the tools off the bench to a safer location... As a co-worker was fond of saying, "no good deed goes unpunished." ;~) John

Yeah, one of the first shops I worked in had a rule that no power tool could be left on a bench. Anything with a cord had to left on the floor or stored on a shelf. They were fanatical about it. You could get fired for leaving any power tool on a bench.

I have always placed chisels far from any edge and used to be as careful with my planes. Only have to knock a chisel once and try to catch it... ouch. Just let it fall is safer but a bad angle and it is lots o grinding.

Has any one tried to place a raised lip around their work bench to keep
things from accidentally rolling off?
Posted to rec.woodworking

.. .

wrote:

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message

I know your pain... My L-N 7 got knocked off the bench during a Boy Scout
project. Both the toe and heel suffered the same fate as your low angle...

Did you write to Boy Scout Corporate HQ to see if their insurance
would cover it? LNs ain't cheap.

This is a "donation..." ;~)

As it was, the Unit put up about half the money for materials and a friend
of mine, whom wishes to remain anonymous, put up the other half. I supplied
the labor, my shop, electric, and tool maintenance and repair. Wouldn't you
know it... during that project the magnetic switch on my cabinet saw died,
the lower tire on my bandsaw broke (apparently at the seam), a nail embedded
in the rough cut pine damaged a bunch of teeth on one of my Forrest blades,
and the plane hit the floor. It is what it is... the boys benefited, the
switch and tire probably would have failed on the next project anyway and
that isn't the first time I've hit something embedded in virgin rough cut
and I doubt if it will be the last.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/9/2013 3:14 PM, knuttle wrote:
Has any one tried to place a raised lip around their work bench to keep
things from accidentally rolling off?

No way in hell that will work, as it effectively emasculates the work
bench for most woodworking tasks that they're designed for.

That said, many woodworking benches do have a tool "well" built into the
surface that will certainly help keep an expensive tool from hitting a
concrete floor.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/9/2013 3:23 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/9/2013 3:14 PM, knuttle wrote:
Has any one tried to place a raised lip around their work bench to keep
things from accidentally rolling off?

No way in hell that will work, as it effectively emasculates the work
bench for most woodworking tasks that they're designed for.

That said, many woodworking benches do have a tool "well" built into the
surface that will certainly help keep an expensive tool from hitting a
concrete floor.

I detest woodworking blogs with a passion, but case in point:

http://www.rpwoodwork.com/blog/2011/...nch-tool-well/

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

John.... Look at it this way. If you did not have any bad luck, you would
not have any luck at all. :) Sorry, had to say it. ww

Posted to rec.woodworking

Has any one tried to place a raised lip around their work bench to keep things from accidentally rolling off?

Wouldn't work for me. I clamp stuff down to the table as a pretty standard course of work. Most every assembly. I do have one small section where I have 2 vertical miter bar channels in the side of the table (it has a hard facia about 5" deep) and a board with locking knobs so I can slide it up and lock it to create an indexing edge when I want to line up items for assembly. Not sure the descripton is understandable but I use it quite often.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, January 9, 2013 10:52:40 AM UTC-6, SonomaProducts.com wrote:
Bounced my favorite Lie Nielsen low angle (brass) block plane off the concrete floor. Put a wonderful divit on the leading edge that will have to be filed off becuase it actually impengies on the flat face maybe a 1/16th. I guess I finally get to use that granite block and do some lapping this weekend. I use that little plane almost every day I am in the shop.

Ouch. My worst was when the stock miter gauge from my Delta TS took a dive and got knocked out of whack. Could not get it consistently square, so used that as an excuse to get the Incra.

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 08:52:40 -0800 (PST), "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote:

Bounced my favorite Lie Nielsen low angle (brass) block plane off the concrete floor. Put a wonderful divit on the leading edge that will have to be filed off becuase it actually impengies on the flat face maybe a 1/16th. I guess I finally get to use that granite block and do some lapping this weekend. I use that little plane almost every day I am in the shop.

I have that same plane and use it every shop-day as well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/9/2013 4:14 PM, knuttle wrote:
I can only blame myself for not moving the tools off the bench to a
safer location... As a co-worker was fond of saying, "no good deed
goes unpunished." ;~) John

Yeah, one of the first shops I worked in had a rule that no power tool
could be left on a bench. Anything with a cord had to left on the
floor or stored on a shelf. They were fanatical about it. You could
get fired for leaving any power tool on a bench.

I have always placed chisels far from any edge and used to be as
careful with my planes. Only have to knock a chisel once and try to
catch it... ouch. Just let it fall is safer but a bad angle and it is
lots o grinding.

Has any one tried to place a raised lip around their work bench to keep
things from accidentally rolling off?

Why would you do that? How would you clamp something to your bench and
overhang the edge?

How would that stop something from going over. Imagine a 1/8 inch lip,
if you pushed enough the plane would roll over and go over anyway.
Same with a 1/2 lip. So what would be the point.

Wells are used on some benches. That might have helped, but not guaranteed.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

John, didn't you just replace that switch not too long ago, or needed
info on wiring it???

John, seems like too many things went wrong during their time there.
Was there a little devil in the group?

Let's see
Forrest blade 134
Switch 50-200
Plane $425
New tire $30

you had a very expensive day....

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodchucker" wrote in message

John, didn't you just replace that switch not too long ago, or needed
info on wiring it???

John, seems like too many things went wrong during their time there.
Was there a little devil in the group?

Let's see
Forrest blade 134
Switch 50-200
Plane $425
New tire $30

you had a very expensive day....

The project took me about 220 hours spread over a number of months... Much
of it I worked on alone. It's the same switch as discussed about a year ago.
During the project before that it was giving me grief. Once I got into this
project it was worse. After cleaning it with contact cleaner, adjusting it,
etc. it still didn't work so I replaced it. The plane accident happened near
the end of the project.

As I recall the switch was $150 so yes it was an expensive project. However,
the tire and switch failures during the project were a coincidence. They
could have failed on the next project or the project after that... so they
don't count against the project! I believe I can fix the plane to full
function even if it doesn't have that "factory" look any more.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramp's shop" wrote in message

On Wednesday, January 9, 2013 10:52:40 AM UTC-6, SonomaProducts.com wrote:
Bounced my favorite Lie Nielsen low angle (brass) block plane off the
concrete floor. Put a wonderful divit on the leading edge that will
have to be filed off becuase it actually impengies on the flat face maybe
a 1/16th. I guess I finally get to use that granite block and do some
lapping this weekend. I use that little plane almost every day I am in
the shop.

Ouch. My worst was when the stock miter gauge from my Delta TS took a dive
and got knocked out of whack. Could not get it consistently square, so
used that as an excuse to get the Incra.

Larry

You can only get away with that strategy for so long before it is questioned
by others with influence.... ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

knuttle wrote in
:

Has any one tried to place a raised lip around their work bench to
keep things from accidentally rolling off?

My main bench was designed with clamping in mind. There's no way it would
work. However, on my secondary bench (mitersaw table), I've considered
adding a back so tools don't fall off the back.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 16:15:07 -0500, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

. ..

wrote:

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message

I know your pain... My L-N 7 got knocked off the bench during a Boy Scout
project. Both the toe and heel suffered the same fate as your low angle...

Did you write to Boy Scout Corporate HQ to see if their insurance
would cover it? LNs ain't cheap.

This is a "donation..." ;~)

The meet was, but not the tool abuse. Oh, well. Just bondo the LN
and be done with it, wot?

As it was, the Unit put up about half the money for materials and a friend
of mine, whom wishes to remain anonymous, put up the other half. I supplied
the labor, my shop, electric, and tool maintenance and repair. Wouldn't you
know it... during that project the magnetic switch on my cabinet saw died,
the lower tire on my bandsaw broke (apparently at the seam), a nail embedded
in the rough cut pine damaged a bunch of teeth on one of my Forrest blades,
and the plane hit the floor. It is what it is... the boys benefited, the
switch and tire probably would have failed on the next project anyway and
that isn't the first time I've hit something embedded in virgin rough cut
and I doubt if it will be the last.

Ouch! Um, I'd be certain to never again volunteer my shop for
anything, John. You have serious karma issues. titter

--
I started out with nothing and
I still have most of it left!
--anon
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Did you write to Boy Scout Corporate HQ to see if their insurance
would cover it? LNs ain't cheap.

This is a "donation..." ;~)

The meet was, but not the tool abuse. Oh, well. Just bondo the LN
and be done with it, wot?

I am involved with fund raising for the local Boy Scout Council and attended
a Unit meeting last night where finances were discussed. From this I know
all too well that some things just need to be let go... In this case I see
no liability on anyone's part but my own and I'm rather confident that the
plane can be repaired to function properly. If not... I'll use my
grandfather's Millers Falls No 7 and, when there are enough nickels saved
up, buy a new L-N.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

SonomaProducts.com wrote the following on 1/9/2013 2:19 PM (ET):
I can only blame myself for not moving the tools off the bench to a safer location... As a co-worker was fond of saying, "no good deed goes unpunished." ;~) John

Yeah, one of the first shops I worked in had a rule that no power tool could be left on a bench. Anything with a cord had to left on the floor or stored on a shelf. They were fanatical about it. You could get fired for leaving any power tool on a bench.

I have always placed chisels far from any edge and used to be as careful with my planes. Only have to knock a chisel once and try to catch it... ouch. Just let it fall is safer but a bad angle and it is lots o grinding.

If I see it start to fall, I instinctively swing my foot under it to
either catch it before it hits the floor or lessen the height before
hitting.
I gotta remember not to do that with tools that are more than a few
pounds in weight.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 10, 11:24*am, willshak wrote:
[...]

You'd be surprised how much a "light weight" 12" Jourgeson
F-clamp smarts when it hits your foot.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 9, 11:52*am, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
Bounced my favorite Lie Nielsen low angle (brass) block plane off the concrete floor. Put a wonderful divit on the leading edge that will have to be filed off becuase it actually impengies on the flat face maybe a 1/16th. I guess I finally get to use that granite block and do some lapping this weekend. I use that little plane almost every day I am in the shop.

It'll still be flat, though. Cheapest prevention is to keep
it near the center of the bench.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 11:24:56 -0500, willshak
If I see it start to fall, I instinctively swing my foot under it to
either catch it before it hits the floor or lessen the height before
hitting.
I gotta remember not to do that with tools that are more than a few
pounds in weight.

That would suggest safety shoes with toe, metatarsal and sole
protection thrown in for good measure.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
om...

[...]

I finally was of a mind to examine the L-N 7 this afternoon after being
unwilling to do so for a good 6 maybe even 8 months. All I did after it fell
was put the iron and cap iron back in place and note the damage to the toe
and heel. Anyhow, upon inspection I determined that the damage to the body
was limited to the dents and that it was not twisted, cracked, or otherwise
beyond repair. I made quick work of restoring functionality to the sole with
a mill file and some 600 grit emery paper. The small steel adjuster part
that is screwed to the frog was bent and easily flattened with a brass
hammer on the anvil part of my vice. The chip breaker had moved on the iron
so I took that off. While it was off I touched up the edge on my large black
Arkansas bench stone and reinstalled the cap iron. It looks fine. I
reassembled the frog and adjusted it and the iron and did some testing. All
seems OK even if there are some bright, but flat spots on the sole. There
are enough small scratches on the body from use that I'd anticipate things
will all blend in over time so nobody would ever know it was damaged. I
guess I'm lucky it landed on the sole and not the tote!

John

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

news:TKSdnTo_LNtyK3DNnZ2dnUVZ_oednZ2d@earthlink .com...

[...]

;~)

[...]

Excellent news, John. That saves three mortgage payments, eh?

+1

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

It sure seemed that way! ;~)

I think the worst part of fixing it was the notion of taking a file to an
L-N plane... Not sure why considering I've taken files and stones to other
relatively expensive items and haven't butchered anything (yet).

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Excellent news, John. That saves three mortgage payments, eh?

It sure seemed that way! ;~)

I think the worst part of fixing it was the notion of taking a file to
an L-N plane... Not sure why considering I've taken files and stones to
other relatively expensive items and haven't butchered anything (yet).

Probably just due to the fact that the other expensive items were not
the epitome of perfection when first placed in your handsg

There is expensive and then there is L-N: expensive AND perfect

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

... My L-N 7 got knocked off the bench during a Boy Scout project. Both
the toe and heel suffered the same fate as your low angle... It hit
hard enough that the iron and cap popped loose too. I have not had the
heart to deal with it yet. The bench wasn't actually in use at the time
but while materials were being moved around it got swept off the bench
by materials. I can only blame myself for not moving the tools off
the bench to a safer location... As a co-worker was fond of saying,
"no good deed goes unpunished." ;~)

seems OK even if there are some bright, but flat spots on the sole. There
are enough small scratches on the body from use that I'd anticipate
things will all blend in over time so nobody would ever know it was
damaged. I guess I'm lucky it landed on the sole and not the tote!
John

Appropriate to think of it as the "beauty mark", considered part of a
lovely woman's makeup, in the days when the plane was king ...
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Its not the butchering, its the pain of having something that was
pristine and treasured now imperfect that bothered you. Been there...

Once you get over it, it is actually a better tool, since you are not
afraid of dinging it again.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote in
:

Its not the butchering, its the pain of having something that was
pristine and treasured now imperfect that bothered you. Been there...

Once you get over it, it is actually a better tool, since you are not
afraid of dinging it again.

Kinda like the first door ding on a new car....

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
woodchucker wrote in
:

Its not the butchering, its the pain of having something that was
pristine and treasured now imperfect that bothered you. Been there...

Once you get over it, it is actually a better tool, since you are not
afraid of dinging it again.

Kinda like the first door ding on a new car....

+1 (easier than repeating by you beating to the punch)

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodchucker" wrote in message

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

Excellent news, John. That saves three mortgage payments, eh?

It sure seemed that way! ;~)

I think the worst part of fixing it was the notion of taking a file to
an L-N plane... Not sure why considering I've taken files and stones to
other relatively expensive items and haven't butchered anything (yet).

John

Its not the butchering, its the pain of having something that was pristine
and treasured now imperfect that bothered you. Been there...

Once you get over it, it is actually a better tool, since you are not
afraid of dinging it again.

I was like that with my first L-N plane... a 4. After that one I just used
them and let my kids use the stuff... planes, saws, etc. I figured out that
the kids are much more interested if they enjoy success. I recall the dull,
crappy old hand tools of my grandfather's that had been neglected and abused
by the time I got to them... from trying to use them I was of the mind that
you NEEDED power tools to do woodworking as hand tools were useless. ;~)
After my stint at Colonial Williamsburg I had a different opinion.

RE L-N stuff, I bought a 5 simply because my kids couldn't handle the 7 and
the York pitch 4 is all wrong for almost all planning--too specialized.
Funny thing about the 5 is it became my most used and favorite plane... even
if it was for the kids!

John
....whom has mastered the art of the sale.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

What's wrong with a 5?

As a matter of fact, my favorite plane is my #5, I have 2. One an old
refinished stanley and the other a veritas low angle, so I can change
the pitch of the blade at will.

I just finished today refinishing a 5 1/4 Junior Jack... that might
become a favorite too. I picked it up at a garage sale for $1 about 5
years ago. It was pretty badly rusted and was painted. It looks awesome
now, and works just as well. I wish I had a york pitched #4... ,
actually, I would like to find a 4 1/2... And like you I love working
with planes, the finish is just astounding when planed. Plus nice and
quiet. Don't get me wrong I love my power tools, but having really good
working planes makes it really nice.

--
Jeff

Ever since the Ball Dropped The Daring Dufas[_8_] Home Repair 0 January 4th 13 07:42 AM
Dropped kurb DerbyBorn UK diy 39 June 19th 11 12:56 PM
Damn Plumbing - Damn Faucett Packing Red Green Home Repair 4 April 4th 09 08:09 PM
Sharp DV-L80 dropped [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 September 2nd 07 02:50 AM
Ohhh ..... DAMN!! Damn, damn, damn. Broke a gear! Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 9 August 11th 05 07:37 PM