Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Damn... dropped it

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 17:57:08 -0500, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

I finally was of a mind to examine the L-N 7 this afternoon after being
unwilling to do so for a good 6 maybe even 8 months. All I did after
it fell
was put the iron and cap iron back in place and note the damage to
the toe
and heel. Anyhow, upon inspection I determined that the damage to
the body
was limited to the dents and that it was not twisted, cracked, or
otherwise
beyond repair. I made quick work of restoring functionality to the
sole with
a mill file and some 600 grit emery paper. The small steel adjuster part
that is screwed to the frog was bent and easily flattened with a brass
hammer on the anvil part of my vice. The chip breaker had moved on
the iron
so I took that off. While it was off I touched up the edge on my
large black
Arkansas bench stone and reinstalled the cap iron. It looks fine. I
reassembled the frog and adjusted it and the iron and did some
testing. All
seems OK even if there are some bright, but flat spots on the sole.
There
are enough small scratches on the body from use that I'd anticipate
things
will all blend in over time so nobody would ever know it was damaged. I
guess I'm lucky it landed on the sole and not the tote!

Excellent news, John. That saves three mortgage payments, eh?

It sure seemed that way! ;~)

I think the worst part of fixing it was the notion of taking a file to
an L-N plane... Not sure why considering I've taken files and stones to
other relatively expensive items and haven't butchered anything (yet).

John

Its not the butchering, its the pain of having something that was
pristine and treasured now imperfect that bothered you. Been there...

Once you get over it, it is actually a better tool, since you are not
afraid of dinging it again.

--
Jeff