Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Damn... dropped it

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 17:57:08 -0500, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
news:TKSdnTo_LNtyK3DNnZ2dnUVZ_oednZ2d@earthlink .com...

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message

Bounced my favorite Lie Nielsen low angle (brass) block plane off
the concrete floor. Put a wonderful divit on the leading edge that
will have to be filed off becuase it actually impengies on the flat
face maybe a 1/16th. I guess I finally get to use that granite block
and do some lapping this weekend. I use that little plane almost
every day I am in the shop.

I know your pain... My L-N 7 got knocked off the bench during a Boy
Scout project. Both the toe and heel suffered the same fate as your
low angle... It hit hard enough that the iron and cap popped loose
too. I have not had the heart to deal with it yet. The bench wasn't
actually in use at the time but while materials were being moved
around it got swept off the bench by materials. I can only blame
myself for not moving the tools off the bench to a safer location...
As a co-worker was fond of saying, "no good deed goes unpunished."
;~)

I finally was of a mind to examine the L-N 7 this afternoon after
being unwilling to do so for a good 6 maybe even 8 months. All I did
after it fell was put the iron and cap iron back in place and note the
damage to the toe and heel. Anyhow, upon inspection I determined that
the damage to the body was limited to the dents and that it was not
twisted, cracked, or otherwise beyond repair. I made quick work of
restoring functionality to the sole with a mill file and some 600 grit
emery paper. The small steel adjuster part that is screwed to the frog
was bent and easily flattened with a brass hammer on the anvil part of
my vice. The chip breaker had moved on the iron so I took that off.
While it was off I touched up the edge on my large black Arkansas
bench stone and reinstalled the cap iron. It looks fine. I reassembled
the frog and adjusted it and the iron and did some testing. All seems
OK even if there are some bright, but flat spots on the sole. There
are enough small scratches on the body from use that I'd anticipate
things will all blend in over time so nobody would ever know it was
damaged. I guess I'm lucky it landed on the sole and not the tote!

Excellent news, John. That saves three mortgage payments, eh?

+1

--
Best regards
Han