Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Damn Plumbing - Damn Faucett Packing

Of all the crap I do and do very well, f'n plumbing I hate. Of course,
because I suck at it. And of course, because I don't do much of it.

With that out of the way...

Simple thing - faucett packing. Never have much luck with it. When
possible I just replace the valve. Tried back a way to repack a hose bib.
Lasted a week at best. Sweated a new one on from under house. Sweating I
can manage pretty good.

This is a case where sweating a new fitting on isn't straight forward. In
one of those laundry cubbyholes. Wood on 3 sides of the pipes like an
inch away, pipe is short and covered with years of paint. Don't have a
plumbers heat shield. Figured once again I'd try repacking the bonnet.
Fortunately upper valve unscrews from it's lower piece that was sweated
to supply 30 years ago.

I repack (white Teflon), put new shutoff washer and base washer. Lightly
snug bonnet and turn on water with plan to tighten until it stops leaking
so I don't over tighten it. Do that and OK. Open and close valve a few
times and there's signs of moisture. Mumble mutha f#$*!er although not
totally surprised. Tighten some more. Few on/offs. Signs of stem moisture
again. Tighten some more. Seems OK. I have as much faith in it not
seeping in the future as I do the deficit being balanced out.

I'm sure I'm gonna end up going through taking the old valves off totally
and replacing if I want any confidence in no leaking.

Anyone wanna toss out "You dumb ****. You have to yadda yadda if you
expect it to work."?

Red...
Posted to alt.home.repair

I never tried Teflon packing. I always use graphite with a dab of
plumbing grease. Your water pressure may be over fifty PSI if you’re
having so many problems.

On Apr 1, 5:16*pm, Red Green wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"Red Green" wrote in message
[...]

If it's nothing more severe than a sign of moisture then I'd let it sit for
a while. Generally it will stop on its own.
MLD

OT - Damn ... Swingman Woodworking 39 August 7th 08 01:54 AM
Damn you NTL !! Arfa Daily Electronics Repair 4 May 9th 08 01:23 AM
Damn, Damn it George UK diy 34 April 28th 08 10:40 PM
Damn SirBenjamin UK diy 3 December 16th 06 06:03 PM
Ohhh ..... DAMN!! Damn, damn, damn. Broke a gear! Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 9 August 11th 05 07:37 PM