Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT - Damn ...

.... been sitting here in Houston all day waiting for enough rain so I can go
looting and score myself a couple of HD big screens, and now ... nothing but
sunshine!

CNN ... you dumbasses!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
... been sitting here in Houston all day waiting for enough rain so I can
go
looting and score myself a couple of HD big screens, and now ... nothing
but
sunshine!

CNN ... you dumbasses!

--Just wait until November, you might have another chance.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
"Swingman" wrote:

... been sitting here in Houston all day waiting for enough rain so I can go
looting and score myself a couple of HD big screens, and now ... nothing but
sunshine!

CNN ... you dumbasses!

1.5" what a wimp of a storm.

And, I loaded up my shop, last night, with all of the things from the
yard that could have flown about. Tonight I have to undo all of that
effort.

I was hoping to get some actual shop time to work on the cabinets for
the shop. First things first.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
... been sitting here in Houston all day waiting for enough rain so I can
go
looting and score myself a couple of HD big screens, and now ... nothing
but
sunshine!

CNN ... you dumbasses!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

I have finally come up with a "term" for the condition that the weather
celebrities have. When little boys and girls discover what each other have,
the little girls are some times fascinated with the "extra's" that the
little boys have. IIRC it is called Peni_ Envy.

Weather celebrities have Hurricane Envy and in Houston the Weather
Celebrities are terminal with it. When I lived 200 miles south west in
Corpus Christi we had 3 "Major" hurricanes in a 10 year period. Houston has
had 2 hurricanes, but not as strong, in the last 50+ years.
To put the local hurricane weather coverage in perspective, imagine 8 1/2
straight hours of coverage of the first 2" snow for the season in Buffalo,
NY.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

To put the local hurricane weather coverage in perspective, imagine
8 1/2 straight hours of coverage of the first 2" snow for the season
in Buffalo, NY.

You need to spend some time in SoCal.

The weather jockies have at least 100 different ways to say that it
will be 70F and the sun will shine, unless you are in the desert, then
it's 100F.

And you get an update every 15 minutes.

Talk about filling time.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote

I have finally come up with a "term" for the condition that the weather
celebrities have. When little boys and girls discover what each other
have, the little girls are some times fascinated with the "extra's" that
the little boys have. IIRC it is called Peni_ Envy.

Weather celebrities have Hurricane Envy and in Houston the Weather
Celebrities are terminal with it. When I lived 200 miles south west in
Corpus Christi we had 3 "Major" hurricanes in a 10 year period. Houston
has had 2 hurricanes, but not as strong, in the last 50+ years.
To put the local hurricane weather coverage in perspective, imagine 8 1/2
straight hours of coverage of the first 2" snow for the season in Buffalo,
NY.

I always thought it was weather envy. They don't have the extreme weather.
They wish they had it. So they go nuts every time there is a tiny chance
that an extreme weather event could possible occur.

In the Seattle area there is the annual "artic blast" or "winter storm"
event each winter. Since the Seattle area has not had any significant
snowfall for many years, these weather whores just go nuts when a few snow
flakes appear.

They will take a light dusting of snow and make it sound like we are buried
under several feet of the stuff and a hundred people or so will die if
proper winter precautions are not taken. I have had out of town folks stare
in wonderment at this annual winter weather rite. They could not believe it.

I remember years ago when a local reporter actually chased snowflakes around
to catch them. Apparently to prove that this was "authentic" snow. Thank
goodness it wasn't any of that fake snow!

It really is like all other media. They never let facts get in the way of a
good story. And if they don't have any news to report, they make it up! We
all have to experience the local varations of this. There is a Houston
flavor and a Seattle flavor. It is everywhere. There is no escape.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote:

To put the local hurricane weather coverage in perspective, imagine 8 1/2
straight hours of coverage of the first 2" snow for the season in
Buffalo, NY.

You need to spend some time in SoCal.

The weather jockies have at least 100 different ways to say that it will
be 70F and the sun will shine, unless you are in the desert, then it's
100F.

And you get an update every 15 minutes.

Talk about filling time.

Lew

Is that an invite Lew? '~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote

It really is like all other media. They never let facts get in the way of

good story. And if they don't have any news to report, they make it up!

We
all have to experience the local varations of this. There is a Houston
flavor and a Seattle flavor. It is everywhere. There is no escape.

There ya go ... in a nutshell.

.... which, depending upon the wind chill factor, may be more, or less,
sensational than your average nutshell

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

Is that an invite Lew? '~)

You want to be a weather person?G

About the best weather gig in the country has got to be Dick Goddard
in Cleveland.

Was a weather guy in the air force.

Mustered out and started doing TV weather around 1960.

Cleveland has very unique weather patterns do to the effects of Lake
Erie.

Goddard was pretty good at getting it right more than half the time,

One of the first to get the meteorological seal of approval as a
weather forecaster.

Has a lot of fun with the Farmers Almanac.

Uses the wooly bear caterpillar for a fall festival, etc, etc.

As far as I know, he still does a daily show.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
... been sitting here in Houston all day waiting for enough rain so I can
go
looting and score myself a couple of HD big screens, and now ... nothing
but
sunshine!

CNN ... you dumbasses!

Yeah, There's a whopping two inches in my rain gage and I think the wind hit
15-16 knots twice all day.

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

I have finally come up with a "term" for the condition that the weather
celebrities have. When little boys and girls discover what each other
have, the little girls are some times fascinated with the "extra's" that
the little boys have. IIRC it is called Peni_ Envy.

Weather celebrities have Hurricane Envy and in Houston the Weather
Celebrities are terminal with it. When I lived 200 miles south west in
Corpus Christi we had 3 "Major" hurricanes in a 10 year period. Houston
has had 2 hurricanes, but not as strong, in the last 50+ years.
To put the local hurricane weather coverage in perspective, imagine 8 1/2
straight hours of coverage of the first 2" snow for the season in Buffalo,
NY.

Go stand on the Galveston seawall with your yellow slicker on, crank up the
off-camera wind machine while a gaffer sprays you with a water hose.
I noticed KHOU pre-empted Katie Couric between 5:30 and 6:00 and then
saw the graphic EDUORD AFTERMATH filling the whole screen during the 6:00
local broadcast.
Sheesh.

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave in Houston" wrote in
:

Go stand on the Galveston seawall with your yellow slicker on, crank
up the off-camera wind machine while a gaffer sprays you with a water
hose.
I noticed KHOU pre-empted Katie Couric between 5:30 and 6:00 and
then
saw the graphic EDUORD AFTERMATH filling the whole screen during the
6:00 local broadcast.
Sheesh.

Dave in Houston

We had a storm here in Illinois this morning, and after it got done I spent
around an hour cleaning leaves out of the pool. Was Eduord about like
that?

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Dave in Houston wrote:
I noticed KHOU pre-empted Katie Couric between 5:30 and 6:00 ...

Well, there's a plus, anyway...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Austin's weather persons must have one of the tougher jobs.

There can be a high of 96, with 99% humidity and then a low of
30 that nite, followed by hail the next day, with lightning storms
later that night - which seem to last for hours and really snap
crackle and pop, with regular deafening booms - before the light
reaches you. Then there's a month of drought which may trigger
the locust swarms. Haven't heard of any rivers turning to blood
or swarms of flies followed by an onslaught of frogs - but I
wouldn't rule out the possibility.

Though, growing up in the Panama Canal Zone, I have experienced
the front of the car in sunshine, and the back of the car in a
sheet of rain, I had never seen horizontal rain, nor been blown
sideways - in a van - with new tires.

Around Austin, the phrase "God willing and the creek don't rise."
has real meaning. And you better pay attention to the Depth Sticks
at low bridges after the sky has opened up - or you may find that
your vehicle will actually float - for a while.
Posted to rec.woodworking

charlieb wrote:

Austin's weather persons must have one of the tougher jobs.

Pretty close. One of the guys I used to work with in Dallas said he took
a meteorology course in grad school and was told that people in Dallas had
one of the worst areas in which to predict weather. Something to do with
the location relative to the Gulf and other geographic features.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

Is that an invite Lew? '~)

You want to be a weather person?G

When my son was very young I always told him that he could always be a
doctor or a weather man, no one ever expects you to get it right the first
go round. ;~)

About the best weather gig in the country has got to be Dick Goddard in
Cleveland.

Was a weather guy in the air force.

Mustered out and started doing TV weather around 1960.

Cleveland has very unique weather patterns do to the effects of Lake Erie.

Goddard was pretty good at getting it right more than half the time,

One of the first to get the meteorological seal of approval as a weather
forecaster.

Has a lot of fun with the Farmers Almanac.

Uses the wooly bear caterpillar for a fall festival, etc, etc.

As far as I know, he still does a daily show.

Good for him as few are worth a darn.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave in Houston" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message

Go stand on the Galveston seawall with your yellow slicker on, crank up
the off-camera wind machine while a gaffer sprays you with a water hose.
I noticed KHOU pre-empted Katie Couric between 5:30 and 6:00 and then
saw the graphic EDUORD AFTERMATH filling the whole screen during the 6:00
local broadcast.
Sheesh.

On 2, Marissa Reyes? stood on the beach doing some break dancing to show
how windy it was and yet her hair mostly stood still in the wind.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
... been sitting here in Houston all day waiting for enough rain so I can
go
looting and score myself a couple of HD big screens, and now ... nothing
but
sunshine!

CNN ... you dumbasses!

Yeah, There's a whopping two inches in my rain gage and I think the wind
hit 15-16 knots twice all day.

Well you musta been right smack dab in the "Cone of Death", we got an inch.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlieb" wrote in message
Austin's weather persons must have one of the tougher jobs.

There can be a high of 96, with 99% humidity and then a low of
30 that nite, followed by hail the next day, with lightning storms
later that night - which seem to last for hours and really snap
crackle and pop, with regular deafening booms - before the light
reaches you. Then there's a month of drought which may trigger
the locust swarms. Haven't heard of any rivers turning to blood
or swarms of flies followed by an onslaught of frogs - but I
wouldn't rule out the possibility.

Though, growing up in the Panama Canal Zone, I have experienced
the front of the car in sunshine, and the back of the car in a
sheet of rain, I had never seen horizontal rain, nor been blown
sideways - in a van - with new tires.

Just 2 weeks ago I walked out of my garage to see my truck setting in the
drive soaking wet, and the other half of the drive way bone dry. Half the
roof on my house was wet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
... been sitting here in Houston all day waiting for enough rain so I
can go
looting and score myself a couple of HD big screens, and now ... nothing
but
sunshine!

CNN ... you dumbasses!

Yeah, There's a whopping two inches in my rain gage and I think the wind
hit 15-16 knots twice all day.

Well you musta been right smack dab in the "Cone of Death", we got an
inch.

I guess it only rained in half your rain gage, Leon.

~)))) Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 22:18:14 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

On 2, Marissa Reyes? stood on the beach doing some break dancing to show
how windy it was and yet her hair mostly stood still in the wind.

You figger it was shellac, or poly?

Regards, Tom.

Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlieb" wrote

Though, growing up in the Panama Canal Zone, I have experienced
the front of the car in sunshine, and the back of the car in a
sheet of rain,

For some reason my old German grandmother would always quote and "old
saying" to the effect that "the devil is chasing his wife around a stump
with a broomstick" when the sun was shining on one side of the street, and
it was raining on the other.

I've often wondered where she got that saying.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 2, Marissa Reyes? stood on the beach doing some break dancing to show
how windy it was and yet her hair mostly stood still in the wind.

You figger it was shellac, or poly?

She has black hair, probably "Beach Tar". LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

charlieb wrote:
Austin's weather persons must have one of the tougher jobs.

There can be a high of 96, with 99% humidity and then a low of
30 that nite, ...

I'd like to see the strip chart data for that day...

Like the comments on the forecasters and severe weather, the saw of
"Here's the toughest place on the planet to forecast" is thrown about
everywhere as well. Don't know any one place has a lock certainly, lots
of differing challenges in many places owing to terrain and all...

Even E TN and W VA are difficult to forecast accurately even though not
much severe weather but because a minor change in steering currents can
change a system from going up one or the other side of the Cumberlands
or the Blue Ridge and that can make all the difference in the world in
what it does...

Somebody else mentioned lake effects (used to travel to Wickliffe area
regularly in previous life on business--I swear I could show up on 4July
weekend and it would've snowed just for me ); there are all kinds of
coastal/mountain effects along west coast, etc., etc., etc., ...

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

"Swingman" wrote in message
... been sitting here in Houston all day waiting for enough rain so I can
go
looting and score myself a couple of HD big screens, and now ... nothing
but
sunshine!

CNN ... you dumbasses!

Yeah, There's a whopping two inches in my rain gage and I think the wind
hit 15-16 knots twice all day.

Well you musta been right smack dab in the "Cone of Death", we got an inch.

I commented earlier on hoping for Dolly to get far enough west to
eventually do us some good -- well, Dolly was pretty much a dud here w/
only a few sprinkles, and it's too early to see if Eddie will manage to
get an Gulf moisture our way, but we got a good inch last night out of
20% chances w/ only a tolerable amount of wind and lumpy rain so we're
feeling/looking much better this morning...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 5, 10:11 pm, Mark & Juanita wrote:

Pretty close. One of the guys I used to work with in Dallas said he took
a meteorology course in grad school and was told that people in Dallas had
one of the worst areas in which to predict weather. Something to do with
the location relative to the Gulf and other geographic features.

I believe that. There are a lot of places in Texas that face extreme
temps, but not too many that go both ways as the Dallas area.

The unofficial temps over the weekend I saw on the 24 hour weather
channel was 107. Claims are that it was actually a balmy 104.

In just a few short months they will be facing ice and snow, sometimes
a helluva lot of it, and then in the spring heavy rains and flooding.

They can have it.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 16:40:32 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

... been sitting here in Houston all day waiting for enough rain so I can go
looting and score myself a couple of HD big screens, and now ... nothing but
sunshine!

CNN ... you dumbasses!

You're looking for info in all the wrong places. Watch the commodity
traders and the price of oil and refined products. Somehow they seem
to know.......
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Bailey?

Yep, along w/ Diamond...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 16:08:37 -0500, dpb wrote:

Frank Boettcher wrote:
You're looking for info in all the wrong places. Watch the commodity
traders and the price of oil and refined products. Somehow they seem
to know.......

No, the don't really know -- they make educated guesses depending on the
same basic information and some more detailed knowledge than the average
joe of where facilities are located wrt actual storm tracks...but it's
still a play on odds; some of which are self-fulfilling if potential is
large.

Same as when the Iranians rattle or Israelis talk back or insurgents in
Nigeria do something it upsets the status quo...

I thought it would be obvious, but I guess I should have put a grin on
that post.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote:
Yep, along w/ Diamond...

Diamond?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Frank Boettcher wrote:
You're looking for info in all the wrong places. Watch the commodity
traders and the price of oil and refined products. Somehow they seem
to know.......

No, the don't really know -- they make educated guesses depending on the
same basic information and some more detailed knowledge than the average
joe of where facilities are located wrt actual storm tracks...but it's
still a play on odds; some of which are self-fulfilling if potential is
large.

Same as when the Iranians rattle or Israelis talk back or insurgents in
Nigeria do something it upsets the status quo...

I thought it would be obvious, but I guess I should have put a grin on
that post.

I've learned over the years on Usenet, when in doubt, add the ;-)
;-)
--
Froz...
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"dpb" wrote:
Yep, along w/ Diamond...

Diamond?

Diamond Power...they made control rod drives/mechanisms. A Bailey
susidiary (which of course was B&W). All of this assuming we're both
talking BMCo, of course...

I was B&W NPGD at the time; your Bailey connection??? (This is going
back a _looonnng_ time here... )

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Frank Boettcher wrote:
I thought it would be obvious, but I guess I should have put a grin on
that post.

Suppose it shoulda' been, sorry Frank...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote:
Diamond Power...they made control rod drives/mechanisms.

Small bloody world.

Started my career at National Carbon at "Factory A" in Lakewood.

In addition to being the founding location for National Carbon which
later became UCC, it is where the bmade graphite control rods as well
as the interlocking logs that accepted the rods.

I was B&W NPGD at the time; your Bailey connection??? (This is
going back a _looonnng_ time here... )

They were a customer for electrical control hardware.

This would have been 70's time frame.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Lew Hodgett wrote:
later became UCC, ...

and somewhat later were the operating contractor for ORNL and the other
DOE facilities in Oak Ridge when I left B&W for SAI in Oak Ridge...

BMCo was the designated supplier by B&W corporate for all B&W NPGD
reactor controls at the time, ergo Diamond became the drives vendor by
edict from BMCo passing on the torch...

This would have been 70's time frame.

I was B&W (Lynchburg) from 68-78; the BMCo interaction was mostly early
mid-70s striving to bring order from chaos as BMCO tried to quantify
instrumentation error component of setpoint/trip error limits to NRC for
initial Oconee-class reactor power tests/licensing limits.

_Most_ glad when NPGD bought the corporate Citation to make the commute
instead of the turbo-prop...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Boettcher" wrote:
You're looking for info in all the wrong places. Watch the
commodity
traders and the price of oil and refined products. Somehow they
seem
to know.......

Cynical cuss aren't youG.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

"Frank Boettcher" wrote:
You're looking for info in all the wrong places. Watch the
commodity
traders and the price of oil and refined products. Somehow they
seem
to know.......

Cynical cuss aren't youG.

High ranking stature, honestly obtained ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Damn The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 7 October 5th 06 12:40 AM
Damn,Damn The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 0 September 4th 06 10:23 AM
Damn :-( The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 26 August 18th 06 05:20 PM
Ohhh ..... DAMN!! Damn, damn, damn. Broke a gear! Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 9 August 11th 05 07:37 PM
Damn!! ben UK diy 0 July 24th 05 02:51 PM