Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_4_] John Grossbohlin[_4_] is offline

Default Damn... dropped it

"woodchucker" wrote in message

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

Excellent news, John. That saves three mortgage payments, eh?

It sure seemed that way! ;~)

I think the worst part of fixing it was the notion of taking a file to
an L-N plane... Not sure why considering I've taken files and stones to
other relatively expensive items and haven't butchered anything (yet).

John

Its not the butchering, its the pain of having something that was pristine
and treasured now imperfect that bothered you. Been there...

Once you get over it, it is actually a better tool, since you are not
afraid of dinging it again.

I was like that with my first L-N plane... a 4. After that one I just used
them and let my kids use the stuff... planes, saws, etc. I figured out that
the kids are much more interested if they enjoy success. I recall the dull,
crappy old hand tools of my grandfather's that had been neglected and abused
by the time I got to them... from trying to use them I was of the mind that
you NEEDED power tools to do woodworking as hand tools were useless. ;~)
After my stint at Colonial Williamsburg I had a different opinion.

RE L-N stuff, I bought a 5 simply because my kids couldn't handle the 7 and
the York pitch 4 is all wrong for almost all planning--too specialized.
Funny thing about the 5 is it became my most used and favorite plane... even
if it was for the kids!

John
....whom has mastered the art of the sale.