Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sketchup help

This is probably really basic but I'm stuck.
I've added the CutList plugin to SU and can't figure out
how to get CL to recognize that I'm using sheet goods.
I know it expects each components material to have
sheet/mdf/etc in the name - but how do I assign a material
to a component?
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/5/2013 6:57 PM, Artemus wrote:
This is probably really basic but I'm stuck.
I've added the CutList plugin to SU and can't figure out
how to get CL to recognize that I'm using sheet goods.
I know it expects each components material to have
sheet/mdf/etc in the name - but how do I assign a material
to a component?
Art

Assign a material to a component by "painting" it with a material.
select the material, click the little paint bucket and click on the
component. Then rename the material, panel, plywood, sheet, etc, the
suggested name by the plug in program. You could rename the material
oak plywood for instance. You can have several different materials in a
drawing.

FWIW you can use the cutlist plug in to generate a file to import
components into CutList Plus also.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
On 1/5/2013 6:57 PM, Artemus wrote:
This is probably really basic but I'm stuck.
I've added the CutList plugin to SU and can't figure out
how to get CL to recognize that I'm using sheet goods.
I know it expects each components material to have
sheet/mdf/etc in the name - but how do I assign a material
to a component?
Art

Assign a material to a component by "painting" it with a material. select the
material, click the little paint bucket and click on the component. Then rename the
material, panel, plywood, sheet, etc, the suggested name by the plug in program.
You could rename the material oak plywood for instance. You can have several
different materials in a drawing.

FWIW you can use the cutlist plug in to generate a file to import components into
CutList Plus also.

That did it! Thanks.
Any idea why some of my components are showing up in CL with the
wrong thickness? All other dimensions seem to be correct.
All components are aligned orthogonal with the axis.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Artemus" wrote:
[...]

How far off are the dimension thicknesses?
I can tell you that if planes are not parallel, although they might appear
to be, they will be imported at the larger dimension. For instance if a
3/4" thick panel is accidentally drawn thicker on one end say 13/16" it
will be imported at that thickness. The thickness might be fine on one end
but not the other and may be hard to notice visually.

Sometimes the cure is to delete the suspect component and try importing
again.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Artemus" wrote:
[...]

A bit more here.. For 6 sided components, a typical piece of wood or panel,
draw a single surface with 4 lines. Give it thickness using the push/pull
tool. Still better is to use the rectangle tool to form a side and then
use the push/pull
tool to add the other 5 sides to the object. These steps speed drawing and
help to insure that opposite side/planes are parallel. Lastly use your
mouse to begin lines, rectangles, and to push or pull and then type in the
exact distance.

Posted to rec.woodworking

sdf

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

A bit more here.. For 6 sided components, a typical piece of wood or panel,
draw a single surface with 4 lines. Give it thickness using the push/pull
tool. Still better is to use the rectangle tool to form a side and then
use the push/pull
tool to add the other 5 sides to the object. These steps speed drawing and
help to insure that opposite side/planes are parallel. Lastly use your
mouse to begin lines, rectangles, and to push or pull and then type in the
exact distance.

The offending parts are 6 sided and I created them as you suggest.

After playing around I discovered that if dimension lines (not sure if
that is the right name for the arrows and number that show length) are
part of the component and not on the face(i.e. perpendicular to it), then
the distance it stands off the face will be added to the thickness of the
panel by CL.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Artemus" wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

[...]

That is probably correct. The import takes the entire component into
consideration. The dimension lines should be added after the object is made
into a component and not be a part of a component. I like to also add
dimensions on their own layer so that I can hide them.
And yes the lines with arrows are dimension lines, the lines that associate
a dimension line to the object typically at a 90 degree angle at each arrow
are dimension extension lines.

I have a handy plug- in that lets me select a component on the drawing and
running the plug -in brings a pop up window that tells me all dimensions of
the component. Handy to verify dimensions with out having to actually
dimension the component.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/7/2013 5:04 PM, Artemus wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

[...]

Solution:

Double click on the component|Hit Edit|Select the offending
dimension|Choose Edit/Cut|

Close the editing of the component (just use Select tool somewhere on
the background)

Then choose Edit/Paste In Place

Now your dimension will no longer be a part of your component, but will
still be in the proper location.

As you've noticed, making your dimensions part of your components is a
bad idea.

Ideally you want all dimension on a "Layer" of their own (and then
assigning said Layer to a "Scene"), but that will come after you get a
bit more proficiency with the program.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/7/2013 5:40 PM, Leon wrote:
The import takes the entire component into
consideration. The dimension lines should be added after the object is made
into a component and not be a part of a component. I like to also add
dimensions on their own layer so that I can hide them.

When I hit reply, your reply was not yet there. You must of walked out
of the shop the same time I did.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
"Artemus" wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

[...]

Sounds like I need to get up to speed on layers.
Do you have a link to that handy plugin?
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

[...]

So sounds like a lot of your organization is like autocadd where you
use layers ect. Your trying to track things in your drawing in the
smallest possible component so when you discover an error the
correction hopefully is a simpler correction.
Posted to rec.woodworking

http://support.google.com/sketchup/b...n&answer=38572

https://sites.google.com/site/sketch.../faster/layers

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Artemus" wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message
"Artemus" wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

[...]

I'll take a look for it. Once I add a plugin to the plugin directory I
forget about it. Let me take a look for it. I probably got it from
smustard.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/7/2013 9:33 PM, Leon wrote:
"Artemus" wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message
"Artemus" wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

Sounds like I need to get up to speed on layers.
Do you have a link to that handy plugin?
Art

I'll take a look for it. Once I add a plugin to the plugin directory I
forget about it. Let me take a look for it. I probably got it from
smustard.

OK this refers to the plugin, Get Dimensions. This link however has a
plugin tool bar with a tool that serves the same basic function. I have
not tired it yet but will shortly.

That said the one I am using is getdimensions.rb .

I could not find a link to it but I could email the file to you if you
wish. Or try out the on in the link, it is probably better.

The getdimensions does not have an icon but shows up in the Plugins drop
down menu. I assigned a short cut key to access it using CTRL D.

I assigned D to start the Dimension command, it think,,, maybe it was
already a short cut.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Might have been nice had I provided the link.....

http://www.srww.com/blog/?p=1736
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/7/2013 7:11 PM, Mike M wrote:

So sounds like a lot of your organization is like autocadd where you
use layers ect. Your trying to track things in your drawing in the
smallest possible component so when you discover an error the
correction hopefully is a simpler correction.

http://support.google.com/sketchup/b...n&answer=38572

https://sites.google.com/site/sketch.../faster/layers

Your so far ahead of me. 8-) I'm still back on the tutorials trying
to get the basics down.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/7/2013 9:33 PM, Leon wrote:
My shop is closer,

Yep ... 20' door to door, through ice, snow and uphill both ways.. LOL

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/8/2013 1:34 AM, Mike M wrote:

Your so far ahead of me. 8-) I'm still back on the tutorials trying
to get the basics down.

Have heart ... you really only need to know about 30%, or less, of SU's
capability in order to fully utilize the program for woodworking projects.

Many folks simply miss the reality of learning software that can
increase your productivity, thinking that you have to become a
proverbial "expert" with the software to get any benefit.

That is simply not true ... all your need to do to is master those
elements that allow you to use the software to suit your particular needs.

Just learn to draw the damned parts to your project individually ... a
woodworking project is mostly nothing more than a collection of simply
"boards", after all.

That perceived "uphill battle" is not nearly as challenging ... IOW,
learn to draw a damned tubafour and you're 90% there.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/8/2013 9:11 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/8/2013 1:34 AM, Mike M wrote:

[...]

To add to what Swingman is saying about drawing the parts, typical 2D
CAD is not much different than drawing with paper and pencil. Nothing
is going to be separated and moved around so it does not matter if
incomplete components of the drawings are attached to other incomplete
components of a drawing.

With Sketchup all parts are going to stick together until you make a
group of lines into a component/part of the project. Once those lines
are made into a component nothing sticks to them any more. If other
lines touch the component and you move the component the other lines do
not move or stretch with the component. But until you make a group of
lines into a component all lines will move and or stretch with other
attached lines.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/8/2013 8:55 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/7/2013 9:33 PM, Leon wrote:
My shop is closer,

Yep ... 20' door to door, through ice, snow and uphill both ways.. LOL

And coons! don't for get the coons.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 09:11:55 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 1/8/2013 1:34 AM, Mike M wrote:

[...]

Understand what your saying & it was that way with Autocadd, I learned
how to do what I needed for doing electrical plans and never was an
expert. I'm still under the 30%. I'm just getting comfortable with
the 3D aspect of drawing and use of the most common drawing tools. I'm
slowly moving forward but at least the frustratiion is still very low.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/8/2013 12:52 PM, Mike M wrote:
I'm just getting comfortable with
the 3D aspect of drawing and use of the most common drawing tools. I'm
slowly moving forward but at least the frustratiion is still very low.

Two most frustrating things in SU:

~ When things you draw stick together ... solution: make sure you make
everything you draw either a "component" or "group" _before_ you draw
something else that touches it.

~ Moving one component/group from a different part of the screen to
place it against another component/group ... solution: when you find
out, let me know too!

just kidding

Although the latter does often bite most of in the butt, even with a lot
of experience, there is a feature in SU know as the "inference" engine,
which can be a big help when trying to join components/groups drawn on a
different plane/axis. Locking (constraint) this inference with a
keystroke can often help when moving objects around:

http://support.google.com/sketchup/b...n&answer=70142

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/8/2013 9:11 AM, Swingman wrote:

Just learn to draw the damned parts to your project individually ... a
woodworking project is mostly nothing more than a collection of simply
"boards", after all.

Oh, now that makes sense. My previous excursions into SU had been so
frustrating had just punted even trying anything else w/ it.

Mayhaps I might try again w/ a different idea on how to approach it
altho I'm still pretty much a "few sketches on a piece o' paper, then go
work it out" kinda' guy...then again, I've quit doing big, complex stuff
that has to fit a hundred thousand pieces together, too, in favor of
smaller stuff can get done in a few days at the outside given that
farming is now the prime activity that requires first dibs...

The time at which was doing so much of the architectural work in
Lynchburg predated the PC time frame by a sizable number of years so it
was a _lot_ of boardwork there. I don't know what the Colonial's used
in Williamsburg, say...altho come to think of it I don't recall ever
seeing any _original_ working drawings on any of the visits there. Lots
of later-made from the existing work, but not original (at least that
I've seen--maybe they're too rare to ever be on display, dunno...).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 13:30:57 -0600, Swingman wrote:

[...]

I have used the inference feature in one tutorial and it does save
having to zoom in to see where you actually are. I know me well
enough to know that if I start jumping into far I'll get frustrated
and stop. I just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Now if
I could just find my cadd drawing of where to dig to pump the septic
tank. I've got a backhoe but would prefer to hand dig as it's not
more then a foot beneath grade, and well S*** happens if applying to
big a tool.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 13:30:57 -0600, Swingman wrote:

~ When things you draw stick together ... solution: make sure you make
everything you draw either a "component" or "group" _before_ you draw
something else that touches it.

OK, now I gotta ask...

I've been using SU for some time and am reasonably proficient (30%
mark). What is the difference between a component and a group? ISTM
that they're two (different) ways of doing exactly the same thing.
When would I use one over the other?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/15/2013 3:33 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 13:30:57 -0600, Swingman wrote:

~ When things you draw stick together ... solution: make sure you make
everything you draw either a "component" or "group" _before_ you draw
something else that touches it.

OK, now I gotta ask...

I've been using SU for some time and am reasonably proficient (30%
mark). What is the difference between a component and a group? ISTM
that they're two (different) ways of doing exactly the same thing.
When would I use one over the other?

Hard to beat this definition, so I'll post the link rather than trying
to paraphrase it:

http://www.sketchuptutorials.net/201...us-components/

Basically "Groups" are useful to logically group a single collection of
individual geometry, like assembling six faces into a box, a brick, etc.

A "Component" is appropriate when you want to reuse the exact same
component/collection of individual geometry, multiple times (studs,
beams, stiles, rails, etc.)

Components can also attach themselves automatically to other geometry
(faces, horizontal faces only, etc) and they can also be easily stored
and reused in other files.

The difference can also be an important factor in file size and
performance of the model and computer:

With "groups", each copy of a group added to the model is stored in the
model, thus multiple copies of a "group" add to the file size.

With "components", there is only one of each unique component stored in
the model, all copies of that component inserted in a model are simply
an instance of that one stored component.

NOTE: as stated previously in another thread ... it is well to note that
the use of multiple "nested" components in a model can indeed slow
SketchUp's performance ... regardless of file size.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

to paraphrase it:

http://www.sketchuptutorials.net/201...us-components/

Basically "Groups" are useful to logically group a single collection of
individual geometry, like assembling six faces into a box, a brick, etc.

A "Component" is appropriate when you want to reuse the exact same
component/collection of individual geometry, multiple times (studs,
beams, stiles, rails, etc.)

But then if you cut a stud, it cuts them all. ;-/ That's the way I
was using them, then found that I was "making separate" every one
anyway.

Components can also attach themselves automatically to other geometry
(faces, horizontal faces only, etc) and they can also be easily stored
and reused in other files.

That's an area that I'm totally lost; reuse. I just make "components"
their own files and import them. There has to be a better way to make
a "library" of components.

The difference can also be an important factor in file size and
performance of the model and computer:

With "groups", each copy of a group added to the model is stored in the
model, thus multiple copies of a "group" add to the file size.

I see that. The same deal if components are made separate.

With "components", there is only one of each unique component stored in
the model, all copies of that component inserted in a model are simply
an instance of that one stored component.

I see that, too. This brings up another point. Of what use is the
"name" of the component? Can it be edited?

NOTE: as stated previously in another thread ... it is well to note that
the use of multiple "nested" components in a model can indeed slow
SketchUp's performance ... regardless of file size.

It sure makes work easier if one can hide them while working
elsewhere, though. I always like to work in a hierarchy, if possible.
Unfortunately, it looks like only about half of what's needed to make
the hierarchy really work is in there. ...or at least tripped across,
yet. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

to paraphrase it:

http://www.sketchuptutorials.net/201...us-components/

Basically "Groups" are useful to logically group a single collection of
individual geometry, like assembling six faces into a box, a brick, etc.

A "Component" is appropriate when you want to reuse the exact same
component/collection of individual geometry, multiple times (studs,
beams, stiles, rails, etc.)

But then if you cut a stud, it cuts them all. ;-/ That's the way I
was using them, then found that I was "making separate" every one
anyway.

Do you mean "Make Unique"--that will allow you to change the properties
of only
a partticular instance of a component.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/15/2013 5:15 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 16:28:02 -0600, Swingman wrote:

A "Component" is appropriate when you want to reuse the exact same
component/collection of individual geometry, multiple times (studs,
beams, stiles, rails, etc.)

But then if you cut a stud, it cuts them all. ;-/ That's the way I
was using them, then found that I was "making separate" every one
anyway.

Not necessarily, right click on the one component that you want to
change differently than others, and select "Make Unique".

You can then change that one without changing the other like components.

Components can also attach themselves automatically to other geometry
(faces, horizontal faces only, etc) and they can also be easily stored
and reused in other files.

That's an area that I'm totally lost; reuse. I just make "components"
their own files and import them. There has to be a better way to make
a "library" of components.

3D warehouse is a vast library of millions of components:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/

The difference can also be an important factor in file size and
performance of the model and computer:

With "groups", each copy of a group added to the model is stored in the
model, thus multiple copies of a "group" add to the file size.

I see that. The same deal if components are made separate.

Nope ... there is only one single instance of each unique component in
SketchUp file ... all "copies" of that component are 'inserted
instances' of that unique component, and as such, are not stored in the
file as a copy, and therefore do not add to the file size.

With "components", there is only one of each unique component stored in
the model, all copies of that component inserted in a model are simply
an instance of that one stored component.

I see that, too. This brings up another point. Of what use is the
"name" of the component? Can it be edited?

Sure ... right click|Entity Info|Double click "Definition Name" and
change away.

NOTE: as stated previously in another thread ... it is well to note that
the use of multiple "nested" components in a model can indeed slow
SketchUp's performance ... regardless of file size.

It sure makes work easier if one can hide them while working
elsewhere, though. I always like to work in a hierarchy, if possible.
Unfortunately, it looks like only about half of what's needed to make
the hierarchy really work is in there. ...or at least tripped across,
yet. ;-)

In a word, "Layers" ... learn to use layers effectively and you will
find that everything that is needed is already there.

A word of caution with layers ... until you are absolutely proficient
with all aspects of the program, and I do meant obtain 'expert' status,
ONLY do your modeling on Layer0!!

This is extremely important because geometry hidden and/or geometry/
elements/artifacts/ assigned to unseen layers can cause you all kinds of
grief when drawing and assembling models.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 18:29:51 -0500, Bill

to paraphrase it:

http://www.sketchuptutorials.net/201...us-components/

Basically "Groups" are useful to logically group a single collection of
individual geometry, like assembling six faces into a box, a brick, etc.

A "Component" is appropriate when you want to reuse the exact same
component/collection of individual geometry, multiple times (studs,
beams, stiles, rails, etc.)

But then if you cut a stud, it cuts them all. ;-/ That's the way I
was using them, then found that I was "making separate" every one
anyway.

Do you mean "Make Unique"--that will allow you to change the properties
of only
a partticular instance of a component.

Yeah, that's the one. I'm sorta out of practice (my shop is still
packed).
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 18:10:36 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 1/15/2013 5:15 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 16:28:02 -0600, Swingman wrote:

A "Component" is appropriate when you want to reuse the exact same
component/collection of individual geometry, multiple times (studs,
beams, stiles, rails, etc.)

But then if you cut a stud, it cuts them all. ;-/ That's the way I
was using them, then found that I was "making separate" every one
anyway.

Not necessarily, right click on the one component that you want to
change differently than others, and select "Make Unique".

You can then change that one without changing the other like components.

Right. Now you have two components. That takes more storage, no? No
better than two groups?

Components can also attach themselves automatically to other geometry
(faces, horizontal faces only, etc) and they can also be easily stored
and reused in other files.

That's an area that I'm totally lost; reuse. I just make "components"
their own files and import them. There has to be a better way to make
a "library" of components.

3D warehouse is a vast library of millions of components:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/

Right. I want that on my disk.

The difference can also be an important factor in file size and
performance of the model and computer:

With "groups", each copy of a group added to the model is stored in the
model, thus multiple copies of a "group" add to the file size.

I see that. The same deal if components are made separate.

Nope ... there is only one single instance of each unique component in
SketchUp file ... all "copies" of that component are 'inserted
instances' of that unique component, and as such, are not stored in the
file as a copy, and therefore do not add to the file size.

Right, but once you make one "unique" doesn't that make it a new
component? ....

.....Hmm, after trying it again, perhaps not.

With "components", there is only one of each unique component stored in
the model, all copies of that component inserted in a model are simply
an instance of that one stored component.

I see that, too. This brings up another point. Of what use is the
"name" of the component? Can it be edited?

Sure ... right click|Entity Info|Double click "Definition Name" and
change away.

Cool. Now what good is it?

NOTE: as stated previously in another thread ... it is well to note that
the use of multiple "nested" components in a model can indeed slow
SketchUp's performance ... regardless of file size.

It sure makes work easier if one can hide them while working
elsewhere, though. I always like to work in a hierarchy, if possible.
Unfortunately, it looks like only about half of what's needed to make
the hierarchy really work is in there. ...or at least tripped across,
yet. ;-)

In a word, "Layers" ... learn to use layers effectively and you will
find that everything that is needed is already there.

I've run into "Layers". It hurt.

A word of caution with layers ... until you are absolutely proficient
with all aspects of the program, and I do meant obtain 'expert' status,
ONLY do your modeling on Layer0!!

Well, that's where I am. ;-) I'll soon be back at it, though.

This is extremely important because geometry hidden and/or geometry/
elements/artifacts/ assigned to unseen layers can cause you all kinds of
grief when drawing and assembling models.

Hmm, one day I'll understand what you just said. ;-) Are you saying
that it's easy to get multiple objects living in the same space? ...or
something more sinister?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/15/2013 5:15 PM, wrote:
[...]

Something else to play with. Often you need mirror images of a component,
some times mirror images of the mirror images. Copy the component, scale
it with a factor of "-1" and you get a mirror image without having to copy
and rotate. Now if you edit the original all mirrored copies update as a
mirror image also.

Foe example drawer sides. Draw one and copy then scale the opposite side.
If you add a groove for a bottom
or rabbet on the end the scale copy gets the changes where you want them
also.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Something else to play with. Often you need mirror images of a
component, some times mirror images of the mirror images. Copy the
component, scale it with a factor of "-1" and you get a mirror image
without having to copy and rotate. Now if you edit the original all
mirrored copies update as a mirror image also.

Foe example drawer sides. Draw one and copy then scale the opposite
side. If you add a groove for a bottom
or rabbet on the end the scale copy gets the changes where you want
them also.

Oye! I've got to make the time to go back and copy all of the posts like
this into some kind of a library. I know I won't remember this crap when
the time comes that I need it. It all makes so much sense now, but...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/15/2013 5:15 PM, wrote:
[...]

Ok, but can you scale with a factor of -1 in one dimension only? If
your groove doesn't go through, does it get it end up still in the
"back", say. IOW, if your drawer slide stops 2" short of the drawer
front, does the groove now stop 2" short of the drawer back, on the
top instead of the bottom (after flipping)?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Maybe you should try it, and tell us?
It would just be a 10 minutelearning-experiment, right?
To be honest, some of my attempts at using this feature have
not been successes(in those case, I've given-in and worked around it).
Ithink
I'm getting closer to "getting it", butI am not at a level to dispense
advice.
IIRC,I assessed my SU-Rating as 2 out of 10. : )

Cheers,
Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

w just said. ;-) Are you saying
[...]

Select the component and then click in the scale icon. You will see small
cubes form around the edges and corners and middle ff the sides. Grab the
cube in the middle of a side and drag it towards the center to indicate the
direction that you want to reverse the component. Then enter "-1". Now
everything changed on that component will show up as a mirror image on the
other component, either one.

If your drawer side grove stops 2" short of the back the scaled component
side will also have that grove stopped 2" Short. You literally get a mirror
copy.

You can scale in any direction, you can do the same for the front and back
of the drawer. It all depends on which cube you grab/ click on and drag.
Experiment with it. I never draw opposite sided components, I copy and
scale. Now if you need to add a little extra to the scaled copy or the
original, right click, make unique, and make your modifications. The
mirroring will not continue from that point.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:
Leon wrote:

Something else to play with. Often you need mirror images of a
component, some times mirror images of the mirror images. Copy the
component, scale it with a factor of "-1" and you get a mirror image
without having to copy and rotate. Now if you edit the original all
mirrored copies update as a mirror image also.

Foe example drawer sides. Draw one and copy then scale the opposite
side. If you add a groove for a bottom
or rabbet on the end the scale copy gets the changes where you want
them also.

Oye! I've got to make the time to go back and copy all of the posts like
this into some kind of a library. I know I won't remember this crap when
the time comes that I need it. It all makes so much sense now, but...

Mike, let me tell you a secret.. I start every one of my drawings with the
same drawing. The name of that drawing/file is 1Start.skp and it is write
protected so that I don't accidentally delete it. This drawing is nothing
more than hints and reminders of things that I don't use often and that I
sometimes have trouble remembering. It may just be a short note or a simple
illustration to serve as a reminder. I see the hints every time I start a
new drawing by beginning with this file. Basically I can't misplace my
hints and notes.

When I open that drawing/ file I select everything, hit delete, and begin
my actual drawing and save as another unique file name.

Sketchup to the Max Pat Barber[_2_] Woodworking 2 May 11th 12 12:38 AM
Second SketchUp Bill Woodworking Plans and Photos 3 October 9th 09 12:08 AM
First SketchUp Bill Woodworking Plans and Photos 3 October 7th 09 03:47 PM
Sketchup 7 Leon Woodworking 80 March 2nd 09 02:51 PM
If you use Sketchup Paul Franklin Woodworking 4 January 17th 09 03:22 AM