Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sketchup help

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 16:28:02 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 1/15/2013 3:33 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 13:30:57 -0600, Swingman wrote:

~ When things you draw stick together ... solution: make sure you make
everything you draw either a "component" or "group" _before_ you draw
something else that touches it.

OK, now I gotta ask...

I've been using SU for some time and am reasonably proficient (30%
mark). What is the difference between a component and a group? ISTM
that they're two (different) ways of doing exactly the same thing.
When would I use one over the other?

Hard to beat this definition, so I'll post the link rather than trying
to paraphrase it:

http://www.sketchuptutorials.net/201...us-components/

Basically "Groups" are useful to logically group a single collection of
individual geometry, like assembling six faces into a box, a brick, etc.

A "Component" is appropriate when you want to reuse the exact same
component/collection of individual geometry, multiple times (studs,
beams, stiles, rails, etc.)

But then if you cut a stud, it cuts them all. ;-/ That's the way I
was using them, then found that I was "making separate" every one
anyway.

Components can also attach themselves automatically to other geometry
(faces, horizontal faces only, etc) and they can also be easily stored
and reused in other files.

That's an area that I'm totally lost; reuse. I just make "components"
their own files and import them. There has to be a better way to make
a "library" of components.

The difference can also be an important factor in file size and
performance of the model and computer:

With "groups", each copy of a group added to the model is stored in the
model, thus multiple copies of a "group" add to the file size.

I see that. The same deal if components are made separate.

With "components", there is only one of each unique component stored in
the model, all copies of that component inserted in a model are simply
an instance of that one stored component.

I see that, too. This brings up another point. Of what use is the
"name" of the component? Can it be edited?

NOTE: as stated previously in another thread ... it is well to note that
the use of multiple "nested" components in a model can indeed slow
SketchUp's performance ... regardless of file size.

It sure makes work easier if one can hide them while working
elsewhere, though. I always like to work in a hierarchy, if possible.
Unfortunately, it looks like only about half of what's needed to make
the hierarchy really work is in there. ...or at least tripped across,
yet. ;-)