Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sketchup help

This is probably really basic but I'm stuck.
I've added the CutList plugin to SU and can't figure out
how to get CL to recognize that I'm using sheet goods.
I know it expects each components material to have
sheet/mdf/etc in the name - but how do I assign a material
to a component?
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/5/2013 6:57 PM, Artemus wrote:
This is probably really basic but I'm stuck.
I've added the CutList plugin to SU and can't figure out
how to get CL to recognize that I'm using sheet goods.
I know it expects each components material to have
sheet/mdf/etc in the name - but how do I assign a material
to a component?
Art

Assign a material to a component by "painting" it with a material.
select the material, click the little paint bucket and click on the
component. Then rename the material, panel, plywood, sheet, etc, the
suggested name by the plug in program. You could rename the material
oak plywood for instance. You can have several different materials in a
drawing.

FWIW you can use the cutlist plug in to generate a file to import
components into CutList Plus also.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
On 1/5/2013 6:57 PM, Artemus wrote:
This is probably really basic but I'm stuck.
I've added the CutList plugin to SU and can't figure out
how to get CL to recognize that I'm using sheet goods.
I know it expects each components material to have
sheet/mdf/etc in the name - but how do I assign a material
to a component?
Art

Assign a material to a component by "painting" it with a material. select the
material, click the little paint bucket and click on the component. Then rename the
material, panel, plywood, sheet, etc, the suggested name by the plug in program.
You could rename the material oak plywood for instance. You can have several
different materials in a drawing.

FWIW you can use the cutlist plug in to generate a file to import components into
CutList Plus also.

That did it! Thanks.
Any idea why some of my components are showing up in CL with the
wrong thickness? All other dimensions seem to be correct.
All components are aligned orthogonal with the axis.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Artemus" wrote:
[...]

How far off are the dimension thicknesses?
I can tell you that if planes are not parallel, although they might appear
to be, they will be imported at the larger dimension. For instance if a
3/4" thick panel is accidentally drawn thicker on one end say 13/16" it
will be imported at that thickness. The thickness might be fine on one end
but not the other and may be hard to notice visually.

Sometimes the cure is to delete the suspect component and try importing
again.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Artemus" wrote:
[...]

A bit more here.. For 6 sided components, a typical piece of wood or panel,
draw a single surface with 4 lines. Give it thickness using the push/pull
tool. Still better is to use the rectangle tool to form a side and then
use the push/pull
tool to add the other 5 sides to the object. These steps speed drawing and
help to insure that opposite side/planes are parallel. Lastly use your
mouse to begin lines, rectangles, and to push or pull and then type in the
exact distance.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

A bit more here.. For 6 sided components, a typical piece of wood or panel,
draw a single surface with 4 lines. Give it thickness using the push/pull
tool. Still better is to use the rectangle tool to form a side and then
use the push/pull
tool to add the other 5 sides to the object. These steps speed drawing and
help to insure that opposite side/planes are parallel. Lastly use your
mouse to begin lines, rectangles, and to push or pull and then type in the
exact distance.

The offending parts are 6 sided and I created them as you suggest.

After playing around I discovered that if dimension lines (not sure if
that is the right name for the arrows and number that show length) are
part of the component and not on the face(i.e. perpendicular to it), then
the distance it stands off the face will be added to the thickness of the
panel by CL.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

sdf

Sketchup to the Max Pat Barber[_2_] Woodworking 2 May 11th 12 12:38 AM
Second SketchUp Bill Woodworking Plans and Photos 3 October 9th 09 12:08 AM
First SketchUp Bill Woodworking Plans and Photos 3 October 7th 09 03:47 PM
Sketchup 7 Leon Woodworking 80 March 2nd 09 02:51 PM
If you use Sketchup Paul Franklin Woodworking 4 January 17th 09 03:22 AM