Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Sketchup help

On 1/7/2013 5:04 PM, Artemus wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

A bit more here.. For 6 sided components, a typical piece of wood or panel,
draw a single surface with 4 lines. Give it thickness using the push/pull
tool. Still better is to use the rectangle tool to form a side and then
use the push/pull
tool to add the other 5 sides to the object. These steps speed drawing and
help to insure that opposite side/planes are parallel. Lastly use your
mouse to begin lines, rectangles, and to push or pull and then type in the
exact distance.

The offending parts are 6 sided and I created them as you suggest.

After playing around I discovered that if dimension lines (not sure if
that is the right name for the arrows and number that show length) are
part of the component and not on the face(i.e. perpendicular to it), then
the distance it stands off the face will be added to the thickness of the
panel by CL.
Art

Solution:

Double click on the component|Hit Edit|Select the offending
dimension|Choose Edit/Cut|

Close the editing of the component (just use Select tool somewhere on
the background)

Then choose Edit/Paste In Place

Now your dimension will no longer be a part of your component, but will
still be in the proper location.

As you've noticed, making your dimensions part of your components is a
bad idea.

Ideally you want all dimension on a "Layer" of their own (and then
assigning said Layer to a "Scene"), but that will come after you get a
bit more proficiency with the program.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net