Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sketchup help

Bill wrote:

I think I'm getting closer to "getting it", butI am not at a level to
dispense
advice. IIRC,I assessed my SU-Rating as 2 out of 10. : )

Cheers,
Bill

I hear ya! After finally succeeding at creating a model that actually
depicts what I want it to, and mostly works (you can rotate it 360 degrees
without too many anomolies...), I think I've hit a rating above 0. There
are some quirks that I don't yet understand in my model, but I'm still
farting around to see if I can figure some of them out on my own. It most
certainly requires you look at this in a different way than just drawing the
idea. And... too often, once I figure some quirk out, I've tried so many
different things that I can't remember which one worked!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

I think I'm getting closer to "getting it", butI am not at a level to
dispense
advice. IIRC,I assessed my SU-Rating as 2 out of 10. : )

Cheers,
Bill

I hear ya! After finally succeeding at creating a model that actually
depicts what I want it to, and mostly works (you can rotate it 360
degrees without too many anomolies...), I think I've hit a rating
above 0. There are some quirks that I don't yet understand in my
model, but I'm still farting around to see if I can figure some of
them out on my own. It most certainly requires you look at this in a
different way than just drawing the idea. And... too often, once I
figure some quirk out, I've tried so many different things that I
can't remember which one worked!

Those would be anomalies. Very similar to anomolies, only different...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Mike, let me tell you a secret.. I start every one of my drawings
with the same drawing. The name of that drawing/file is 1Start.skp
and it is write protected so that I don't accidentally delete it.
This drawing is nothing more than hints and reminders of things that
I don't use often and that I sometimes have trouble remembering. It
may just be a short note or a simple illustration to serve as a
reminder. I see the hints every time I start a new drawing by
beginning with this file. Basically I can't misplace my hints and
notes.

When I open that drawing/ file I select everything, hit delete, and
begin my actual drawing and save as another unique file name.

I like that idea Leon. Think I'm gonna steal it.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/15/2013 11:06 PM, Leon wrote:
Mike, let me tell you a secret.. I start every one of my drawings with the
same drawing. The name of that drawing/file is 1Start.skp and it is write
protected so that I don't accidentally delete it. This drawing is nothing
more than hints and reminders of things that I don't use often and that I
sometimes have trouble remembering. It may just be a short note or a simple
illustration to serve as a reminder. I see the hints every time I start a
new drawing by beginning with this file. Basically I can't misplace my
hints and notes.

Alternately, you can save that file as a Template, with components and
text, and you can either set it as default to open every time just by
opening SU, or chose it from Window|Preference.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/16/2013 7:57 AM, Leon wrote:
Swingman wrote:
On 1/16/2013 7:34 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/15/2013 10:27 PM, wrote:

Ok, but can you scale with a factor of -1 in one dimension only?

Yes. Another handy scale feature is that you can hold down CTRL while
scaling and just scale from the center of the geometry.

Damn ... meant to add to the above before posting that if want to scale
"uniformly" (all parts maintain their relative size), hold down the SHIFT
key while using the scale tool.

Hummmmmmm I scale uniform often but I don't think I hold any thing down.
IIRC I just select the component, click scale, and type a number. I'll have
to revisit that.

Try that with a non-dynamic component, like a chair or table and you
will find that the parts, not on that axis, distort/don't scale
uniformly ... unless of course it is a mirror with the -1 scale factor.

With dynamic components, the programmer can hide the scaling arrows only
on the axis he wants to allow scaling, say in the width of a cabinet,
and then program all the components that make up the cabinet to scale
appropriately with whatever scale the user chooses.

If you have one of my kitchen cabinet dynamic components, try scaling
one and see.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...&pre vstart=0

In short, if you want a totally uniform scaling of an object, that is
not a dynamic component, and in all axis, hold the CTRL key down while
scaling and all parts will scale and end up the same relative size.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/16/2013 10:02 AM, Bill wrote:
Swingman wrote:
On 1/15/2013 10:27 PM, wrote:

Ok, but can you scale with a factor of -1 in one dimension only?

Yes. Another handy scale feature is that you can hold down CTRL while
scaling and just scale from the center of the geometry.

How come if you scale a cube (or similar) with a factor of -1 overand
over, it will just "mosey on down the road"? I mean, in general, what
does this operation do to the figure and/or its position (besides "mosey
it" ; ) )?

Doing a scale with the Scale Tool with a factor of -1, twice to the same
component, and you end up with a component the same as the original with
which you started ... except it is now twice the distance further along
the axis you scaled on, as the width of the component.

Here, you may find this helpful ...(be sure to look at the other
definition option links to the left of the main paragraph):

http://support.google.com/sketchup/b...07&ctx=top ic

Keep in mind that "Flip Along", in the context menu when you right click
on an object, is another easy way to flip/mirror geometry, except that
you must keep in mind the AXIS upon which you want to flip, when using
that feature.

Many folks prefer to use Scale Tool|-1, so they don't have to trial and
error to get the same results with the Flip Along feature.

Personally, I prefer to use "Flip Along" for most instances, like with
rails and legs with mortises in them, etc.

YMMV ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 1/15/2013 10:27 PM, wrote:

[...]

I never tried Flip Along. It's looks really handy for everyone
designing symetrical projects.

For all the new users reading, it should be pointed out that you can do
a LOT with just a few basic SU features.

Personally, I prefer to use "Flip Along" for most instances, like with
rails and legs with mortises in them, etc.

YMMV ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

For all the new users reading, it should be pointed out that you can
do a LOT with just a few basic SU features.

Indeed you can. Experimenting with some of the features reveals just how
much you can do. Thank god for "undo"! Some of these features are going to
require more thinking about and/or more playing with than I have time for
right now.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:
Bill wrote:

For all the new users reading, it should be pointed out that you can
do a LOT with just a few basic SU features.

Indeed you can. Experimenting with some of the features reveals just how
much you can do. Thank god for "undo"! Some of these features are going to
require more thinking about and/or more playing with than I have time for
right now.

Ok , short cut hint. Thank god for CTRL Z. :-)

Move. M
Copy M CTRL.
Copy more than once. M CTRL distance, enter, 2,3,4...times, enter
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote:
Bill wrote:

For all the new users reading, it should be pointed out that you can
do a LOT with just a few basic SU features.

Indeed you can. Experimenting with some of the features reveals
just how much you can do. Thank god for "undo"! Some of these
features are going to require more thinking about and/or more
playing with than I have time for right now.

Ok , short cut hint. Thank god for CTRL Z. :-)

Oh yeah - I use CNTRL-Z - I just said "undo" because that's what it does.

Move. M
Copy M CTRL.
Copy more than once. M CTRL distance, enter, 2,3,4...times, enter

I hadn't used the move shortcut yet. Saw it in the menu, but just never
used it.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:
Leon wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote:
Bill wrote:

For all the new users reading, it should be pointed out that you can
do a LOT with just a few basic SU features.

Indeed you can. Experimenting with some of the features reveals
just how much you can do. Thank god for "undo"! Some of these
features are going to require more thinking about and/or more
playing with than I have time for right now.

Ok , short cut hint. Thank god for CTRL Z. :-)

Oh yeah - I use CNTRL-Z - I just said "undo" because that's what it does.

Move. M
Copy M CTRL.
Copy more than once. M CTRL distance, enter, 2,3,4...times, enter

I hadn't used the move shortcut yet. Saw it in the menu, but just never
used it.

IMHO the more short keys that you can use the easier the program is to
operate. IIRC some where in the Help there is an explanation on how to get
a list of all the short cuts.

Also you can make your own or change existing short cuts.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/17/2013 7:55 AM, Leon wrote:
IIRC some where in the Help there is an explanation on how to get
a list of all the short cuts.

Also you can make your own or change existing short cuts.

Window|Preference\Shortcuts

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/17/2013 9:22 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/17/2013 7:55 AM, Leon wrote:
IIRC some where in the Help there is an explanation on how to get
a list of all the short cuts.

Also you can make your own or change existing short cuts.

Window|Preference\Shortcuts

AND

http://download.trimble.com/sketchup...RMO3ODNM6MFOEA
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/17/2013 7:55 AM, Leon wrote:
IIRC some where in the Help there is an explanation on how to get
a list of all the short cuts.

Also you can make your own or change existing short cuts.

Window|Preference\Shortcuts

AND

http://download.trimble.com/sketchup...RMO3ODNM6MFOEA

Well try this

http://support.google.com/sketchup/b...&answer=116693
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/17/2013 9:43 AM, Leon wrote:

AND

http://download.trimble.com/sketchup...RMO3ODNM6MFOEA

Well try this

http://support.google.com/sketchup/b...&answer=116693

LOL ...

I'm one of those who have never used a single keyboard short cut with
Sketchup ... when modeling I have both hands full with the mouse in
right hand, and flying the helicopter with the SpaceNavigator in the left.

There are two short cut buttons on the SpaceNavigator that can be
programmed, but I left them on the default Zoom Extent and Device Settings.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/17/2013 10:03 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/17/2013 9:43 AM, Leon wrote:

AND

http://download.trimble.com/sketchup...RMO3ODNM6MFOEA

Well try this

http://support.google.com/sketchup/b...&answer=116693

LOL ...

I'm one of those who have never used a single keyboard short cut with
Sketchup ... when modeling I have both hands full with the mouse in
right hand, and flying the helicopter with the SpaceNavigator in the left.

There are two short cut buttons on the SpaceNavigator that can be
programmed, but I left them on the default Zoom Extent and Device Settings.

I don't care for having to move the cursor all over the screen.
There are darn few tools that I often use that I don't have a short cut for.
Although I use the mouse for choosing and applying materials.

Is there actually a select icon?

Well yes there is!! LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

LOL ...

I'm one of those who have never used a single keyboard short cut with
Sketchup ... when modeling I have both hands full with the mouse in
right hand, and flying the helicopter with the SpaceNavigator in the
left.

There are two short cut buttons on the SpaceNavigator that can be
programmed, but I left them on the default Zoom Extent and Device
Settings.

I don't care for having to move the cursor all over the screen.
There are darn few tools that I often use that I don't have a short cut
for.
Although I use the mouse for choosing and applying materials.

Is there actually a select icon?

Well yes there is!! LOL

To go a bit further with this, tools/commands that I use that do not
have an icon to implement.

I have a CTRL D for giving me all dimensions of an object.

G to make a component.

And probably a few others that I am at a complete loss right now. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

I don't care for having to move the cursor all over the screen.
There are darn few tools that I often use that I don't have a short
cut for. Although I use the mouse for choosing and applying materials.

I go both ways. I use a lot of shortcut keys in different applications, and
for others I use the menus, or the toolbars. I do everything on a laptop so
it is just a finger reach to hit my touchpad. Easier a lot of times than
hitting shortcut keys.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

To go a bit further with this, tools/commands that I use that do not
have an icon to implement.

I have a CTRL D for giving me all dimensions of an object.

You have that set up so that it will dimension the entire model?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/17/2013 4:57 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

Now, you got to the root of the issue ... remembering what those damn
keystroke shortcuts are. Gets more problematic with age, even for you
young pups. ;~)

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/17/2013 5:23 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

To go a bit further with this, tools/commands that I use that do not
have an icon to implement.

I have a CTRL D for giving me all dimensions of an object.

You have that set up so that it will dimension the entire model?

A pop up window to "give" the dimensions of a selected object or component.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/17/2013 5:38 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/17/2013 4:57 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

Oddly I know what they are when I need them, GPS. ;~) I just don't
know which ones are only shortcuts and which one are icons and short cuts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/17/2013 11:18 PM, Leon wrote:

Oddly I know what they are when I need them, GPS. ;~)

All I get is "Recalculating".

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Sketchup to the Max Pat Barber[_2_] Woodworking 2 May 11th 12 12:38 AM
Second SketchUp Bill Woodworking Plans and Photos 3 October 9th 09 12:08 AM
First SketchUp Bill Woodworking Plans and Photos 3 October 7th 09 03:47 PM
Sketchup 7 Leon Woodworking 80 March 2nd 09 02:51 PM
If you use Sketchup Paul Franklin Woodworking 4 January 17th 09 03:22 AM