Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Sketchup help

On 1/16/2013 10:02 AM, Bill wrote:
Swingman wrote:
On 1/15/2013 10:27 PM, wrote:

Ok, but can you scale with a factor of -1 in one dimension only?

Yes. Another handy scale feature is that you can hold down CTRL while
scaling and just scale from the center of the geometry.

How come if you scale a cube (or similar) with a factor of -1 overand
over, it will just "mosey on down the road"? I mean, in general, what
does this operation do to the figure and/or its position (besides "mosey
it" ; ) )?

Doing a scale with the Scale Tool with a factor of -1, twice to the same
component, and you end up with a component the same as the original with
which you started ... except it is now twice the distance further along
the axis you scaled on, as the width of the component.

Here, you may find this helpful ...(be sure to look at the other
definition option links to the left of the main paragraph):

http://support.google.com/sketchup/b...07&ctx=top ic

Keep in mind that "Flip Along", in the context menu when you right click
on an object, is another easy way to flip/mirror geometry, except that
you must keep in mind the AXIS upon which you want to flip, when using
that feature.

Many folks prefer to use Scale Tool|-1, so they don't have to trial and
error to get the same results with the Flip Along feature.

Personally, I prefer to use "Flip Along" for most instances, like with
rails and legs with mortises in them, etc.

YMMV ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net